Engine over heat issue is back

BSS_Vidar

Just flew the P-51 for the first time after the latest update.

This use to be bad... I mean BAD, then gradually became manageable, but still overly sensitive. Now, it's as if we've gone back to over ten years ago. Did someone click on the wrong button or something during the update? Because this engine cooks off again if you even look at it wrong.

I flew it in Max Continuous with the Rads in Auto - Engine ate itself. Then MaxCon with the Rads manually opened all the way... it ate itself. There's a reason they call it MAX CONTINUOUS.

Using WEP? Forget about it.. the damn thing spikes to red line in no time at all.

Can we get a look at this please?

I've got videos of Kermit Weeks flying his Pony and running it through its paces at all settings - the man never takes the RADs out of AUTO and the engine stays in the green the whole time.

V

6 hours ago, P-51 Mustang Pilot said:

I joined this form to see if this aircraft really blew it's cooling system whenever put in a climb resulting in momentarily buffeting before the nose drop. I can't help but feel if this were the case, it would have been a real exploitable weakness. 

You might be too slow then (or maybe use Game Flight mode, which is know to be bugged and cause flight model issues?). As long as you don't go below 170 IAS, you can fly on max continuous all day long (@BSS_Vidar - take note).

Just did some flying around Marianas map with weather set to "heat" preset and sea level temp at 35 C, climbing all the way to 23k on max continuous (at least where supercharger allowed it) - never did coolant temp go beyond the redline.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Nah I'm at full realism, and don't have an issue in a climb managing temps. It happens when I'm in the vertical chasing an enemy and airspeed is dropping rapidly. Coolant temp will be high (not past red line) and I'll pull the throttle back as I'm slowing through 100 MPH, but if it shudders as the nose is dropping back toward the ground, 9/10 times I'll see a trail of coolant coming out the back in the mirror. Inlet and carb levers are forward, and it doesn't matter if the radiators/oil coolers are set to auto or full open. I've read books and seen videos of Mustang pilots riding to near zero airspeed in the vertical, which was a critical aspect since as I'm sure you know the first one to stop climbing and start falling is in a bit of a pickle. It seems to be related to the stall buffet, where you lose control authority before regaining your airspeed in the resultant dive. I can go through this decelerating climb then decent evolution with the temps past red line and will be fine, so long as I don't encounter the buffet.

This overheating issue is becoming overbearing.  There is no way this flight model could be the same as the real plane.  If it is there would of been dead American and British pilots all over Europe.  The last update made it even worse now it is unmanageable in a dogfight with or without the oil cooler and radiator open.  It SUCKS BIG TIME and I am really pissed.  The next problem is the guns. The P51 carried armored piercing incendiary rounds.  These bullets hit like .303 or 7.62mm bullets.  Again...THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!  The update before this one upgraded the guns a bit and it was acceptable (NOT GREAT BUT ACCEPTABLE).  Now it is back to where it was months ago.  The same for the F86 Sabre.  I am beginning to think that the American planes are being messed with for spite.  Come on ED FIX THIS THING ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!🥵

12 hours ago, P-51 Mustang Pilot said:

Nah I'm at full realism, and don't have an issue in a climb managing temps. It happens when I'm in the vertical chasing an enemy and airspeed is dropping rapidly. Coolant temp will be high (not past red line) and I'll pull the throttle back as I'm slowing through 100 MPH, but if it shudders as the nose is dropping back toward the ground, 9/10 times I'll see a trail of coolant coming out the back in the mirror. Inlet and carb levers are forward, and it doesn't matter if the radiators/oil coolers are set to auto or full open. I've read books and seen videos of Mustang pilots riding to near zero airspeed in the vertical, which was a critical aspect since as I'm sure you know the first one to stop climbing and start falling is in a bit of a pickle. It seems to be related to the stall buffet, where you lose control authority before regaining your airspeed in the resultant dive. I can go through this decelerating climb then decent evolution with the temps past red line and will be fine, so long as I don't encounter the buffet.

Are you on stable or OB version? I believe the former still has this bug with carb and filter levers moving but not actually working, which might increase charge temp and make things worse. 2.7.8 is supposed to fix the issue, but I apart from the aforementioned climb I haven't tested it more thoroughly.

In either case, we know the rewrite of cooling code for all V-12 engines in the sim is in the works, so brutally honestly, I don't think ED will bother with hotfixing the old one...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I would fly the AC prior to the update and it would be fine...adjusting rads as needed or leave them on auto....Now, after the update...once in the air, it may or may not heat up right away, but given a few minutes, it is maxed out. Even if rads full open and in a dive with engine pulled back...blows the engine. Will not cool off and no matter what you do with the rads, it goes beyond redline.

Hope this is fixed quick.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Art-J said:

Are you on stable or OB version? I believe the former still has this bug with carb and filter levers moving but not actually working, which might increase charge temp and make things worse. 2.7.8 is supposed to fix the issue, but I apart from the aforementioned climb I haven't tested it more thoroughly.

In either case, we know the rewrite of cooling code for all V-12 engines in the sim is in the works, so brutally honestly, I don't think ED will bother with hotfixing the old one...

Stable. Every flight starts with them in the wrong position, which is really weird. I wonder why something so easily addressed gets missed update after update. A rewrite would be good news! And I agree with 99th_Snake—the 50 cal certainly seems to have gotten weaker. And I nearly typed the exact thing regarding how there'd be Mustangs littering Europe if this was actually how touchy the engine was.

Hope it's all sorted eventually. Appreciate the info!

Edited by P-51 Mustang Pilot
Spelling

Ive been easily flying in militarypower mode easily over15mins, with occasional breaks.

But yeah if you push the stang into a stall and dont regulate throttle or get back into a dive to let the engine cool down itll break.
But thats been like that for a while now? Cant see anything changed.

RAM Air still hast to be fixed manually.

10 hours ago, barry_c said:

+1 flew 51 yesterday, ambient temp, oil overheating with oil cooler open doing shallow climbs at 2700rpm 45" manifold

Can you at least tell what was the temp ??

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

i did a 45 min combat setting flight yesterday with no probs at all except once when i killed the engine going steep vertical for too long below 150mph.

gotta throttle down and break away before that and go into a dive to cool it off.

i'm on the latest stable version.

regular Editor settings on caucasus map. not screwed with ambient temperatures.

also, height would be a facotr. the stang is a high altitude fighter. its way cooler at 24k ft than on the deck.

stang performes way better above 7k ft. the dora and k4 will outrun it under 7k. not so in great heights.

each plane has its quirks. thats how it is.

Edited by Doughguy

+1000, it's very annoying. Basically if you ever go vertical, and your speed drops below 100 mph, your engine dies in 1-2 minutes. It doesn't matter if you throttle back. Less than 100 mph = dead engine. And whenever you go vertical your speed ought to drop below 100...

Incidentally, the AI's only defensive maneuver is going vertical, which makes this bug all the more annoying.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 7

Attach tracks if you can guys

• Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

You must map your RAM air control levers to an axis.  The clickable levers in the cockpit DO NOT WORK.  This will solve your max continuous problem.  However, there is still a slight issue with the auto oil.  It doesn't seem to start cooling until you hit the red line rather than leave the green zone.

5 hours ago, PD919 said:

You must map your RAM air control levers to an axis.  The clickable levers in the cockpit DO NOT WORK.  This will solve your max continuous problem.  However, there is still a slight issue with the auto oil.  It doesn't seem to start cooling until you hit the red line rather than leave the green zone.

Thermostats are set as maintenance manual says to set them.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 weeks later...

@spinCycle small correction Manifold pressure in P-51 is in inHg not in psi and it is absolute pressure so when engine is not running it will show 30 inHg.

50 inch of MP it will be about 10psi boost or 24psi absolute pressure in manifold.

at 110mph you are very close to stall speed, it is very slow, cooling system will not cool engine at this speed.

After take off accelerate to 170-180 mph and put plane in to climb.

As @Art-J said, i highly recommend to drop Game Flight Mode immediately.

Edited by grafspee

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, grafspee said:

I flew tested it after recent update and i didn't notice any change

There was a change, somehow, someway. We fly the 51 a lot. It’s overheating just sitting on the ground in auto. 

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

On 1/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, grafspee said:

@spinCycle small correction Manifold pressure in P-51 is in inHg not in psi and it is absolute pressure so when engine is not running it will show 30 inHg.

50 inch of MP it will be about 10psi boost or 24psi absolute pressure in manifold.

at 110mph you are very close to stall speed, it is very slow, cooling system will not cool engine at this speed.

After take off accelerate to 170-180 mph and put plane in to climb.

As @Art-J said, i highly recommend to drop Game Flight Mode immediately.

We are real world pilots. We don’t use game mode and we understand how to keep an engine cool. It was a problem when this plane first came out and was fixed. The problem returned and the only fix is taking the radiators out of auto and fully opening. Doesn’t matter if you’re idling get n the ground, clumping at 250 mph, cruising within proper parameters at 20k, etc. 

• Like 2

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals