Is this normal for VR on a 3080ti/G2

Guppy

I decided to check out VR again in DCS. I got the Reverb G2 and I'm pretty impressed with the headset and lenses, in other games. Anyway... My frames show above 45 in most scenes (the frame counter that DCS displays) even well into the 60s/70s and 80s. However the cockpit, when I move around, microstutters and ghosts. It's really choppy when I move around. In fact, if I keep my head still, looking forward, the scenes and things flying by my view are pretty smooth. but it's whenever I move around... things ghost, micro stutter, it feels terrible.

Interestingly enough, when I take my headset off and move it around, the reprojection of it onto the monitor looks smooth, but man when that headset is on it is absolutely atrocious.

Any thoughts?

DCS Settings:
- Stock VR settings; even lowered everything to the lowest with no improvement
- I also turned off all of my exports in the .lua and cleared out the typical cache folders.
- PD set to 1

STEAM VR Settings:
- Refresh @90hz
- Resolution per eye: 60-150% no noticeable change
- Super Sampling off

Windows Settings:
- I followed the various guides and have all of the normal non-sense that windows thinks is better turned off.

I'm running:
8700k @5.2ghz
EVGA Hydrocopper 3080ti
32gb RAM
NVME for windows
SSD dedicated to DCS.

Edited by Guppy

21 minutes ago, Guppy said:

That's in the Steam VR settings, right? I switched that on and I did not notice any difference. It seemed roughly the same.

In the wmr steamvr menu, set it to auto and enable the motion smoothing indicator that's buried in the settings somewhere.

Green square means you're above refresh rate, blue means you're reprojecting (60-89fps) and red means it's turned off (below 60fps). There is one setting in steamvr where it will turn on all of the squares on the indicator, this is still smoothing off, if you only have one square visible then it's on and working correctly.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Set motion smoothing to "Force Always-On" in the steam video per apps setting for DCS.  It will lock your frames to 45 but it will smooth everything out.

Only real way to get smooth frames is to either be able to power the headset to its full resolution and speed (90fps all the time) or to run motion smoothing.

I find Motion Vectoring with WMR to be superior to Steam's Motion Smoothing, but its also more finicky with DCS it seems.

• Like 1

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

If your frame time for cpu and gpu is less than 11ms you can achieve 90fps

above 11 and below 22 you can achieve 45. Above 22 it is whatever it is.

If you motion smoothing Enabled, it will switch between 90 to 45 to below depending on the cpu and gpu frame time.

motion smoothing forced will force 45 even if your frametimes are below 11ms, but if you are above 22ms you will still be whatever it is. The advantage it is consistent sometime you experience a ‘stutter’ when switching between45 and 90 and visa versa.

disabled you get whatever frame rate you get for any given frametime.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

What's your setting in wmr for steam vr settings as above. Either set to vector or per app

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

38 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

What's your setting in wmr for steam vr settings as above. Either set to vector or per app

I guess I'm confused... I don't know what WMR for Steam VR settings. I have a Mixed Realty Portal that when I select settings take me to the windows settings above. Is there something else I should be downloading? I've tried searching for WMR for Steam VR settings and I cant find anything.

Well these settings made the world of a difference so thank you all for spending time with me on your Sunday to help explain these things...

I'll have a lot to adjust within DCS itself so I'll spend the next few hours doing that. I even have my DCS bios panels working for my simpit, too without causing issues.

90hz vs. 60... what's the difference? Is the alternative 30fps?

• Thanks 1

some people can deal with running at  60hz some not, running at 60hs increases the frame times but the hz, is reduced to 60/30, some people can sustain 60hz, not many but it can be done.

3 hours ago, Guppy said:

Glad you're getting a smoother experience!

60hz in a reverb has noticable refresh rate flicker when jumping from 90hz, i have to use 60hz because I only have a gtx1070 and can't reliably pull low enough frametimes to enable the wmr motion smoothing to work. I didn't notice the flickering after about 20 minutes.

The advantage of 60hz is due to how wmr handles the thresholds for when smoothing is applied.

Essentially at 90hz refresh, any frametimes from 11ms to 22ms (90fps to 45fps) will be smoothed down to 45fps, any more than 22ms and it will turn off as I guess it can't interpolate enough frames to accurate display the picture without artifacts.

At 60hz any frametimes from 16ms to 33ms (I think) will be smoothed down to 30fps, more than 33ms and it turns off.

Basically if you can pull more than 60fps (16ms or less frametime) consistently then run in 90hz mode, if smoothing is turning itself off with a red square in the indicator then try the 60hz mode.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, Guppy said:

omg I figured it out... there are way too many places that settings are located. They just need one app with one set of settings. I'll give this a test now.

I'm still confused actually.  What did you figure out?

On 11/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, Guppy said:

Well these settings made the world of a difference so thank you all for spending time with me on your Sunday to help explain these things...

I'll have a lot to adjust within DCS itself so I'll spend the next few hours doing that. I even have my DCS bios panels working for my simpit, too without causing issues.

What settings did you change to/from?

Enabled motion smoothing, with WMR for steamvr the motion smoothing is buried in a sub menu and obtusely is not affected by the first option that you see in the main steamvr settings.
The menu is found on the path linked to by @dureiken above or accessed from the within the headset via the windows mixed reality for steamvr sub menu (somewhere bottom left of the steamvr dashboard).

Setting it to motion vector will force the smoothing all the time and peg the fps to half of refresh rate but can introduce some artifacts. Setting it to auto will only engage the smoothing when fps is between 55% and 100% or the refresh rate, below 55% it will turn it off and it will stutter, above 100% it will turn it off and the image won't artifact because you are above refresh rate.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:53 AM, NavyKnight said:

I'm still confused actually.  What did you figure out?

What settings did you change to/from?

Basically what edmuss said directly above. There are WMR Settings, SteamVR Settings and DCS settings. Some of these settings are buried in submenus and based on the responses I was finally able to identify, change and test these to success.

Hi NavyKnight,

The place you need to go on your machine is here (I copied and pasted the following path from Dureiken's post): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

Just remember, the path shown above may differ from machine to machine, depending on where you installed Steam.  When you run that "OpenVRSettingsUX.exe" file, you will get a screen just like what Dureiken has in his post from 11-21-21.  Click on the graphics tab on the left of that box, and then select either Auto or Motion Vector in the menu on the right.  Personally, I like to use the Motion Vector setting because it keeps motion vectoring turned on at all times.  With it set to Auto, I found that it would sometimes have these little "hitches" in the smoothness of the display as motion vectoring was automatically switched on and off.  As for the FPS counter, when you have motion vectoring (not motion smoothing) turned on, that will show a number that will never go higher than 45 fps.  But, don't be discouraged by that, because FPS counters are not capable of measuring the interpolated frames generated by motion vectoring.  You're actually getting an FPS anywhere from 45 to 90, it just can't be measured properly by FPS counters.  The true test of whether motion vectoring is working is to sit in the cockpit and rapidly move your head left and right, laterally.  If its not working, you'll see smearing and stuttering of the cockpit instruments.  Don't use the "motion smoothing" setting in the normal SteamVR menu.  I have never had that setting actually do anything...and I always use the OpenVRSettingUX.exe file to turn motion vectoring on and off, which works every time.  I have a shortcut to OpenVRSettings.exe on my desktop so I can get to it easily, since some VR applications on my machine don't like having that turned on.  The alternative to using that file involves using your hand controllers and turning it on in the SteamVR dashboard that you would see in your headset.  For me, that's just an extra PITA that I don't want to deal with.  Running the .exe from the normal desktop screen is so much easier.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: