FLIR on BS3.

CYPHER11

Hey guys,

really hyped for the BS3-want to ask if we can expect to have some kind of FLIR for the BS3 for the shkval? What can we expect from bs3 else than MWS and IGLA?

FLIR would be great - for night missions and to spot some kind of hidden enemy‘s 🙂

thank you guys 😉

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

The trouble is we would need ka-52 for flir. This involves also radar(it fits in wide nose), which in worst variant can support r73 and in theory r77. There is even the variant with AESA radar.

However this would not be bs3 anymore. Also, general tendency is that no red will be a top dog of the era. Bs3 we might get for "balance" reasons. I expect minimal rework.

1 час назад, okopanja сказал:

The trouble is we would need ka-52 for flir. This involves also radar(it fits in wide nose), which in worst variant can support r73 and in theory r77. There is even the variant with AESA radar.

However this would not be bs3 anymore. Also, general tendency is that no red will be a top dog of the era. Bs3 we might get for "balance" reasons. I expect minimal rework.

That would be Ka-50N (with FLIR) and Ka-50Sh (with FLIR and mast radar, the latter was dismantled later). That's not what we're getting, see my post above. That's pretty sad of course, but if there is an option to ban the radar on the Apache on the server it might end up somewhat balanced seeing how most servers are operating with perfect weather anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WarbossPetross said:

That would be Ka-50N (with FLIR) and Ka-50Sh (with FLIR and mast radar, the latter was dismantled later). That's not what we're getting, see my post above. That's pretty sad of course, but if there is an option to ban the radar on the Apache on the server it might end up somewhat balanced seeing how most servers are operating with perfect weather anyway.

I gather you are not talking about Arablet. ka-52s current radar (first one is current, later down AESA:

8 часов назад, okopanja сказал:

I gather you are not talking about Arablet. ka-52s current radar (first one is current, later down AESA:

That's a negative. The Arbalet is indeed the nose-mounted radar on Ka-52 while Ka-50Sh had the radar over the rotor shaft hub just like the Apache.k50-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, WarbossPetross said:

That's a negative. The Arbalet is indeed the nose-mounted radar on Ka-52 while Ka-50Sh had the radar over the rotor shaft hub just like the Apache.

Intersting white missile on that helicopter. I expect that both apache and ka-50 have rotating dishes in the mast?

Edited by okopanja
corrected designation

53 minutes ago, WarbossPetross said:

Don't know if they actually rotate, but the round housing hints that they do. Would be happy to find out though.

We are going slightly off topic, but this is something to remember about those radars.

There is nice picture here:

https://www.radartutorial.eu/19.kartei/08.airborne/karte031.en.html

Obviously the whole radar together with the cooling is packed into the radome. This in turn means that rotating it, would mean everything would rotate, which in turn means it can not cover 360 degrees in automated scan mode.

Furthermore here:

https://www.northropgrumman.com/what-we-do/an-apg-78-longbow-fire-control-radar/

when discussing the additions to AH-64E, compared to AH-64D, they state:

In addition to the new Maritime Targeting Mode, other significant advanced capabilities provided to the AH-64E include: Doubling target detection ranges from the original 8 km to 16 km (1) (4X increased detection volume) – further extending crucial situational awareness; 360 degree surveillance (2) and single target track across land, air and sea missions and improved detection of smaller unmanned aerial vehicles (3).

(1) probably increased power and/or increased size of antenna

(2) this would imply that whole thing rotates now. 2 options:

(2.1) high speed rotation (this would mean that electronics + cooling is not anymore in radome)

(2.2) low speed rotation (possibly manually controlled by operator)

(3) now it is clear how Israelis did manage to gun down the small drone recently

(4) AH-64D in DCS should not posses 360 degree capability and should be limited to 8 km max range (I have to check in their videos how this work).

What does it mean for Ka-50? Mast radar dome probably does not contain the electronics, therefore maybe even rotates.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, okopanja said:

(4) AH-64D in DCS should not posses 360 degree capability and should be limited to 8 km max range (I have to check in their videos how this work).

It will have a 360 degree aerial search but ground search will be limited to the frontal arc. The entire dome rotates when scanning.

27 minutes ago, okopanja said:

What does it mean for Ka-50? Mast radar dome probably does not contain the electronics, therefore maybe even rotates.

It's been a while since I saw much on the Ka-52's radar system(s), but the arrangement was supposed to be a mast mounted antenna for aerial scanning and a nose mounted for A/G scanning/targeting. I haven't seen the mast mounted antenna show up outside of some prototype images.

22 minutes ago, NeedzWD40 said:

It will have a 360 degree aerial search but ground search will be limited to the frontal arc. The entire dome rotates when scanning.

I am pretty sure that if rotates, it rotates are rather slow speed. Also the manufacturer is ruling out the scanning 360 for the AH-64D, since they emphase this is the upgrade on AH-64E.

24 minutes ago, NeedzWD40 said:

It's been a while since I saw much on the Ka-52's radar system(s), but the arrangement was supposed to be a mast mounted antenna for aerial scanning and a nose mounted for A/G scanning/targeting. I haven't seen the mast mounted antenna show up outside of some prototype images.

It appears 061 unit from picture above is Ka-52. This might be even AESA variant

ka52_nesvetaev.jpg

Ka-52 actually carry a FH-01 Myech-1U radar with Air Intercept, Terrain Avoidance and Surface Search modes.
KA-52R (Navalized) carry a Zhuk-A radar  with Air Intercept, Terrain Avoidance and Surface Search modes.
Ka-52M carry a V-006 Rezets radar with Air Intercept and Surface Search modes.
None of them has ISAR/SAR modes. Actually has not fitted with planned mast mounted radar (surelly pic has a MAKS mockup radar).

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I am pretty sure that if rotates, it rotates are rather slow speed. Also the manufacturer is ruling out the scanning 360 for the AH-64D, since they emphase this is the upgrade on AH-64E.

360 degree aerial search has been a feature of the APG-78 from day 1. The upgrades pertain to A/G search/track all around. Rotation speed is about as you'd expect for most mechanically scanned arrays; rough estimate is about 60deg/sec.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NeedzWD40 said:

360 degree aerial search has been a feature of the APG-78 from day 1. The upgrades pertain to A/G search/track all around. Rotation speed is about as you'd expect for most mechanically scanned arrays; rough estimate is about 60deg/sec.

AH-64D Apache/Longbow: Longbow has APG-78 has LPI, Surface Surface, Terrain Avoidance and Fire Control radar. On 2016: APG-78 Improved radar fitted, possibly ISAR mode added.
AH-64E Guardian: Has APG-78 Improved radar LPI, Surface Surface, Terrain Avoidance and Fire Control radar (Posible ISAR). Jan 21: Version 6 delivered with Link 16 data link, double radar range, maritime radar mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...