Release by end of Q1 2022

xavnl

21 hours ago, Ironious said:

Two weeks.

🤣

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

I've found him!

Last seen at the wrong end of an AK....seems he took his testing task too literally or maybe he decided to play a bit of Longbow Gold for inspiration!

Wag's was promoted to CW2 just before his untimely crash in the Iraqi Desert. He was debugging the TADS symbology in the final push for Feb release....MIA....

Seriously though, for those needing an Apache fix before DCS Apache, fire up your lost copy of Longbow GOLD. It works flawlessly on DOSBox, and it still provides a fantastic, atmospheric Apache experience all these years later. You have to look past the graphics, but the fun factor, game-play and surprisingly avionics simulation are all there. Somewhat simplified, but there. I've been playing non-stop for days and my DCS is neglected until DCS Apache comes. Why has it taken 25 years (!!) to get another viable Apache sim?

Janes LBG Capture.png

Janes LBG Crash.png

Janes LBG.png

Janes LBG TADS.png

• Like 7

I love the anger the delay has caused, it comes from true enthusiasm for our DCS Apache AH-64D.

2013 is when I think I joined DCS, and the Kamov KA-50 was the hook ED used to reel me in. 

I love the KA-50, I think the USSR's design brief to Kamov, which was to beat the Apache A, resulted in a very special machine that will always live in DCS! It does need to eventually have the president S.... but anyhoo!

9 years later and finally.. an Apache AH-64D is on my doorstep. The other guys that are ok with the delay are probably like me.... they know what ED is like, we are relaxed, "It will be so" is the mantra for us old timers.

But it is coming... I am truly looking forward to the monocle sight over the right eye in VR, Overlayed target images projected directly to my right eye. A broad sweeping area denial 30mm cannon with very effective fragmentation dispersion..... FLIR...... FLIR.... in a chopper!

Looking forward to sitting in the 3D pit and just drooling.... i got no problem with the disappointment felt in the delay with some DCS chopper pilots.

I hope she will not disappoint, I so looked forward to the F-16, but man what a boring aircraft to fly.... Great Fighter, but Pure fly by wire! 

Office management springs to mind with the F-16, probably the F-18 too...... I spent very little time in both!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 5

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I hope so.

I have to catch up on my overtime and book a 2 - 3 week holiday between here and mid march.

I want to spend the holiday time building a multiple encoder rotary comms box for all choppers, I also want to be learning to fly the Apache.

RL work is fluidly pushing my holiday back towards the end of Feb and I so so hope for the Apache to be released at that time..... after that..... late march... it will be work 24/7 for months to come.

But I will get my rotary com control box!.... starting to love voice coms, at the mo AI coms, but I guess human to Human coms is awesome.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Wags, you dare devil!

Stop playing your achievements down!

🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

fire up your lost copy of Longbow GOLD. It works flawlessly on DOSBox

Any chance you tell me how you did this please, brother?  I have LB2 AND the strategy guide for it.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

10 minutes ago, NeedzWD40 said:

LB2 is a bit more involved as it's a Win95/98 app, pretty much takes a VM to get that one going. Longbow Gold on the other hand can be run via DOSBox since it's a DOS app.

Yeah, Longbow 1/Gold is easy because it runs nicely in Dosbox.

Longbow 2 on the other hand is a real pain on modern systems. I’ve had real success this week (first time in years), running Longbow 2 on a PC Emulator called PCEm. You install win 98 SE in that and you’re off….. I’ve yet to find best graphics configuration but absolutely no crashes or freezes. 

Mind you, Longbow Gold still has a few advantages over its ‘slightly’ younger brother, it’s worth playing Gold too.