A discussion about player walking function

blitzattack

hi,dear ed and the community

I know a lots of people want the ground funtion and with some FPS feature(walking,shooting,etc.) , however as a fact of the performance and the terrian systerm right now, it will be hard to accomplish it .

But what i think is a more basic and easier way. 

As we all know,we already have the function of walking after ejecting. So why we separate it to a divide function , and add some animation(or not) then,add a script that we can enter a empty vehicle or a cold aircraft nearby. Just for buring the player`s immersion during the mission.

Imagine that,we respawn not in a aircraft but in the hanger near the aircraft,we can control our player moving around the aircraft ,then we go under the cockpit and press a button (such as "e" or "f"),and we move into the cockpit (may be just teleport the camera in it)

Or we respawn in somewhere las vegas, we walk towards a empty hummv near my house and press a button to enter it ,then ,drive it to the nellis and get out the car, get into a A10 to start the day.........

I think it`s not a diffcult fuction,and nothing matter with performance and the engine

For my opinion ,i prefer feeling like being a pilot not a part of the aircraft than shoot guns like FPS game in dcs world (it doesn`t mean i don`t want it, i just think is less important than you can get into/out a vehicle freely)

And what do you think guys?

The dream of sky

Oh man, the idea of having to do a commute through (what I can only imagine is horrendous) Las Vegas traffic isn't quite why I play DCS.

As for FPS. Thanks, but no thanks. Plenty of other better, more dedicated platforms for that.

As for the 'walking' animation, I believe ED have said it's something that will come in future. Particularly with regards to the Supercarrier.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

1 hour ago, LooseSeal said:

哦,伙计,必须通勤(我只能想象是可怕的)拉斯维加斯的交通并不是我玩 DCS 的原因。

至于 FPS。谢谢,但不用谢。很多其他更好、更专用的平台。

至于“行走”动画,我相信ED已经说过它会在未来出现。特别是关于超级航母。

yes,so i think the function is already in the game ,ed can just fix and combine them into a "walking systerm", that may cause less cost

The dream of sky

Since a real flight involves a walk around of the aircraft, why not start that way in DCS? I’m sure in VR it would be quite awesome. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Since a real flight involves a walk around of the aircraft, why not start that way in DCS? I’m sure in VR it would be quite awesome.

It may well be, and I think we also should consider if something like that adds to the game; if it's therefore worth spending resources on - especially in VR. Walking in VR is notoriously difficult to do well (because few things make VR players throw up more easily than moving their head's frame of reference - which is what you do when you simulate walking). It can be done (usually via teleporting, or slow movement for more resilient VR users), but it does require extra care, or your experience will be atrocious for most players. A good VR walking implementation is nothing to sneeze at, and an accomplishment in it's own right. So if ED does it, that would be a great achievement (the reference case for me is how Alyx implements it, and although it's still not quite perfect, I hear that almost a full 2/3 of all VR people can play Alyx with continuous movement instead of teleportation). It will be a significant investment, though. A significant investment with very little added value for most, though, as I wager that only a small fraction of people would do their preflight inspection more than once or twice (for the novelty aspect) for each plane, and then never again. There isn't much point in doing so, as there is very little you can find amiss (which is why you inspect the plane) - and if you did find the plane not flight worthy (say your Pitot is broken, hydraulic fluid on the ground, cracks on the joints), there is very little you can do about it. You'd scrub the flight in RL, and hand the plane back to the mechs to return in a few days. So we all, at the start of a mission enter the cockpit assuming that the plane is fit, and that we - as pilots - are also fit to fly. 

It would be cool gadget, though, I agree - just not very high on my personal list of items I'd like ED to spend their very limited resources on. YMMV.

Edited by cfrag

I'm not opposed to the idea of being able to walk around in DCS World. In some situations this might indeed be a fun gimmick to have. But personally, it would be all the way down on my list of priorities. As we all know, finding good (skillful) employees is a problem in pretty much every sector and I doubt it'll be any different in the software development branch. So with that in mind, I really hope (and again, my personal opinion) that ED would use their resources on other improvements.

Oh and on the matter of being able to do a pre-flight walk around:

This has been proposed many times on this forum and I understand that some say that this would add to immersion (and perhaps it will for them). But imho, this pre-flight pilot walk around check, is just some official (I dare to even say "bureaucratic") way of handing over the aircraft responsibility from the ground crew to the pilot. Do any of you really think the pilot will see flaws that the mechanics (who work on these aircraft every day) missed? Sure, it might have happened on a few occasions in history, but in 99,9% it's just the pilot knocking on and/or peaking behind some panels, touching some probes, try to wiggle some ordnance and then sign for taking over responsibility. Definitely no disrespect meant to pilots and I understand why this is part of the pre-flight procedure, but I think to try and simulate this in DCS is just seriously overrated. Especially because you can't actually touch, hold and wiggle anything. What's next? Checking if the aircraft's log has any overdue hourly inspections and then decide to go for the spare? 

(forgive me for just being a grumpy former F-16 maintenance guy, rambling about 😅. I bet some crew chiefs and pilots want to contradict me on the above)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH