On 4/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, Talisman_VR said:

Hello Folks,

Great server.  🙂

Enjoying the server whilst flying in the Huey, but would appreciate some tips on how best to insert troops and carry out Heli Ops.  For example:

1.  How do I know where best to drop off my troops for combat (how do I now where the enemy troops are)?

2.  Is it worth more than 1 Huey (2 or 3 plus) dropping off troops together in the same place or is that a waste?

3.  Why do my troops not disembark sometimes, even when I am within range and taking hits from enemy units?  Disembarkation success seems very hit and miss.  😞

4.  Is the human ground controller able to contact Huey pilots and detail troop insertion points in a joined up organised way?  

5.  Would there be any mileage in having a Helicopter Operations Controller slot available on SRS?  I ask this because the single ground controller slot currently available on SRS mostly appears to be very busy and focused on fast air.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Hi,

Thanks for checking out the server. In general, just so you know the best way to get answers is to post in the discord. We rely on that more so than the forums. To answer your questions:
1) It is within a 3km radius. You can see the enemies, then use the f10 map to measure your position relative to theirs. 

2) More often than not, it is better to drop them all at once. When the squads deploy, they despawn after 3 minutes and kill 2 units each within a 3km radius. Each squad is 4 soldiers.

3) Disembark should only happen when you land within the enemy frontline sector. We have not had any issues with this. They do not work against depot targets.

4) Yes, just ask them.

5) There are 4 or 5 GCI slots in GCI. So this should be possible, can you clarify?

• Thanks 2

The launch date is May 21. There will most likely be a stress test prior to launch with the patreon supporters. *Please note the new naval mechanics will come post-release.* We will release, then adapt the core code base to be able to build more mechanics for both Caucuses and Syria. The F-4 and Mig-23, as they are not released yet will be slipped into the mission when they are released.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

Hi,

Thanks for checking out the server. In general, just so you know the best way to get answers is to post in the discord. We rely on that more so than the forums. To answer your questions:
1) It is within a 3km radius. You can see the enemies, then use the f10 map to measure your position relative to theirs. 

2) More often than not, it is better to drop them all at once. When the squads deploy, they despawn after 3 minutes and kill 2 units each within a 3km radius. Each squad is 4 soldiers.

3) Disembark should only happen when you land within the enemy frontline sector. We have not had any issues with this. They do not work against depot targets.

4) Yes, just ask them.

5) There are 4 or 5 GCI slots in GCI. So this should be possible, can you clarify?

Many thanks for getting back Enigma89 and thanks again for the server.  Also, good luck with the upcoming Syria campaign server.

Sorry, but I don't use Discord as I am unable to agree and sign/check box their terms and conditions and privacy requirements; therefore, I am grateful for the forums.  🙂

1.  So if I understand correctly, we need to hunt for the enemy first before we can fly with intelligence information to a known drop zone.  I am now getting better at this and am managing to find the enemy more often 🙂, usually always in the first front line segment.  May I suggest that in addition to hunting as a single individual Huey, perhaps one or two official HQ Command designated drop zones might add some realism and immersion for the helicopter crews.

2.  I am trying to understand if there will be enough targets for all the troops if 4 or 5 Huey's drop off their troops in the same place, or would that be a waste of effort?  Also, may I suggest that it might be worth considering extending the 3km radius a little wider.

3.  I think I now understand why my troops sometimes did not embark.  It seems that I may have been too near an enemy airfield that we are not supposed to attack.  So that was my bad.  Also, I was trying to drop troops inside yellow circles and I think I should not do that.  I am not sure what the yellow circles mean though. 

4.  Yes, I have tried asking them, but they are always too busy with fast air.  That is why I suggest that an officially designated Heli Ops Commander slot might be useful and more effective for Heli Ops.  I think that what you have provided on the server for Heli Ops is the best I have seen.  🙂  So good in fact that it would be nice to expand the Heli Ops if you can. 

Thank you again.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Thanks 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

On 4/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, Talisman_VR said:

Many thanks for getting back Enigma89 and thanks again for the server.  Also, good luck with the upcoming Syria campaign server.

Sorry, but I don't use Discord as I am unable to agree and sign/check box their terms and conditions and privacy requirements; therefore, I am grateful for the forums.  🙂

1.  So if I understand correctly, we need to hunt for the enemy first before we can fly with intelligence information to a known drop zone.  I am now getting better at this and am managing to find the enemy more often 🙂, usually always in the first front line segment.  May I suggest that in addition to hunting as a single individual Huey, perhaps one or two official HQ Command designated drop zones might add some realism and immersion for the helicopter crews.

2.  I am trying to understand if there will be enough targets for all the troops if 4 or 5 Huey's drop off their troops in the same place, or would that be a waste of effort?  Also, may I suggest that it might be worth considering extending the 3km radius a little wider.

3.  I think I now understand why my troops sometimes did not embark.  It seems that I may have been too near an enemy airfield that we are not supposed to attack.  So that was my bad.  Also, I was trying to drop troops inside yellow circles and I think I should not do that.  I am not sure what the yellow circles mean though. 

4.  Yes, I have tried asking them, but they are always too busy with fast air.  That is why I suggest that an officially designated Heli Ops Commander slot might be useful and more effective for Heli Ops.  I think that what you have provided on the server for Heli Ops is the best I have seen.  🙂  So good in fact that it would be nice to expand the Heli Ops if you can. 

Thank you again.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Hey Talisman, 

1/2.) Yes you need to find the enemy units first and place them within that 3km area. There are ALOT of frontline units so even if you mobbed with a ton of hueys it shouldn't be wasted effort in almost any scenario to drop units near the frontline and have an effect. 
We have additional plans for Helicopter operations to add some more roles and missions for them in the future. Since you're not on this discord you'll have to wait to see what those will be in due time, but in short we're doing a big code refactor and we aren't adding new features until that is done. 

As far as making the distances longer, they were much wider when the feature was first released  and helo insertions can be quite powerful, we'll take the suggestion about making it bigger, but we evaluate a lot of factors when we make adjustments like that. 

3.) The yellow circles indicate significant SAM threats.

4.) There are generally enough slots in Taccom for people to share. In fact, I haven't noticed it full before so I don't think there's any real need to make one a "heli ops command slot" nor really a way to enforce it even if it were named as such 😕

Thanks for enjoying our server, we have more features to come! 

On 4/26/2022 at 1:59 AM, Tempest7 said:

Hey Talisman, 

1/2.) Yes you need to find the enemy units first and place them within that 3km area. There are ALOT of frontline units so even if you mobbed with a ton of hueys it shouldn't be wasted effort in almost any scenario to drop units near the frontline and have an effect. 
We have additional plans for Helicopter operations to add some more roles and missions for them in the future. Since you're not on this discord you'll have to wait to see what those will be in due time, but in short we're doing a big code refactor and we aren't adding new features until that is done. 

As far as making the distances longer, they were much wider when the feature was first released  and helo insertions can be quite powerful, we'll take the suggestion about making it bigger, but we evaluate a lot of factors when we make adjustments like that. 

3.) The yellow circles indicate significant SAM threats.

4.) There are generally enough slots in Taccom for people to share. In fact, I haven't noticed it full before so I don't think there's any real need to make one a "heli ops command slot" nor really a way to enforce it even if it were named as such 😕

Thanks for enjoying our server, we have more features to come! 

Very many thanks for responding Tempest7 and for helping me to better appreciate how this brilliant server is managed.  Thankyou also for the news regarding future features and plans for helicopter operations in terms of roles and missions.  :joystick:

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 8:40 PM, Enigma89 said:

Hi,

4) Yes, just ask them.

Watched a video on your WVR F-14  I'm interested in flying on the server soley with the F-14 with some friends.   But I saw on video I might not be able to fly it until I kill ground stuff first ?  Is that still the case ?   

3 hours ago, USA_Recon said:

Watched a video on your WVR F-14  I'm interested in flying on the server soley with the F-14 with some friends.   But I saw on video I might not be able to fly it until I kill ground stuff first ?  Is that still the case ?   

Yes, you need to kill 10 ground targets. The F-14 and Mig-29 act as a carrot to incentivize users to take part in the campaign and not just airquake.

On another note, we have finished our second survey stream which was hosted by Tempest. Here is the VOD, we covered the survey results and the stats of the plane performance.

Edited by Enigma89
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

The Syria mission is live now

Hi Enigma89,

Some Syria map mission feedback for you from someone who only flies the Huey on your server.  Along with a friend, I logged on to your server last night with both of us keenly anticipating some great Huey helicopter flying as usual.  We particularly like carrying out troop insertions and having a positive impact on the ground war.

First off we were happy to give the Syria map a go and looking forward to it.  However, very soon we left the server totally dejected and disappointed.  Please bring back the Caucasus map!

We found flying the Huey to be mostly a total waste of time.  For low level slow movers, like the Huey, the terrain is barren, awfully boring and lacking in cover for our operations.  We stand out like the proverbial dogs bollocks!  We stand little chance of surviving, let alone achieving a mission objective.  We were blown out of the sky almost every time we tried to move into enemy territory.  We achieved a big fat zero and had no enjoyment in flying over the terrain either. 

Satisfaction with the server and impact on missions has taken a death dive to zero and worse than very dissatisfied.  This is very sad because pervious to trying the Syria map I was more than very satisfied with the server and thought is was fantastic with the Caucasus geography.  I had encouraged friends and fellow Huey pilots to join the server in the past, but I now find I can't recommend the server at all.

Thanks for trying, but so far the Syria map is a no go for me as I only fly the Huey and that is just not enjoyable with the Syria map as it stands.

Will you still offer the Caucasus map in rotation?  Perhaps on a weekly/monthly basis?  

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

24 minutes ago, Talisman_VR said:

Hi Enigma89,

Some Syria map mission feedback for you from someone who only flies the Huey on your server.  Along with a friend, I logged on to your server last night with both of us keenly anticipating some great Huey helicopter flying as usual.  We particularly like carrying out troop insertions and having a positive impact on the ground war.

First off we were happy to give the Syria map a go and looking forward to it.  However, very soon we left the server totally dejected and disappointed.  Please bring back the Caucasus map!

We found flying the Huey to be mostly a total waste of time.  For low level slow movers, like the Huey, the terrain is barren, awfully boring and lacking in cover for our operations.  We stand out like the proverbial dogs bollocks!  We stand little chance of surviving, let alone achieving a mission objective.  We were blown out of the sky almost every time we tried to move into enemy territory.  We achieved a big fat zero and had no enjoyment in flying over the terrain either. 

Satisfaction with the server and impact on missions has taken a death dive to zero and worse than very dissatisfied.  This is very sad because pervious to trying the Syria map I was more than very satisfied with the server and thought is was fantastic with the Caucasus geography.  I had encouraged friends and fellow Huey pilots to join the server in the past, but I now find I can't recommend the server at all.

Thanks for trying, but so far the Syria map is a no go for me as I only fly the Huey and that is just not enjoyable with the Syria map as it stands.

Will you still offer the Caucasus map in rotation?  Perhaps on a weekly/monthly basis?  

Happy landings,

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I will say in general I am surprised by your feedback, a lot of people have actually been saying the complete opposite so much that people have already been asking us to not bring the original mission back in rotation. 

I will let the mission sit for now and see how the feedback nets out to but thanks for sharing

• Thanks 2

One question related to the Mi24..

In your sever the designation reticle (the one that tells petrovich where to aim) is just with the 3 lines, and not squared number information. How did you do that? I would like to have that moddification if is possible. Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, Japo32 said:

One question related to the Mi24..

In your sever the designation reticle (the one that tells petrovich where to aim) is just with the 3 lines, and not squared number information. How did you do that? I would like to have that moddification if is possible. Thanks in advance!

I think you are talking about the setting that allows for the heading and such to appear? This was removed as it was not realistic and the Hind is very strong on the server.

Also, I would like to share a new mechanic that Yink made for the server, it will be coming once we sus out any bugs in testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh my helicopter experience so far was also quite poor. Out of three flights, I was shot down in my Hind twice just before reaching the frontline. I guess the flat and homogenous terrain makes it easy for fighters to spot helicopters. That plus the the very wide frontline and the resulting scarcity of air cover makes helicopter missions often a one way trip. Caucasus was better in that regard since the infrastructure+forrest+towns made it easier to mask yourself. I do like the Syria version overall though from a fixed wing perspective! Not much you can do though to improve helicopter gameplay I'm afraid.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

10 hours ago, sLYFa said:

Tbh my helicopter experience so far was also quite poor. Out of three flights, I was shot down in my Hind twice just before reaching the frontline. I guess the flat and homogenous terrain makes it easy for fighters to spot helicopters. That plus the the very wide frontline and the resulting scarcity of air cover makes helicopter missions often a one way trip. Caucasus was better in that regard since the infrastructure+forrest+towns made it easier to mask yourself. I do like the Syria version overall though from a fixed wing perspective! Not much you can do though to improve helicopter gameplay I'm afraid.

We hope that the recon mechanic makes it easier for helicopters because where you need to be exactly to deploy your weapons is more clear and you are spending less time scouring and looking around. At the end of the day, the map is different and the helicopter gameplay is tied to the landscape. We will keep rotating between the original missions and Syria.

• Like 1

Just tried to do a recon flight in the viggen, Doesn't seem to work, I took off with center fuel tank & KB pod & U22 pod. No message on take off. So Ianded back & only kept the center fuel tank. Again no message on take off. I still flew my recon mission & overflew some enemy group around 300m & M0.8, when landing back I received no special message

10 hours ago, lucky-hendrix said:

Just tried to do a recon flight in the viggen, Doesn't seem to work, I took off with center fuel tank & KB pod & U22 pod. No message on take off. So Ianded back & only kept the center fuel tank. Again no message on take off. I still flew my recon mission & overflew some enemy group around 300m & M0.8, when landing back I received no special message

did you unload the gun?

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat

On 5/29/2022 at 6:48 AM, lucky-hendrix said:

It has been announced but not implemented yet, we are still doing testing on it.

Just an update on the effort on our patch, we are expecting to be live any day from today through 1 week from now, this will include recon.

Additionally, for those that have not had the time yet to check out the Syria mission, i invite you to watch this to get a feel for how the map plays.

The recon patch is live along with a lot of other changes. Here they all are:

***MAP CHANGES***
-Blue airfield Thalah (Sector 1) is now in play and has some slots now.

-Moved last Blue FARP to be closer to sector 1 and further away from King Hussein to reduce flight times

-Moved last Red FARP to be closer to sector 30 vs Aleppo to reduce flight times

-Red Farp in Sector 5 has been moved further south to cut down on flight times

-Blue Sector #1 has been reduced in size.

***UNIT/TARGET CHANGES***
-Front depots are more compact to allow for bomb runs to be more effective due to limited splash damage modeling by iron bombs.

-Front depots have half as much air defenses to help frames and to incentivize attacking depots. 

Staff Note: Front Depots should be the primary big target when the frontline is toward the middle of the map. Strategic targets are geared toward be viable targets towards the end of a campaign.

-SAMs at airfields have been slightly reduced to help improve frames. Some airfields had as much as 4 air defenses, they have been reduced to 1-3 depending on the size of the airfield. Reminder: SAMs respawn every hour.

-Hama and Damascus are now considered major airfields. A Heavy SAM battery has been added that does not respawn once knocked out within a reset (SA-6 and Hawk). This heavy SAM Battery only spawns for the home side (eg will not spawn for Blue when they own Hama). 

Staff Note: We want Hama and Damascus to be important cities. When these cities fall the strategic targets are more under threat and it becomes harder to come back from a campaign. We are evaluating future mechanics that will allow for city fighting for helos.

-Frontline unit size has been slightly thinned out to help improve frames. The outposts buildings (the checkpoint looking unit were mostly removed from templates)> This means that there are still 20 encampments per domino but some encampments are slightly smaller.

***GAME CHANGES****
-Recon mechanic added for the Mig-21 and Viggen. Cameras have been modeled on both planes. Details on the mechanic are in the FAQ. 

-Boat event has been added. Details are in FAQ. 2 boats and 2 bomber waves spawn per 4 hour reset. 

-We discovered a new bug with DCS that has effected how frontline status was being calculated when units died. This bug lead to a discrepancy between the amount of units died and what was being counted in the frontline status. This is mostly fixed.

Staff Note: Thank you to Marc DeFranco and Rhyn0 for consistent reporting on this issue which helped us narrow down on this. We have added more checks to check the status of units that are dying. Please note that it cannot be 100% accurate but it is closer to what it was before this bug. This means that there may be some lingering points when you totally wipe out an entire class of units. This should not effect gameplay dramatically as it tends to be equal per side. Units that die from cookoffs (being on fire and then exploding) seem to bug out the most. In general, if you totally explode a ground unit then this problem should not appear. 

-Attrition has been rebalanced and CSAR values have been rebalanced, please see the FAQ for new numbers.

Staff Note: The net net is that attrition will be felt much more. If a team is consistently not RTB'ing and/or not saving their pilots via CSAR then the push threshold to gain a new sector will increase from the default 50 to 100+. This should make campaigns longer.

-Slotblocker has been changed with how it tracks things.

Staff: This will save frames slightly. If you click a slot in enemy territory it will NOT tell you which sector to pick from. This is to save frames. We WILL be changing ALL slot names in both missions to make it more intuitive in the next 2-3 weeks.

-New moose version installed (staff note only)

-A bug with the breakthrough mechanic has been fixed (Internal staff note only)

• Thanks 1

As Syria is now in a good spot, starting today when a campaign ends, it will roll over to the other map. This must be done manually, please ping me and I will change it over to the other map. We will build a system that automates this process in the future. Red won the campaign last night so we will roll over to Caucasus.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, Enigma89 said:

As Syria is now in a good spot, starting today when a campaign ends, it will roll over to the other map. This must be done manually, please ping me and I will change it over to the other map. We will build a system that automates this process in the future. Red won the campaign last night so we will roll over to Caucasus.

I’m wanting to fly the F-14 exclusively with squad mates - is this possible now ?