Leander Class Frigate(s)

I spent a lot of my time in high school with Silent Hunter 2 and Destroyer command, was on a pretty big naval surface stuff bender. I don't necessarily expect DCS to ever properly get into that Dangerous Waters / Janes Fleet Commander type space in depth, but I really hate seeing the ship options so barren. I used to love reading dad's Bluejacket's Manual and his old ship identification books from his Academy days and still have some stacks of books around here I bought when I was trying to paint ships in Destroyer Command.

I'm hoping to have some more free time to dip into boat stuff and modeling here in the future.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

The beauty of testing stuff like this out is that you can get to throw up "challenges"

13 Exocet carrying Leanders against 2 Chinese destroyers, who were able to hold their own until their CWIS ran out of ammo, then the Exocets (Harpoons) smashed them..

The AI for the Ships are not that smart either, they wont break off formation, even if one's crippled..

From a personal perspective, the Mods achieved so much more than what I originally hoped for.. I was Happy enough to get 2 working Leander models looking mega in game... I can't thank Hawkeye60, CrazyEddie, and Admiral189 enough for their contributions.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

15 hours ago, Linx said:

Ohh cant wait for this one!!!

What are you using in place of Sea Cat? Sea Sparrow?

Yeah, I believe it's the sea sparrow, I did another scenario of 6 A4E's against 2 Leanders, the A4's never got their bombs off their racks..

I've opted to go for the all black hull due to the translucence of the water, they look not too bad, I'm hoping to have this released very soon, when I say soon, I'm looking at the next 2 weeks (sounds familiar lol)

What you will need is 7Zip to extract the Liveries, as there's almost 50 RN different liveries for the RN ships (26 base Leanders, 13 exocet Leanders, 4 Exocet Towed arrays, and 4 Leander class towed arrays ) , winzip just wasn't compressing enough.

• Like 2

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

• 2 weeks later...

Update..

All the hard works is done, a release is planned for tomorrow 01 JAN 2022 ( I can't upload pics, I'm restricted to a size of 243KB!! )

Due to the massive size of the Liveries pack, the release will be in 2 parts

Part 1: The Base Leander class that will include 4 models, the Guns, the Exocet, Exocet Towed Array, and the base class towed array ( this class never existed)
A blank canvas for your own designs.
Part 2 : The Liveries pack that will contain all the Leander class frigates used by the Royal Navy only ( 50+ Liveries)

You WILL need 7Zip to open, otherwise I cannot compress enough to upload to DCS

Both the base files and the Liveries packs have now been uploaded to my DCS files, awaiting approval.

I will upload to drop-box until the files are active on DCS world.

https://imgur.com/gallery/eDBpazq

Edited by Oban
Update
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

The mod is active.. !!

Okay, I spotted an issue with one of the models after I uploaded the files, and will need to wait until Hawkeye60 sends me the updated model, as I don't know my way around 3dsmax enough to fix it, and export it.. It will be fixed and updated  as quickly as possible, I wasn't expecting the Mod to go live so soon !! hahahahaha

• Like 1

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Quick bug report on the exocet version: Seawolves are fired from the Exocet launchers, Seacats are fired straight aft and don't track, and some launcher fires straight down causing self-damage

EDIT: Same issue with the non-exocet version, seacats launch from invisible launchers on the sides & work, launch straight back and fail, and fire straight down causing self-damage

Tacview-20211231-122828-DCS.zip.acmi

Tacview-20211231-125210-DCS.zip.acmi

Edited by Foogle

At first, when I heard about this mod, I was a bit surprised it was being made, since isn’t RAZBAM was also making a Leander class as well? But after downloading it I have to say this is one of the nicest addons to the DCS naval fleet, Well done team.

I’m already going ahead and doing some research on the class and making changes to the Lua file so it’s come up in mission editor just like how ED has it.

Enjoy this photo of this 80s style RIMPAC.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.12.31 - 13.08.17.39 (2).png

• Like 2

Bloody Marvellous,  any chance of a quick idiot pongo's guide to installation. Im familiar with the process just not sure of folder names required ?  "leander_class" in Mods/Tech ??

Edit: not to worry I worked it out as per my question, made the "leander_class" folder in Mods/tech and it works magnificently. Another "Warship" series fan here. I did go on a Leander (ikara) many years ago on an exchange with the Navy (I was Army) but to my shame I cant remember which on it was !

First constructive point. How do "we" get a Helo to land on the actual Deck. it works for now but seems the hard deck is about 3 foot above at the level of the rails.

other than that just enjoying looking at these ships ruling the waves in the editor

thanks so much

Edited by nickmow
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, Oban said:

UPDATE: MOD RELEASED

Thanks a lot for sharing this Mod, looks lovely. may I suggest to add a link to this thread on the files description, so that the feedback is provided here?

Edit:  Just tried it, and it looks really really nice, with lots of detail:

Ovt30nZ.jpg

The Mod files lack a main folder, which can be confusing to new users, maybe for the next version you could place all the files within a /Mods/tech/HMS Leander/ path .. and a similar path for the Liveries. I use OvGME to enable/disable the Mod whenever I need to:

002D21u.jpg

But these are small details, I just love warships and I'm glad that the community Modders create all this variety of ships to complement the few that DCS has on its base product.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this Mod, looks lovely. may I suggest to add a link to this thread on the files description, so that the feedback is provided here?

That's a good idea sir, thank you.

1 hour ago, nickmow said:

Bloody Marvellous,  any chance of a quick idiot pongo's guide to installation. Im familiar with the process just not sure of folder names required ?  "leander_class" in Mods/Tech ??

Edit: not to worry I worked it out as per my question, made the "leander_class" folder in Mods/tech and it works magnificently. Another "Warship" series fan here. I did go on a Leander (ikara) many years ago on an exchange with the Navy (I was Army) but to my shame I cant remember which on it was !

First constructive point. How do "we" get a Helo to land on the actual Deck. it works for now but seems the hard deck is about 3 foot above at the level of the rails.

other than that just enjoying looking at these ships ruling the waves in the editor

thanks so much

The collision model with this release was the older that that sneaked back in under the radar(s)

It will be fixed for the next updates

I'm ex Brit-Mil too, and was on HMS Rothesay for a long weekend on exchange 😄

• Like 1

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Ian Boys UK said:

Is there any way to install it without OvGME please?

Of course, you can install it manually by placing the files on the path "/saved games/dcs/mods/tech/Leander Class Frigate"

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Ian Boys UK said:

Is there any way to install it without OvGME please?

That's a fair point, I didn't actually set it up for either OVGME or regular, but yeah Rudel is on the button with this.

• Like 1

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

On 12/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, navyBtown said:

At first, when I heard about this mod, I was a bit surprised it was being made, since isn’t RAZBAM was also making a Leander class as well? But after downloading it I have to say this is one of the nicest addons to the DCS naval fleet, Well done team.

I’m already going ahead and doing some research on the class and making changes to the Lua file so it’s come up in mission editor just like how ED has it.

Enjoy this photo of this 80s style RIMPAC.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.12.31 - 13.08.17.39 (2).png

Nice photo…

what are the two carriers?

Just now, rkk01 said:

Nice photo…

what are the two carriers?

There the, Forrestal & Tarawa. The goal was to use ships that would have served around the same time during the late 70s early 80s and have them take part in a RIMPAC style exercise.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, rkk01 said:

Looked like the Aussie Darings in the formation - wondered whether Melbourne was also there

You be right, they are two Daring class destroyers from @Bungo, need to add the new ship wake to them. 

Side note, are there plans to add New Zealand four Leander's to the mod, the liveries I mean?

HMNZS_Canterbury_F421_(1971).png

Edited by navyBtown

On 1/1/2022 at 5:26 AM, Foogle said:

Another bug? The mod appears to have some kind of CWIS that emanates from the centroid of the model, from the Wiki article it shouldn't have much beyond a few 40mm Bofors.

Tacview-20211231-130507-DCS.zip.acmi 328.26 kB · 2 downloads

Wonderful mod! It’s great to have some Cold War Royal Navy ships in game. In addition to these bugs mentioned by Foogle, I have noticed the leanders radar always seems to be active on my rwr (F-14). I havnt had this issue with the base game ships before unless there are enemy in the area. 

5 hours ago, roobarbjapan said:

Wonderful mod! It’s great to have some Cold War Royal Navy ships in game. In addition to these bugs mentioned by Foogle, I have noticed the leanders radar always seems to be active on my rwr (F-14). I havnt had this issue with the base game ships before unless there are enemy in the area. 

I shall have to ask the scripting Guru's about this... what about on other a/c ?

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...