Release by end of Q1 2022

xavnl

18 hours ago, Hiob said:

Why do you think, the pedals are operated differently to the real helicopter? Or from other DCS-Helicopters for that matter?

Don't get me wrong - perhaps I missed something!

For one thing the real chopper does not have spring centered pedals. The real helicopter also has AP SAS channels to assist the pilot during flight, which are linked to trim. So yeah, all the helicopters in DCS, the Huey, the Hip the Hind and the Kamov AP channels quite a bit differently, even though we all have the same or similar peripherals. 

For example in the Hind, I can't even fly with the YAW AP channel on anymore, since the heading hold mode frequently fights my pedal inputs. In the Apache its supposed to work differently, there is no heading hold, only a flight assist that is tied to a flight computer. 

For example Wags mentions that trim release in the Apache is basically controls mag locks which hold your cyclic and pedals in place. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

59 minutes ago, Lurker said:

For one thing the real chopper does not have spring centered pedals. The real helicopter also has AP SAS channels to assist the pilot during flight, which are linked to trim. So yeah, all the helicopters in DCS, the Huey, the Hip the Hind and the Kamov AP channels quite a bit differently, even though we all have the same or similar peripherals. 

For example in the Hind, I can't even fly with the YAW AP channel on anymore, since the heading hold mode frequently fights my pedal inputs. In the Apache its supposed to work differently, there is no heading hold, only a flight assist that is tied to a flight computer. 

For example Wags mentions that trim release in the Apache is basically controls mag locks which hold your cyclic and pedals in place. 

Ok thanks for the clarification. I can see your troubles, though I don't share them.

One thought though - wether you use spring center pedals or none spring centered (I modified mine for a release of the center spring), is just your choice - not a matter of the simulation.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Guys, please don't get to much confused about how Wags manages controlling pedals. Please take a look at the pictures, they are pretty self-explanatory:

• Like 8

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

42 minutes ago, Hiob said:

(I modified mine for a release of the center spring)

Then this should concern you. It's quite possible that if this system is configured for spring based pedals, that trim in the Apache will be quite broken for pedals that do not use springs. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Then this should concern you. It's quite possible that if this system is configured for spring based pedals, that trim in the Apache will be quite broken for pedals that do not use springs. 

I will deal with this when the module is released. So far I have no trouble in any helicopter I fly (Hip, Hind, Huey). Where it could be a potential problem (e.g. Hip), ED has provided an option wether the pedals are affected by trim or not (trim in this case means for the real helicopter, relieve of forces - though it may work differently in the Hip, it is the same that the magnetic brakes in the Apache do - as far as I understand).

I'm quite confident, they will offer similar options for the Apache. Anyway, I will only start to worry when it finally arrives.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@Lurker There you go (EA manual).

All the trim modes one could ask for, and even separated for cyclic and anti-torque. So far, it’s looking good. 👍

I‘m quite confident in that regard. 😅

Yep, it's how it has been since release of DCS Blackshark and also working for all the other premium helicopter modules. Three different trimming settings with the option to separate the pedals from them. You can choose what fits best for your setup, in the end you have six options (3 plus pedal setting for each). The best and most realistic hardware setup for helicopter controls in DCS are force feedback controls, cyclic and pedals (as of now i only know of the FFB pedals from Brunner). But you can also get almost the same feel with friction hold joysticks and pedals (rare on the market or DIY mod).
As an example, if you only have a FFB joystick for cyclic like me, you can choose between pedal trim off or on and use it like:
1. hold your feet in position all the time after trimming or have friction hold pedals which don't return to center by themself
2. do the part of the spring centered trimming procedure only on your pedals (let them return to center after trimming, but keep in mind that this an offset from now on)

What i really like is the new axis indicator window with more information, like the red X for the offset center. It tells you much better what is going on. I guess we will get this for the other choppers too.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Yup, maybe I'm making too much of this, and it just "works" out of the box so to speak. I do have a reason though, and that's the Mi24p which needs to be flown with the YAW SAS channel turned off if I want it to be responsive and smooth with the pedal work. 

I fly the Mi-24 most of the time with roll and pitch channel activated only, for take-off, landing and combat maneuvering. I only activate the yaw and alt channels for "auto-cruise" in route mode... 😉 For everything - trimming is the key. Everytime i'm moving the cyclic and pedals - EVERY TIME - i press down the trimming button and hold it --> move the cyclic and/or pedals -> release the trimming button after i stopped moving the cyclic stick and/or pedals. Constant trimming has to become a natural habit if you want to have smooth control about a combat helicopter in all situations.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

1 hour ago, RealDCSpilot said:

I fly the Mi-24 most of the time with roll and pitch channel activated only, for take-off, landing and combat maneuvering. I only activate the yaw and alt channels for "auto-cruise" in route mode... 😉 For everything - trimming is the key. Everytime i'm moving the cyclic and pedals - EVERY TIME - i press down the trimming button and hold it --> move the cyclic and/or pedals -> release the trimming button after i stopped moving the cyclic stick and/or pedals. Constant trimming has to become a natural habit if you want to have smooth control about a combat helicopter in all situations.

I am well aware of this, and it's something I also practice, however flying with the YAW AP channel off, is definitely not how this aircraft is supposed to be operated. It's not just a heading hold mode. 

Edited by Lurker

Is there a date for possibly getting the icon in my account?  Bought or not?

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

It seems most likely that ED keep thinking they are nearly ready but keep find some last bug(s) that needs fixing. Hence the use of 'imminent' and not having pushed out a patch release yet as they want to include the Apache in this patch and the testing done for it includes the various changes to support the Apache. 

Edited by inexus

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

I think the release of the manual means its coming very soon, and if Wags doesn't have all the vids done we have the manual and can figure it out ourselves.  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

I hope it is released asap, not for the Apache itself but for all the bug fixes we are waiting for for all the other modules. 😅 

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

2 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

I’d say next week, but lord knows some goofball will find a rivet missing on the underside of one of the access panels and be all “I ThoUgHt ED wAs aBOuT rEaLisM!!! ThIs mOdULe SuCKS!!!” and ED will have to go back and fix it, delaying it until April 2024.

HEY! Missing rivets are pretty realistic and common XD I blame the 15 golfs. But as much as I'd love for the Apache to be released next week, I'm not too sure about it happening. Hopefully I'm wrong, but ED's production and QC has improved a lot it seems. They are focused on quality over quantity, and that's a good thing. However, It is exhausting looking at the forums all day looking for the "Apache has been released to Open Beta" 😂

• Like 1

Hello,

Just bought the Apache but can't find it anywhere in my game, so any ideas where is it located?

Thanks

KnightRaider

Processor: Intel i7 4790S 3.20GHz OC at 4.04GHz

Monitor: BenQ XR3501 35inches

Graphic Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 - Twin Frozr V - OC Edition - 4G GDDR5

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA

Memory: Kingston 32G DDR3 2400Mhz Hyper X Beast

HDD: WD 2x500G, WD Velociraptor 300G, SSD Kingston 150G

Joystick: Trusmaster Warthog Hotas,

TrackIR5 Pro