Cluster munition craters cause huge FPS drop (what is HMDEndFrame?)

blklobo

5 hours ago, unknown said:

I only had the performance hit at the time they explode(not that extreme if i remember correct) in the past. I didn't had time for DCS for a couple months but found this issue after returning. So atleast for me it is a new problem, that the fps hit stayes after the explosion effect. I also noticed this online after a SU-33 dropped some cluster ammunition, looking at that area made DCS unplayable - you can divide them(figures down below) for VR.

I have created a very simple test mission. Just a Humvee waiting for a F-16 to drop 6 CBU-97 on caucasus map, no target unit, just "THE cross" 😉

My performance(2D) is 100+ fps before the F-16 drops the CBU's, fps drops to below 20 at explosion/dust/smoke and climbs back up to 35 fps after the effect ends. Panning around my fps climbs to 100+ fps everytime the former area of explosion is out of view and back down to ~35fps as long as the former area is in view.

Mission and track file attached, post will be edited with YT video after processing is finished.

It would be interesting to see your results. 

CBU_performance_mission.miz 8.88 kB · 2 downloads CBU_performance_track.trk 88.61 kB · 2 downloads

i will try it. though i cannot see what FPS you have since the video is blurry.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Below video, I dropped two CBU-105's with no crater model.  Also showing resource usage graph.  Skip to 2 minute mark to see where FPS drop starts to happen.

You can see the GPU usage spikes when looking at the site of CBU impact.  Even when there's nothing and smoke all dissipated.  CPU also spikes somewhat but not as much as GPU.  And towards the end you can see there are no craters.  But still GPU spikes when looking towards and away from impact site.

Below is same video WITH crater.  Results are virtually identical.

And as I noted above, this doesn't happen with MLRS which doesn't create crater.  Obvious place to look at in my opinion is the code that creates the crater.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of performance complaints are caused by this issue.  Craters do not dissappear as far as I know.  And it will accumulate longer you play a mission.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Mustang said:

I've found that reducing the dynamic2 parameter in graphics.lua to something alot lower helps with the FPS drops, not ideal but it's a stopgap.

Tried reducing from {300, 16000,0.5} to {1, 10,0.5} and still same result.  What value are you using?

My theory is that the problem is somehow connected to F10 map. I only relatively recently noticed that craters appear there as well, and bringing up the map is notoriously laggy. Just an idea...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

9 minutes ago, impalor said:

My theory is that the problem is somehow connected to F10 map. I only relatively recently noticed that craters appear there as well, and bringing up the map is notoriously laggy. Just an idea...

Craters don't appear on my F10 map.  Is that an option?

Thanks @Flappie 🍻

I have updated my GPU(not because of this problem) from a 1080ti to a RX6900XT.

Running the track my FPS went from ~170 before the drop to ~33 at the explosion and back up to ~55-59 after the explosion finished.

Whatever is causing the issue, i lost ~100fps with my old 1080ti and i loose ~100fps with my new RX6900xt, the difference is only that it is still "playable" on the RX6900xt(2D) but it wasn't on the 1080ti. That could be why some people "can't see the problem"? Looking somewhere and having a fps drop to ~60fps "isn't that bad" as to ~30ish, just my thoughts.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

For what its worth, last night with around 20 people in our multi player mission we were attacking/capturing Shiraz airport with multiple aircraft types and lots of different munitions. FPS for everyone during the battle was as low as it could get looking at the airport, but the moment we captured the airport the frames went back to normal. I have no idea what that means but we thought it was interesting.

• Like 1

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Yet another repro from my side, this time from 2D monitor.

It shows that even when F-16 TGP is looking into bombarded area, FPS are dropping from 130 to 34!!!!

When we can expect reaction from ED side? Any fix plan or even confirmation of bug reproduction?
This bug is not some esoteric discussions about "I lost 5 FPS after update X". 
This should be pinned topic discussed and (root cause) explained by developers.

This is real HUGE problem affecting everyone after using any type of bombs and it is a nightmare if anyone drop such bomb on MP server. The game is unplayable at such server after that!

Drop.jpg

Not sure it is a "bug" but just a incredible amount of explosions and effects going off at one time. I don't even use them any more because they are way way over powered.

The one that shoots the skeets upwards is more or less a mini nuke. No doubt the carnage can be better optimized but then some will complain about the graphics.

BTW I have pretty much the fastest setup you can get and would like to think my system is optimized, reasonable graphics settings and disable most background progs.

Even then a carpet bomb or numerous cluster munitions hit my machine HARD and sometimes turns into a slide show. My fix??? I don't use em.

20 hours ago, JIMJAM said:

Not sure it is a "bug" but just a incredible amount of explosions and effects going off at one time. I don't even use them any more because they are way way over powered.

The one that shoots the skeets upwards is more or less a mini nuke. No doubt the carnage can be better optimized but then some will complain about the graphics.

BTW I have pretty much the fastest setup you can get and would like to think my system is optimized, reasonable graphics settings and disable most background progs.

Even then a carpet bomb or numerous cluster munitions hit my machine HARD and sometimes turns into a slide show. My fix??? I don't use em.

It seems you didn't get the problem discussed here. The problem is NOT a FPS hit while you look at a cluster bomb explosion(this is as old as DCS), the problem is you look at the ground where the cluster bomb went off 20 minutes ago, no gfx effect is rendered, absolutely nothing is to see, just ground texture, no explosions, no smoke but your FPS drop drastically like the cluster bomb is still exploding, 20 minutes after you dropped it, every time you look at the area the bomb went off!

And if you fly on a MP server where someone drops cluster bombs you wonder why your FPS drop drastically looking in the direction the other guy dropped CBU's x minutes ago, that you never saw with your own eyes, all you notice is a drastic FPS drop looking in some driection, wondering what is going on.

🍻

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

yep this problem is absolutly horribble..... Playing with a Buddy on my 2 Plane MP server.... We are droping  few cluster bombs at our targets.... We both playing DCS in VR and after the explosions from the clusters the bottom are overseed with craters .... And this causes so masaive FPS drops so vr begins to stuttering and blacks sometimes out...... 

Simple solution. Posibility to switch the bomb craters off..... 

Greets 

Edited by grasnabe

3 minutes ago, grasnabe said:

i have readed it.... so i meant to switch the craters completly off.... or programming a new logic for the craters to improve performance.... 

Programming a new logic is hardly a simple solution.  And turning it off I doubt will be easy either as it seems the craters are created by each weapon.  Not globally as some weapons don't create craters.  Simpler to just fix the bug.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...