Best served with TacView

BuzzLine

So I was there, enjoying the campaign but feeling it just a tad repetitive. And then I started using TacView to debrief and analyze my flights. And it just clicked. The progressive difficulty just made a lot of sense. I even reflew a few hops after analyzing bad techniques in BVR or BFM.

I think that using TacView after each hop makes it even more like the real thing, so I recommend it as a great complement to the campaign.

"
-Aircraft one performs a split S. That's the last thing you should do. The MiG's right on your tail. Freeze there. The MiG has you in his gunsight. What were you thinking?
-You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead.
-That's a big gamble with a $ million plane. Unfortunately, it worked. The MiG never got a clean shot. Maverick makes an aggressive vertical move and defeats him with a missile. The encounter was a victory, but we show it as an example of what not to do.

"

Indeed, TacView is a great tool to use with this campaign. Without it it's often like:

-Where did he go?!

-Where did who go?! 

😄

It is a tad repetitive too, but that's exactly what it was like in real life. Military aviation is 95% repetitive procedures and 5% terror 😄 The aim of this one is to provide an experience that's as close to an 80s training det as possible, rather than making sure the player is having fun - and incidentally, that's exactly where the fun is coming from in Zone 5, at least for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Completely agree with the Tacview usage, although my flights have been anything but monotonous.  Being a Tomcat noob, it's easy to get behind the airplane and rest of the mission when getting shot into complete darkness, never mind having missiles being chucked at you.  😄   My Tacview reviews are pretty funny, looking at how many times I escape death from either ignorance or dumb luck.  Then in the off chance that I survive and make it back to the boat, getting ridiculed by both an unforgiving LSO and an indignant RIO is a nice thank you for your effort.  I'm having a blast.  Really 🤪

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro