Hypersensitive Controls?

KWard
Go to solution Solved by cthulhu68,

I'm having a real hard time with seemingly simple things like maintaining a particular altitude, or consistently flying in the same direction. Seems like the lightest touch on the stick and I'm going north instead of west, or 2500 feet higher. If I so much as touch the rudder pedals, the ball in the slip indicator is pegged.

Is this is just because I'm brand new, is this just something I need practice on, or do my controls need recalibrating?

I'm using VKB's Gunfighter Mk III stick and Mk IV rudder pedals. In DCS I followed the setup instructions from Chuck's Guide for the P-51. In VKB's own calibration software, AFAIK I haven't changed anything from the defaults, but despite poring over the manual I can't make heads or tails of what all this means:

VKB Config Screenshot.jpg

Try adding a curve to your pitch/roll/yaw in DCS's options first. That would be the simplest way to tone down sensitivity.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• Solution

Have you went through control layout to clear double binds? By default everything gets mapped to stick and throttle. On control screen where it says "all" click on that and go to axis assign and see if stuff is bound twice.  Under Options make sure game mode and game avionics aren't checked since that will use game controls instead of sim layout.

Edited by cthulhu68
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, cthulhu68 said:

Have you went through control layout to clear double binds? By default everything gets mapped to stick and throttle. On control screen where it says "all" click on that and go to axis assign and see if stuff is bound twice.

I think that was it. There were two "vjoy" columns that also had the axes mapped to them. Once I deleted them the aircraft handled noticeably different. I'm still having some trouble, but I think that just comes down to inexperience.

Edited by KWard

20 minutes ago, KWard said:

Three times. There were two "vjoy" columns that also had the axes mapped to them. Once I deleted them the aircraft handled noticeably different. I'm still having some trouble, but I think that just comes down to inexperience.

Besides the double binds and curve sensitivity settings, the trim over sensitivity is a very well know problem. You can try this mod, found here.

I've tried, and had success on trimming all my war birds straight and level. Also, remember that torque plays an important part on all of it. If you change prop settings, you have to trim; if you change manifold pressure; you have to trim; if you turn...you got the idea. Heck, you even have to trim from time to time because the aircraft gets lighter as it burns fuel. 

But with the aforementioned mod you can trim the war birds more easily. I even went further and changed the rate of change of the aircraft propeller, now I can se the rpm whatever I want without it jumping like crazy.  

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog