Should I build my new DCS PC online and get it shipped here?

Hey everyone! I have been looking into it lately and I want to build my PC online and then have it shipped to my home. I was wondering if anybody knew of some good websites to build it on. I was looking at Digital Storm and NewEgg and I was thinking of those, but I want a “professional” to try telling me and giving me some ideas! I was also wondering if anyone could give me the best specs possible for DCS, because I want to try making DCS exactly like real life (I will be using VR). If anyone could give me the best specs to look for and the right PC building website I would really, really appreciate it! Thank you for the help and I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

HI Flyboy,

I'm sure many on here will chip in to offer you some advice on PC parts. First though can you tell us where in the world you are? Do you have a preference of AMD vs Intel? Or do you just want what is best? Then, is there a budget limit? Others might want to know what VR headset you plan to use as the resolution might determine how powerful the PC will need to be.

I am not an expert on VR but I am sure many will help you out.

Hate to be that guy , but you need to dial down your expectations a bit , or you will be sorely disappointed after spending lots of cash . The technology does not yet exist to make "DCS exactly like real life" , or even to make it look as good as a 1080p monitor , in VR . Some of the problems may be mitigated when ED drops the Vulkan and multicore updates , but when that will be is anyone's guess . As it is , expect short-range LOD transitions , some level of aliasing , a fair amount of terrain shadow and other flickering , tree color popping , blurry-ness at a distance , spotting difficulties both AA and AG , and a field of view less than half of "real life" . This after spending $5k or more on just the pc .

Having said that , i haven't flown pancake since i got a CV1 several years ago , and am now on my third headset , so i'm certainly not trying to discourage you from VR . But do your homework , and do lots of it ! 

As to builders , Falcon Northwest has a stellar reputation for custom-built pc's . 

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I think Svsmokey has a good point to make there. Before spending money check some Youtube video's of DCS at different resolutions and settings. If you see something that you would like to replicate then go for that. I tried VR and I didn't like it, personal taste.

For me anything 1440p and above on a 32" monitor at high settings with some MSAA and a head tracker is real life enough for me. Youtube videos of other users actual gameplay will give you a good idea of what is achievable.

Unless you want to experience a cold awekening, listen to Svsmokey and Bossco82, no matter how many $ you could spend, there is a performance wall money cannot overcome.

The corner stones:

Very fast CPU + Board with your features onboard - 64GB DDR4 - 2x NVMe - BIG FAT GPU - Your VR Goggles - 1000w PSU platinum grade - 

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

HI Flyboy there is a point a few people are trying to make. You want it to look "exactly like real life" but also use VR. If I take that statement on face value that is not really possible right now. If you said "like real life" then said 55" Oled 4k screen with a 3090 GPU..... I hope you see my point.

Now I admit I tried an Oculus Rift S, not the best by a long shot. However this is my point. It took a load of setting up to get that to run on a 2080ti and it took a weekend fiddling with settings to get it running at a good framerate. VR looks realistic because of its three dimensional appearance, things look like you can touch them. However on a purely visual basis the visuals are usually lower because you have two tiny screens for lenses. The visual fidelity of VR cant match a flat screen, in my experience not even a good 1440p monitor.

Starting from scratch you would need to spend upwards of $8'000-10'000 to get the most realistic VR experience at home in DCS. Compare that to probably $2000-2500 to achieve the same with a 1080p or 1440p monitor and a head tracker. Please dont underestimate how graphically demanding DCS is, even more so in VR. Much more than I-L2 Sturmovik.

This is the good news though. I know you fly in Sturmovik on your system at 1080p. If you enjoy that, just upgrading your system or even building a new one to fly in DCS at 1080p should be very enjoyable too. I fly in both and the visual realism of DCS is higher. I have very high standards for visual quality. I recently downgraded from a 4k monitor to a 1440p so I could max the settings in DCS and still run 60fps. I own a 6800xt, no slouch of a GPU. It looks fantastic, for me.

For the best possible in VR though, this is the minimum you would need.

AMD system, 5800x, X570 mobo, 64gb DDR4 3200Mhz C16, 1tb Nvme (OS and DCS only installed), 1tb Sata SSD for other games, Nvidia 3080ti minimum!!!!! 1000w gold PSU minimum....

Intel system 12700k, Z690 mobo, 64gb DDR4 3000Mhz C15 or 3200Mhz C16, same storage as AMD, Nvidia 3080ti 1000w PSU

Then add you VR headset and a good case with airflow, plus a 240mm AIO minimum. These specs are the minimum mate for what you are asking to achieve. 

After all of this you then have to learn to fly a few modules like the F-16 Viper in DCS. Its not like Sturmovik, you cant jump in pull a trigger and shoot things down. Its very rewarding and loads of fun once you learn it. However it is why I said "please try it first mate, please". DCS is not a "game" its a proper simulator you have to put aside a few hours of not being disturbed to properly learn and enjoy it.