RDR New Update: Unable to lock anything because traces are too short (SOLVED !)

pieroboy99

Hi ! 😱

From a approxymative state but still manageable, the last update make the RDR quite unusable: the trace are so short that it's impossible to lock anything !

I mean for a decent user like  me who doesn't have a master in Doppler effects.

The remanance is too short, i can't have a clear view of a basic AO, they disappear as they come ! Whatever my setting !

Really angry of this so called "progress". Plus on the VTB viewport there's a dark background too dark.

The sad thing is that i'm positive about the fact that the DEV did their best and worked hard !

But a regular user can't play the M2K anymore. I'm now stuck in the mission 9 of the excellent @baltic_dragon's RED FLAG

Just to say, i shouldn't be the only one !

Screen_211122_110445.png

Edited by pieroboy99
complement

Hi,

I can use the radar just fine, I don't understand your issue.

Could you upload a track or a short video of what you call "remanance is too short" ? 

The radar has been reviewed by SMEs and is quite realistic in behavior and symbology, using the RDI is hard IRL and is also hard in the sim.

Thanks.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

5 minutes ago, pieroboy99 said:

Sorry @myHelljumper, nothing personal and you're the one i didn't want to hurt !

But the time a bogey stay on the screen is like a tenth of a second, so it's impossible to lock, say rather too hard.

It's difficult to post a video to illustrate sadly.

I will try harder....

No hurting was done.

I think you are not understanding something about the new radar implementation, as said above this could be false contact that you are trying to lock onto.

Without a video it's going to be hard to help you.

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

24 minutes ago, caponi said:

What are these false contacts ??

Ground returns/clutter that the doppler gate doesn't catch, they are easy to differentiate from a real contact as they don't persist.

IIRC there's a doppler setting that reduces/removes most of these false returns at the cost of a reduced detection range (55 --> 45).

As a novelty you can disable the doppler filter completely and see false returns from every hill top, building, etc. but it's not something to use in battle :lol:

35 minutes ago, caponi said:

OT: should these false contact also seen in F-16/F-18 ?

Unknown, different radars, different frequencies.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I would definitely recommend flying with the hardened noise gate on for a while to get a feel for the radar and locking contacts and what the persistence of a real contact looks like. For most missions and campaigns the reduced detection range really shouldn't be an issue. It's the "A" button on the radar control panel (PCR) between the presentation switch and the elevation type switch. 

From what I understand, the radars in something like the F-16 or 18 have something like the RDI's noise gate on all the time. Very different systems and very different ways of managing the radar. The M-2000 with the radar control panel and dedicated VTB is pretty old school and super badass when you get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

You will be used to false contacts quite fast :

- They are most of the time between 0.3 and 0.8 mach (and never faster than your aircraft)

- They never last at the same place

- They are single, while true contacts will be multiple in 4, 2 lines, or 1 line with remanence on

I'm talking about the manual in your game files.

I'm not talking about Chuck's guide, it is not up to date yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGcHNSQVgcicmc-bWUrB7FffXWLW9fW4/view?usp=sharing

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Like 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

By experience, the RDI is very well modeled with the good probability of detection and almost false alarm rate. Don’t forget that it HFR the radar performs a post integration of pulses so the symbol displayed is synthetic and the threshold is managed by a CFAR constant false alarm rate algorithm. In BFR’ the threshold is managed by the radar gain that can be adjusted manually and positioned just above the noise level to manage the disturbance of ground clutter.

False alarms in a radar is the every day life for a pilot that must be able to distinguish the good from the false based on tactical analysis of indicated parameters and yet I don’t speak of intentional realistic false alarms created by jammers that are much more disturbing.

• pieroboy99 changed the title to RDR New Update: Unable to lock anything because traces are too short (SOLVED !)
  • 1 month later...