HUD-SOI, TMS aft short - "SPI Submode" ?

SMN

What does mean HUD-SOI, TMS aft short - "SPI Submode" ?
I have the same thing as TMS aft long - "SPI to steerpoint"...

Edited by SMN

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

• SMN changed the title to HUD-SOI, TMS aft short - "SPI Submode" ?

If you're HUD SOI TMS aft short will make IFFCC SPI, and it will say IFFCC SPI on the bottom left of your HUD. From what I can tell, and what I've gathered from talking to the A-10 pilots IFFCC SPI is pretty much useless from a tactical/weapons delivery standpoint. It is only important to know how to recognize you accidently set IFFCC SPI so you can immediatley change it to something else.

Edited by ASAP

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

IIFFCC SPI is pretty much useless from a tactical/weapons delivery standpoint

Not entirely true. You can do some interesting stuff with it against pre-planned targets, although I'd say it's highly situational.

• Like 1

Is this the mode where if you now slave all to spi, you can get your tgp to track your gun predicted point of impact?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

4 hours ago, Puma said:

Is this the mode where if you now slave all to spi, you can get your tgp to track your gun predicted point of impact?

Yes.  If you spot a target of opportunity in the HUD and fire at it with guns and rockets, you can slave the TGP at it to reattack if you miss, or get the coordinates to relay the location to somebody else if need be.

47 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Yes.  If you spot a target of opportunity in the HUD and fire at it with guns and rockets, you can slave the TGP at it to reattack if you miss, or get the coordinates to relay the location to somebody else if need be.

WOW!

Quite useful! Had no idea about that. Will try it later. Thanbks for the info.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I think that Markpoint Z is way better fot that situation, because it saves the position automaticly.

I might find good to use HUD SOI TMS aft only when i want to point my TGP directly in front of me, and this is rather rare scenario, because I'm so used to HMCS functionality (DMS right long), that works also in front of you with proper HMCS settings.

EDIT: After some tryouts I found this mode pretty cool with LD bombs in CCIP mode with combination od HMCS SPI  always visible settings. That will make you always see where your bomb will impact event throu instruments.

Of course you need to have your target marked by markpoint/waypoint to see it. And this will allow you to make your dive shallow and drop bombs exacly where it should be with CCIP whitout limitation of poor HUD point of view.

Edited by MasterNomis

I think things are getting mixed up quite a bit. Markpoint Z is always created after using any weapon on that particular spot, and only then you can do whatever you can do with any other STPT considered as a SPI, for instance broadcast it on DL, or acquiring it by other Tank Killer pilot with his HMCS. But Markpoint Z generating happens as a consequence of that shot with actually any weapon, any release mode.

The HUD or IFFCC "SPI submode" to the contrary makes you able to use the TGP as a sniper scope to fine tune aiming, before pulling the trigger on the gun, because you can slave the TGP to the guns pipper even if the pipper never stops moving (until PAC-1 🙂) if you can't hold your pipper "still".

Edited by Razor18

8 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

I think things are getting mixed up quite a bit. Markpoint Z is always created after using any weapon on that particular spot, and only then you can do whatever you can do with any other STPT considered as a SPI, for instance broadcast it on DL, or acquiring it by other Tank Killer pilot with his HMCS. But Markpoint Z generating happens as a consequence of that shot with actually any weapon, any release mode.

The HUD or IFFCC "SPI submode" to the contrary makes you able to use the TGP as a sniper scope to fine tune aiming, before pulling the trigger on the gun, because you can slave the TGP to the guns pipper even if the pipper never stops moving (until PAC-1 🙂) if you can't hold your pipper "still".

Yes you are right, but mentioning Markpoint Z I was refering to situation with gun/rockets fired descriped by jaylw314. And in this situation I see markpoint Z more usefull.

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Wow, thanks everyone! Looks like there are a couple of good examples of uses for IFFCC SPI. From what you guys shared and i've been able to find since I asked that question it looks lFFCC SPI just gives you another set of options to do stuff that you can already be done by other methods (i.e. mark Z to share what you shot with flight members, dropping steerpoint SPI instead of waypoint ID in the DSMS, etc). I haven't found anything that makes IFFCC SPI uniquely better or worse than the other methods, so it probably comes down to pilot preference.

If there is a situation where IFFCC SPI is the only or best option please let me know. Like I said, I always want to learn better ways of doing things.

I'm going to guess based on what my A-10 pilot friend said that IFFCC SPI is not a normal part of his habit patterns and probably just prefers to uses the other tools available on the jet. Based on the fact that IRL the A-10 hasn't been used for AI in a long time, and the dynamic nature of CAS, I'm curious how often the WAYPT ID on the JDAM profile gets used.

I've never used that function before but I can imagine it would be useful while making gun runs at night and you can't see your target very well through NVG's. Something I'll have to test out on my next night sortie. 

Edited by Cato

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, ASAP said:

Wow, thanks everyone! Looks like there are a couple of good examples of uses for IFFCC SPI. From what you guys shared and i've been able to find since I asked that question it looks lFFCC SPI just gives you another set of options to do stuff that you can already be done by other methods (i.e. mark Z to share what you shot with flight members, dropping steerpoint SPI instead of waypoint ID in the DSMS, etc). I haven't found anything that makes IFFCC SPI uniquely better or worse than the other methods, so it probably comes down to pilot preference.

If there is a situation where IFFCC SPI is the only or best option please let me know. Like I said, I always want to learn better ways of doing things.

I'm going to guess based on what my A-10 pilot friend said that IFFCC SPI is not a normal part of his habit patterns and probably just prefers to uses the other tools available on the jet. Based on the fact that IRL the A-10 hasn't been used for AI in a long time, and the dynamic nature of CAS, I'm curious how often the WAYPT ID on the JDAM profile gets used.

TBPH, the only situation I've found it useful in is the "I need to drop everything I have in one run on targets that are relatively closely-spaced and one  or two of the targets are structures that require a GBU-31." This has only ever happened when I decided to build a mission specifically to test out this functionality, partially because (A) GBU-31s have a different drop window from GBU-38/54 anyway, (B) I'm usually not carrying six JDAMs, and (C) I can't say I've ever designed a DCS mission scripted so that you lose if all targets aren't destroyed within X seconds of one target being destroyed.

8 hours ago, MasterNomis said:

Yes you are right, but mentioning Markpoint Z I was refering to situation with gun/rockets fired descriped by jaylw314. And in this situation I see markpoint Z more usefull.

Hah!  That's because I got the two functions mixed up, I was actually thinking about markpoint Z 😁  nice catch on my booboo

For the IFFCC SPI submode, the most obvious use for that is if you're running in with guns or rockets, and want to do a quick visual ID before you brrt, you just set the IFFCC SPI submode, then slave the TGP to SPI.  Now you have a quick way to visual ID your target before you get too close.  I know it's a strange workflow, since in DCS we've usually got our faces glued to the TGP before running in, but I suppose before we had the HMCS, it could be useful if you found a visual target and didn't have time to slave the TGP to it before running in

Edited by jaylw314

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, MasterNomis said:

And this will allow you to make your dive shallow and drop bombs exacly where it should be with CCIP whitout limitation of poor HUD point of view.

I use the 5mil CCIP Consent to Release mode for that. Or is this better?

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

3 hours ago, Ready said:

I use the 5mil CCIP Consent to Release mode for that. Or is this better?

That's an interesting question, I'll have to test that tonight.  When you're in IFFCC SPI submode and slaving the TGP, does the TGP slave to the designated point in CCIP CTR, or does it slave to the actual (off the HUD) bomb fall location?  My suspicion is that it's the latter

Edited by jaylw314

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

That's an interesting question, I'll have to test that tonight.  When you're in IFFCC SPI submode and slaving the TGP, does the TGP slave to the designated point in CCIP CTR, or does it slave to the actual (off the HUD) bomb fall location?  My suspicion is that it's the latter

You would just slave the TGP. The CCIP pipper is determined by simple physics and triganometry showing you where the bomb would fall if you pressed the pickle at any given location.