Cluster munition craters cause huge FPS drop (what is HMDEndFrame?)

blklobo

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Yes it's still there but it's slightly better.  Perhaps the overall performance improvement helped it somewhat.

This is pre-patch taken from the video I posted on previous page.  GPU is hitting 99%.

pre-patch.jpg

And this is post patch.  Same track but GPU staying below 99% so framerate doesn't drop like before which was why I wasn't getting stutter.  But the spike is still there and should be addressed.

Screenshot 2021-12-24 082119.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

On my end, FPS simply won't return to a normal level.

It goes like this with a fix view on the target:

• 90 fps
  • 90 fps (cbu dispenses cluster munitions)
  • 25 fps (cluster munitions explode with a lot of smoke, craters appear)
  • 30 fps (smoke is gone)
  • 30 fps (forever, tested during 8 hours using time acceleration)

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I think it's not related to cluster bomb only. On the campaign "worlds apart" mission 5.x, there is an outpost with mortar shelling insurgent not so far. Mortar created crater and as soon as you look in their direction fps are dropping below 30 fps. It's a slideshow mission, not fun when you are in a huey and in VR...fpsVR shown me GPU and CPU in red.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Not just cluster...its ground ordinance in general. Mine drop into single digits...I'd be embarrassed If I was the coder. This issue pops up so often (I'm talking since flanker days) that its comical...accept it's not. 

edit well I'm not 100% sure since flanker...but lockOn for sure...still embarrassing.

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

I did some analysis with 3dmigoto library on your track. Same as you, my fps went down to 20 after explosions.

There remains some shaders active after the explosion. One pixel shader is called for frame 000784 to 002156 for left eye, then from 2925 to 4301 for right eye, every 2 frames, there are ~650 calls per eye logged by the library !!!!!

I tried to skip all the involved shaders with the 3dmigoto library; it make fps going from 20 to 26 fps...fpsVR is still showing my 3080Ti saturated.

I changed the output of the shader to red to show where it is drawn and put a screenshot.

I joined also the log of the library.

@BIGNEWY : it seems to me that this is an obvious issue to be analyzed and solved by the devs. this is just making the game unplayable in VR. You have a track above to reproduce it.

Screen_200721_123346.jpg

log.zip

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 2

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I did more analysis, in 2D only.

Here is the number of call per shader call before CBU explosion:

before.JPG

And the same number after the CBU explosion:

after.JPG

You can see that 10 shaders are involved in high call numbers, only 1 is common to 2 situation.

So what if I skip them using the 3dmigoto library ? The two screenshot have been taken with the game in pause, I just add the skip of the nine shaders between both.

9 shaders not skipped

Capture.JPG

9 shaders skipped

Capture2.JPG

Do you guess what will be the next feature of my mod ? 😋

I think we can live without the craters if we have the fps and the choice to toggle them on/off by a single keypress...

Unfortunatelly, I need to finalize the last version of my mod for the Kegetys usage with the 2.7.9 beta before releasing it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fix is done.  Alt+ F3 will toggle it off/on. I won't set any menu option, as the devs should fix that for a next release...

I tested the mission weapon training in UH1, I did not see any problem. I put a lot of things on fire and had a lot of flame and fume.

But I'm not happy with my flat shadow soften function, I need to fix it before releasing the new version of the mod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Fix is done.  Alt+ F3 will toggle it off/on. I won't set any menu option, as the devs should fix that for a next release...

I tested the mission weapon training in UH1, I did not see any problem. I put a lot of things on fire and had a lot of flame and fume.

But I'm not happy with my flat shadow soften function, I need to fix it before releasing the new version of the mod.

Many thanks Lefuneste... could do you send to me what file specific disables shader craters allowing more fps? thanks

It would very kind of you if you can do only a MOD that removes ONLY shader craters, it could be possible please? many thanks.

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gryzor said:

Many thanks Lefuneste... could do you send to me what file specific disables shader craters allowing more fps? thanks

It would very kind of you if you can do only a MOD that removes ONLY shader craters, it could be possible please? many thanks.

Hello, I provided a beta version in the mod thread, in order to wait the final version with good flat shadow soften.

I do not know what you mean by  "file specific disables shader".

If you expect to have shaders files in "bazar\shader" this will not be the case, because 3dmigoto library is dumping uncompiled shaders, so at a lower level than the shader code in this folder. As I know, there is no easy way to get back from 1 shader dumped by 3Dmigoto  to the original .fx or .hlsl file.

I will not spit my mod into features, it is already a lot of work to maintain it and there is an entry ticket of ~2 fps for using 3dmigoto library. Morevorer, as all features can be disabled (and are not enabled by default) using an "in game" menu, splitting the mod will only allow you to win 1 or 2 fps at maximum in regard to a lot of work for me. But you can do it if you want, things are in clear text files : d3dx.ini for shader list (see "fix crater bug" section) and key selection to toggle fix in users_settings\user_keymapping.ini.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I attach two pictures. The same scene, with and without F3 Lefuneste fix: From 45 to 23 FPS (previously many rockets "landed" near the tank column). With the same graphics details and settings !!!

In frametimes (sorry I watch thorought steam VR tool, not FPS_VR), I pass from 10 ms (Lefuneste fps crater fix) to 44 ms (Vanilla version). In this scene. That is no a little fix, it i over 440% more performance... making the sim playable in VR again, specially with there are many units and effects. @DEVs please look at it.

Screen_211230_224701.png

Screen_211230_224706.png

I can confirm this, my FPS drops down from 90 to under 30 when looking at a previously bombed site, even there is no more smoke visible. That mod mentioned earlier in this thread completely fixed the problem for me, both modes 1 and 2 work equally well.

• Like 1

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:30 AM, Grodin said:

I can confirm this, my FPS drops down from 90 to under 30 when looking at a previously bombed site, even there is no more smoke visible. That mod mentioned earlier in this thread completely fixed the problem for me, both modes 1 and 2 work equally well.

Does mode 2 look any "worse" than mode 1? Did you notice any visible differences? 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:15 PM, lefuneste01 said:

Should be less smoke puffs.

Sorry, I have another question... Does this affect all smoke, or only the smoke from the CBU and minigun? 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

5 minutes ago, FupDuck said:

Sorry, I have another question... Does this affect all smoke, or only the smoke from the CBU and minigun? 

Smoke columns of destroyed vehicle are not affected, are the same as before. Only the "dusts" generated when CBU or others are exploding.

• Thanks 1

Am 28.12.2021 um 10:45 schrieb lefuneste01:

Hello, I provided a beta version in the mod thread, in order to wait the final version with good flat shadow soften.

I do not know what you mean by  "file specific disables shader".

If you expect to have shaders files in "bazar\shader" this will not be the case, because 3dmigoto library is dumping uncompiled shaders, so at a lower level than the shader code in this folder. As I know, there is no easy way to get back from 1 shader dumped by 3Dmigoto  to the original .fx or .hlsl file.

I will not spit my mod into features, it is already a lot of work to maintain it and there is an entry ticket of ~2 fps for using 3dmigoto library. Morevorer, as all features can be disabled (and are not enabled by default) using an "in game" menu, splitting the mod will only allow you to win 1 or 2 fps at maximum in regard to a lot of work for me. But you can do it if you want, things are in clear text files : d3dx.ini for shader list (see "fix crater bug" section) and key selection to toggle fix in users_settings\user_keymapping.ini.

How can i use your mod without the 3Dmigoto VR Mod? Is this IC compatible?

I experimented a bit and found out that:

-If you use KMGU bombs frames drop significantly even on flat terrain with no objects on it, PLUS frames keep very low even after long period of time after when there are no visible animations or effects of bombs.

- FPS drops only when looking on bombarded area

-FPS drops even with other weapons IF you use them a lot on the same location, for example-enable unlimited weapons and keep firing unguided rockets at the same area on the ground

-It seems that water in not affected by this

-After installing MOD 3DmigotoDCS_VR_12.0 and changing setting in sim FPS return to normal (regarding time after explosion animation is done and further)

-BUT even with this mod applied I get FPS drop if I continue to hit same place on the ground. For example, I drop 8xKMGU with su-25t, everything is fine, then I repeat this 5-10 times over same area, then FPS drop sticks to bomb drop location again.

1 hour ago, zulubravo said:

I experimented a bit and found out that:

-If you use KMGU bombs frames drop significantly even on flat terrain with no objects on it, PLUS frames keep very low even after long period of time after when there are no visible animations or effects of bombs.

- FPS drops only when looking on bombarded area

-FPS drops even with other weapons IF you use them a lot on the same location, for example-enable unlimited weapons and keep firing unguided rockets at the same area on the ground

-It seems that water in not affected by this

-After installing MOD 3DmigotoDCS_VR_12.0 and changing setting in sim FPS return to normal (regarding time after explosion animation is done and further)

-BUT even with this mod applied I get FPS drop if I continue to hit same place on the ground. For example, I drop 8xKMGU with su-25t, everything is fine, then I repeat this 5-10 times over same area, then FPS drop sticks to bomb drop location again.

Do you have a track (not too long, maybe you can use unlimited ammo ?)

I've applied the mod with OVGME and the menu appears in game however when I change the settings and save, it does not appear to make any difference to the FPS as expected.

Before CBU's and MK82's ~50 fps, after a few minute eventually recovers but only to ~40FPS with high GPU frame time

9900K 5ghz 64gb 3080ti Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Sl1ck said:

I've applied the mod with OVGME and the menu appears in game however when I change the settings and save, it does not appear to make any difference to the FPS as expected.

Before CBU's and MK82's ~50 fps, after a few minute eventually recovers but only to ~40FPS with high GPU frame time

9900K 5ghz 64gb 3080ti Reverb G2

Try with the track here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/287270-cluster-munition-craters-cause-huge-fps-drop-what-is-hmdendframe/?do=findComment&comment=4852146

If you do not have improvement => do the trouble shooting guide provided in first post of the mod thread, because you may have a config issue

If you have improvement => post a track, because other shaders may be involved. 

Forgive me, it's working perfectly. Maybe just needed a reboot or something.

Many thanks for your hard work.

Do you have any intentions on reducing MK82 lag? It doesn't stay laggy after the explosion like the cluster bombs, but the explosion itself is quite taxing.

We are doing lots of carpet bombing / rippling on some Vietnam missions and it's almost impossible with VR.

Also what about the A10's 30mm cannon, this is causing a lot of lag too

Edited by Sl1ck