JDAM - TOO issue

bonux1987

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and i hope this question is in the right spot, if not please correct me :).

I'm having an issue regarding my JDAM in TOO mode...

I created a mission with 8 tanks in front of me

- 8JDAMs -> i place every station in TOO / efuz instant / release type MAN / select the stations to be used - quantity
- I use my TGP to find the first target and i press TDC depress

- I select TOO2 and i slew to my next target (not depressing)
- I step (my STA8 now have TOO1 & TOO2) to STA2
- I continue this process until my 8 targets are done

Now comes my problem, at the last target i need to undesignate... when i press the nosewheel / undesignate (pinky on my warthoh hotas) all my coordinates are gone from the TOO mfd....and not a single JDAM finds a target (they just fall out of the sky...) 

When i dont undesignate and i try to drop the bombs, they all just fall on the first target....

Any help is so kind !

i have watched the following tutorials with every step, (tried is like 10 times already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbZcWz7U0w&ab_channel=vCSG-3 

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiKu54FRdZE&t=219s&ab_channel=Chazflyz

And, honestly: no one was able to supply proof that it should work otherwise. Given that "in real life" probably no Hornet on this planet would go airborne with 8 JDAMs to ripple them on 8 different TOOs in one pass, I *personally* would say that is nonsense anyway and only applies to weirdo-DCS-airquake. But again, the latter is my personal opionion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

3 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

And, honestly: no one was able to supply proof that it should work otherwise. Given that "in real life" probably no Hornet on this planet would go airborne with 8 JDAMs to ripple them on 8 different TOOs in one pass, I *personally* would say that is nonsense anyway and only applies to weirdo-DCS-airquake. But again, the latter is my personal opionion.

The argument that is most persuasive is the presence of TOO1 and TOO2.  If the presence of TOO1 and TOO2 is correct, then it makes no sense that you cannot use them independently.

There is no reason to have a TOO2 is you are dropping singles with TOO designation before each drop with no way to program 2 stations.

• Like 4

I agree that it sounds sensible, until someone uncovers some proof it is kinda irrelevant, though. Add to that the fact that IRL probably no one would ripple a full Hornet's worth of JDAMs and I will just reiterate my personal opinion that this is, in fact, a non-issue.

If said proof get's unearthed somehow then I wholeheartedly agree that it should be changed / fixed / added, of course.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Actually I’m rather glad this is not real life, or I would have died long ago. 😉

A definitive answer from someone who knows, that is not based on classified info, would put this issue to rest one way or the other. 

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

56 minutes ago, CBStu said:

So dropping 8 jdams may not be realistic but how about two or four jdams?

This is how it should work based on available sources:

QTY release should allow you to drop 4 JDAMs in a single pickle. The current behaviour and entire JDAM implementation is fundamentally wrong. In reality, you should be able to pass the coordinates to specific weapons. Each JDAM that you have on the aircraft can have 8 stored coordinates at the same time, 6 PP and 2 TOO. The reason why this makes sense (to upload the same target to different weapons) is that if you need to destroy 4 targets, two of which are high priority but one JDAM doesn't work, you can change the target of another JDAM from a lower priority (PP 5 for example) to a higher priority (PP 2). The targets and thus the coordinates should be independent of one another in PP mode.

In TOO mode, if you have QTY selected then every station boxed gets the same target coordinate (so you shouldn't do that!) but if you have no QTY selected then the priority station gets the TOO coordinate for the selected mission. (TOO 1 or 2) If the designation is slewed is slewed or automatically updated in any way, the JDAM gets the new coordinates. If you undesignate, the last stored coordinates will be saved for that TOO mission for the selected weapon. The other gotcha moment is that if you have a new designation but you go back a JDAM mission which has previously designated coordinates, the new ones will automatically overwrite the old ones. 

You can use radar, HUD, JHMCS, TGP or waypoint to designate a TOO target but if the TGP gets slaved to that target, you castle into it and slew it around, the TGP will become the coordinate source for the selected JDAM-selected mission. (This is critical because the elevation will change from stored to sensed if you slew around, the latter being more accurate.)

QTY release should be available for both TOO and PP, it allows you to release 4 JDAMs of the same type and fuze configuration in a 8-2-7-3 sequence with a fixed minimum 300 ms interval between releases.

So realistically speaking, you should be able to step through all missions with a designate-undesignate workflow, populating each JDAM with 2 different targets. These targets are stored for later use. Then you undesignate (very important) and you can select which station you want to release from and which of the two TOO targets you want to use for each JDAM. 

Now tactically this may not necessarily be all that relevant (if you have fixed targets you will know coordinates in advance anyway in 99% of the time, moving targets are obviously out of the question.

However: If my sources are correct, TOO wasn't even authorized for the time frame we're talking about for Charlie Hornets, so this interaction with deleting the previous designation may actually simulate some kind of software problem or issue that was present in the real jet at that time frame that SMEs talked about, and the documentation only describes the intended behaviour. Regardless, once we get an actual DTC-JMPS PP missions will be much less cumbersome.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 2:36 PM, CBStu said:

So dropping 8 jdams may not be realistic but how about two or four jdams? To me that is a very realistic possibility. How often do you want to fly over a target to drop 4 jdams? I'd prefer one pass.

As we can see by this ongoing thread there is just a very large amount of uncertainty on how that works in detail. Dropping 2 or maybe even 4 JDAMs (and 4 is stretching it, IMHO) on actual targets of opportunity is very manageable between the range of JDAMs, usage of markpoints, quickl slewing and designating, what have you.

Whenever I employed JDAMs in squad nights I never, ever had the need to ripple a large quantity. YMMV.