F16 FLCS Randomly goes crazy and borderline uncontrollable

So occasionally when i fly the viper (usually after harsh manoeuvring but not in dogfights) The viper flcs decides that stright and level is now impossible and random surface movements do sound good. It results in many (10 or so a second) random and sometimes quite harsh movements of the control surfaces and the aircraft. I have tried enabling digital backup doesn't really help. Sometimes changing the stores config or the gear will fix it sometimes temporally sometimes permanently. I have attached a link to the log sorry its long this bug is really random and i havent determined what the cause is so cannot replicate quickly. 

Log file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k2yGR-_4VUw-a4h_KHptrdX1GlRcNeM5/view?usp=sharing

Tacview file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TweGp-0TIPx2hjXsAUbfn5RGYUM_GSGp/view?usp=sharing

• ED Team

Hi sadly we can not use the track as it contains mods and the tracview does not seem to show the issue very clearly. 

If you can reproduce in an unmodded server or single player please attach the track replay. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, commiccannon said:

So occasionally when i fly the viper (usually after harsh manoeuvring but not in dogfights) The viper flcs decides that stright and level is now impossible and random surface movements do sound good. It results in many (10 or so a second) random and sometimes quite harsh movements of the control surfaces and the aircraft. I have tried enabling digital backup doesn't really help. Sometimes changing the stores config or the gear will fix it sometimes temporally sometimes permanently. I have attached a link to the log sorry its long this bug is really random and i havent determined what the cause is so cannot replicate quickly. 

Log file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k2yGR-_4VUw-a4h_KHptrdX1GlRcNeM5/view?usp=sharing

Tacview file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TweGp-0TIPx2hjXsAUbfn5RGYUM_GSGp/view?usp=sharing

Do you have your Pitot Heat on? 

1 hour ago, F16wannabe said:

Do you have your Pitot Heat on? 

Pitot heat should be on automatically all the time the aircraft is airborne, it's activated by WoW switch. I don't know if that is modeled correctly by the sim though.

D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi sadly we can not use the track as it contains mods and the tracview does not seem to show the issue very clearly. 

If you can reproduce in an unmodded server or single player please attach the track replay. 

I will give it a go but its a rare bug. I dont touch the pitot heat switch i will see if its on by default or not.

Here is a track file with it starting to appear towards the end. It wasnt as bad as sometimes but you can see the jet wobbles around heaps (Some may have been turbulence but i went way outside the turn of the migs so its not all turbulence)

F16 Bug.trk

Edit: removed the tag needing track replay unless you need a new one

Edited by commiccannon

I have noticed this too in the latest beta, as in some earlier version. It seems more related to the processing of the hotas data. Full up and down movement with the stick send to successfully recalibrate the input. I have seen this multiple times repeated in the same flight, and most of the times not at all.

It happened to me right after entering a mission in flight, so no relation to hard banking.

Just now, dutchili said:

I have noticed this too in the latest beta, as in some earlier version. It seems more related to the processing of the hotas data. Full up and down movement with the stick send to successfully recalibrate the input. I have seen this multiple times repeated in the same flight, and most of the times not at all.

It happened to me right after entering a mission in flight, so no relation to hard banking.

Dont think its my hotas it happens only in the viper never in other aircraft, also i have had this bug for about 3 months

• ED Team
2 hours ago, commiccannon said:

Here is a track file with it starting to appear towards the end. It wasnt as bad as sometimes but you can see the jet wobbles around heaps (Some may have been turbulence but i went way outside the turn of the migs so its not all turbulence)

F16 Bug.trk 2.2 MB · 0 downloads

Edit: removed the tag needing track replay unless you need a new one

You are flying very erratically, and you are encountering a lot of turbulence with that many migs all in one place. I am not seeing a problem here.  

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@dutchiliI had a similar problem when DCS automatically and improperly mapped a new USB device as the HOTAS.  I had to go in and delete all the assigned settings of the new device and map them to their intended settings.  Might be the same or not.  Something to try.

• Like 2

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

• ED Team
14 hours ago, dutchili said:

Here's an example where it goes wrong right from the first second of flight, without touching the  Thrustmaster Hotal 4.

flcs issue.trk 150.81 kB · 2 downloads

If that is uncommanded flight behaviour I would recommend checking your inputs for double binds and calibrate in windows. 

I am unable to reproduce, if I take control or do a fresh mission all is fine, level flight

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced this once more, opened menu and selected 'adjust controls'. It appeared that my Logitec G29 steering wheels was now also configured as an axis control.

As both the HOTAS and Logitec where not disconnected/connected while playing DCS, how could DCS possibly go from one setting to two settings for the Y axis?

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to state the obvious at all, and you probably checked this, but I find this happens if I accidentally leave the autopilot on before manoevering. It goes all over the place in order to reach the parameters set when it was last controlling the aeroplane.

Rgds

Lee

Edited by Lee1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I plugged in my Logitec G29 wheel again. Later on launched DCS and a looked fine until after 45 into a mission the viper went straight up.

As cursing didn't help, i unplugged the G29 causing the DCS to hang completely.

Something seems really wrong with either my USB hardware....or DCS.

It's your hardware. I don't get anything like this. DCS definitely shouldn't hang after you unplug a controller.

That said, I once did have something similar. One thing you can try is either disabling hotplugging or control synchronization at mission start. If both are on, then the device momentarily getting disconnected can cause controls to suddenly jump to the limits. They reset after you give some sort of control input, but most of the time, it'll be enough to send you out of control. If you know it happens (when it happened to me it was usually accompanied by a lag spike), you can recover, but it requires decisive action.