Keyboard Unit Lettering

Dropship Pilot

Hi!

I just watched the new video about the MPDs and I love what I see. Looking forward to fly the AH-64.

However, during the video something bothered me about the Keyboard Unit. I couldn't point my finger to it, until I realized that the font used on the KU is slightly off which makes it look somewhat like a childs toy or a phone for elderly people:

KU02.jpg

To the left is an original and to the right the KU from Wag's video. The differences are small but noticeable:

- The font is overall slightly to large

- The zero is missing the diagonal line

- The dots on the "divide" key are too bold so that the key looks almost like a second "plus" key.

On a side note: the weathering on the KU looks fantastic!

Cheers,
DSP

• Like 2

Well, we probably have the eyesight comparable to elderly people when we stare through the monitor (or worse, a VR headset), trying to figure out the labels ...

I.e. it probably actually helps the readability - what does 101% accuracy help, if you can't read it? ^^

Edited by Flagrum
  • Thanks 1

As I fly exclusively in VR I know your pain regarding unreadable cockpit labels. The F-14 is a prime example here. 
However, even with the reduced font size, the font should be big enough to pose no problems in VR (the standard panel labels are only about 2/3 the size).
Also, readability is exactly one point I mentioned this here:
Due to the bold dots on the divide key, it looks very similar to the plus key next to it.  This could be a problem in VR.

Cheer
DSP

• ED Team

All AH-64's (minus A-models of course), use the same KU and yes there should be a slash through the zero.  Not a super important detail, but a steely-eyed catch nonetheless by @Dropship Pilot.

44 minutes ago, Dropship Pilot said:

Are there any tactile markers for specific keys so that you can identify them without looking?

Nope, there isn't.  The only thing remotely tactile on the 64's KU is the raised borders between individual buttons.  But that isn't for tactile feel as much as it is to keep the neighboring buttons from being inadvertently pressed when typing while wearing flight gloves.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head