Request - naval bombs for the liveries

Cpt. Weber

After an hour of Google searching, it looks like the gray color wasn't a thing until around 2006, best I can tell. Just in time for one or two final Tomcat cruises? Before that the bombs still had ablative coating but were green with gray tail assemblies. Both the gray and green ablative textures/roughmets are in the AeroWeapons.zip file in the DCS file structure. You just need to create a folder called "AeroWeapons," place those textures in the folder, and rename them so they match the default bomb textures. Voila. Will not pass IC, though.  

5 minutes ago, Nealius said:

After an hour of Google searching, it looks like the gray color wasn't a thing until around 2006, best I can tell. Just in time for one or two final Tomcat cruises? Before that the bombs still had ablative coating but were green with gray tail assemblies. Both the gray and green ablative textures/roughmets are in the AeroWeapons.zip file in the DCS file structure. You just need to create a folder called "AeroWeapons," place those textures in the folder, and rename them so they match the default bomb textures. Voila. Will not pass IC, though.  

Huh, are you sure those were the bombs loaded on the ship, not some land air base?

I thought the ablative fire-resistant coating was a Navy standard soon after the 1967 Forrestal fire.

22 minutes ago, Cpt. Weber said:

I thought the ablative fire-resistant coating was a Navy standard soon after the 1967 Forrestal fire.

It was. I was talking about the color, not the coating itself. In my research I found vague references to some kind of goopy substance used inside the bomb casings, not visible from the outside, prior to the 80s or 90s (rough guess). Then after that we got the rough ablative coating we now know today, but painted green:

image061.jpg

Dated 1997. Green Mk82 with gray tail assembly, appears to have ablative coating.

Earliest pictures of the gray coating I can find now are all in theater during OEF, but green bombs were still in circulation. Both of these photos are March 2002, VFA-131, OEF:

VFA-131-Wildcats-002.jpg

VFA-131-Wildcats-113.jpg

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

It was. I was talking about the color, not the coating itself. In my research I found vague references to some kind of goopy substance used inside the bomb casings, not visible from the outside, prior to the 80s or 90s (rough guess). Then after that we got the rough ablative coating we now know today, but painted green:

Dated 1997. Green Mk82 with gray tail assembly, appears to have ablative coating.

Earliest pictures of the gray coating I can find now are all in theater during OEF, but green bombs were still in circulation. Both of these photos are March 2002, VFA-131, OEF:

I see, thanks for the input! 🙂

7 hours ago, IronMike said:

Yep, this would rather be something for ED in general imo.

Ok, understood, thanks for the response.

Did some tinkering, and I was able to find (and add) the ablative coatings for all of the bombs except the Mk-20, Mk-81, Mk-82AIR, and inerts. Unpack the zip, and place the 'Liveries' folder in your \Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

Enjoy. 🙂

Note: No new textures are added. The edited liveries only use texture files already in the game.

Liveries.zip

ordnance.jpg

Edited by Pacientis
  • Like 2

To really make things "right" ED needs to tie ordnance liveries to dates within the ME, and potentially another indicator within LUA to designate an aircraft "service", ie if you have the NAVY flag then the navalized ordnance skins are applied. Then before certain dates, you get white AIM-54s, and after you can have gray. Even more fun if you can have it use chance and pull a random livery from a folder to allow for customized bombs and missiles, or show mixes during transitional periods like the late 80s-early 90s for AIM-54.

IMO they also need to expand the ME date filters and nationality concepts to be able to influence aircraft systems. If they did this, it would be something that I'd envision allowing for us just to have a -95 GR Tomcat, and then based on the ME date restrict systems like the TCS for the US. You could select the "135" in the 80s and have it restrict the LANTIRN and A/G loadouts before say 1996 (technically '99 was first deployment and use of A models with the capability but VF-103 with the B had a cruise with LANTIRN in 1996, and the capability was rolled out across A/B models).

And if Iran is selected allow it to restrict more systems and select a specific cockpit config for example. And apply weapon restrictions as well. If that could be done then perhaps it could reduce the footprint of having the Iranian jet, older US jet, "late" 135 jet, and the A+/B all having to be separate folders and files. 

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

2 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

and potentially another indicator within LUA to designate an aircraft "service", ie if you have the NAVY flag then the navalized ordnance skins are applied.

The service part wouldnt be needed imo, just the spawn point. What could prolly work would be spawn on ground -> normal and spawn on carrier -> naval. As for air spawns, I guess it wouldnt matter too much if defaults are used for service type aircraft, that is navals for naval aircraft and normal ones for F16, F15 etc.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

27 minutes ago, IronMike said:

The service part wouldnt be needed imo, just the spawn point. What could prolly work would be spawn on ground -> normal and spawn on carrier -> naval. As for air spawns, I guess it wouldnt matter too much if defaults are used for service type aircraft, that is navals for naval aircraft and normal ones for F16, F15 etc.

I guess the alternative ED maintains a list of which skins to use per module, or, modules/mods just have a LUA callout somewhere which sets to use.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

On 11/23/2021 at 4:02 AM, Pacientis said:

Did some tinkering, and I was able to find (and add) the ablative coatings for all of the bombs except the Mk-20, Mk-81, Mk-82AIR, and inerts. Unpack the zip, and place the 'Liveries' folder in your \Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

Enjoy. 🙂

Note: No new textures are added. The edited liveries only use texture files already in the game.

Liveries.zip 43.02 kB · 7 downloa

Thank you, this will do for now!

• Like 1