Translucent filament recommendation

rocketeer

For those of you who 3D print panels, is there a brand that you have tried that is a good translucent white that can work as top or light panel before being painted black? Most PLA filaments are transparent clear or opaque white. I have not really seen any translucent white which is best for spreading out light evenly. There are translucent PLAs for other colors but just not for white.

Depending on your print settings and light intensity, "normal" white could do the job you want.
As an example, take a look at this project:

I have some white from a "Labinst" 4-pack which behaves like that.

Add to that, "transparent" PLA tends to come out translucent anyway.

It's also worth searching YouTube for "3d printed light diffuser".

The other thing is you can use a thin sheet of white polystyrene, maybe .01mm thick behind it to diffuse the light better, modeling plasticard is cheap and can be cut to shape with scissors. Using 'transparent' filament with a diffuser behind it will have the effect you want

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:47 AM, rocketeer said:

For those of you who 3D print panels, is there a brand that you have tried that is a good translucent white that can work as top or light panel before being painted black? Most PLA filaments are transparent clear or opaque white. I have not really seen any translucent white which is best for spreading out light evenly. There are translucent PLAs for other colors but just not for white.

Hi.

I use "Winkle", but this is a spanish brand, can't tell out of Spain. It is a transparent one, not translucent, but good enugh to paint it black and have the light going trough

Saludos.

Saca111