Release by end of Q1 2022

xavnl

Hm....according to Wags today on the Air Combat Sim Podcast - Episode #25 on YouTube, there is another helicopter in development at the moment (no, not the AH-64D Apache) but it is secret.  Maybe this is already known, but it was news to me.

So, may I be the first to ask - "When is the release date"?  Just kidding, of course.  But anyone have a clue what the next chopper might be?

(Admins, - I know this is the AH-64D thread, so apologies if this isn't the right landing spot for this topic).

1 minute ago, RLSinCO said:

Hm....according to Wags today on the Air Combat Sim Podcast - Episode #25 on YouTube, there is another helicopter in development at the moment (no, not the AH-64D Apache) but it is secret.  Maybe this is already known, but it was news to me.

So, may I be the first to ask - "When is the release date"?  Just kidding, of course.  But anyone have a clue what the next chopper might be?

(Admins, - I know this is the AH-64D thread, so apologies if this isn't the right landing spot for this topic).

I would say Black Shark 3 but that's not a secret, my others "logical" options would be a Cobra/Viper or, why not, a Blackhawk

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

3 minutes ago, RLSinCO said:

I havent watched it yet but could he have been referring to the KW? Or is this an in-house bird?

1 minute ago, 5ephir0th said:

I would say Black Shark 3 but that's not a secret, my others "logical" options would be a Cobra/Viper or, why not, a Blackhawk

Ya BS3 has been under development for a long while

And they mentioned maybe the Ah1w iirc????

6 minutes ago, MstrCmdr said:

And they mentioned maybe the Ah1w iirc????

Story of AH-1 module for DCS is quite the saga actually. Belsimtek wanted to make AH-1G, as it would have the most commonality with UH-1, but people (understandably) wanted at least a TOW capable Cobra of later Cold War. Then they have said they will consider AH-1W. Then loooooong silence. Afterwards it was said AH-1S will be developed, to which community answered "yeah but which S?" To that, "ok" said the devs, "it is AH-1F".

...and then ED took over Belsimtek, and Cobra got postponed indefinitely, which is where we are 😛

I do really hope for an 80s to early-ish 90s F or W. Would be very cool, be a different, late cold war experience to go with modern one from the Longbow, and it would go really nice together with Mi-24P.

Anyway, helicopter folks over in ED will have quite a bit to do for sometime, with AH-64D and Mi-24P. So I would think next ED chopper is awhile yet to come, I would think. They are perhaps working on art or research portion of it for now. More helos, happier I am though 🙂

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

2 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Story of AH-1 module for DCS is quite the saga actually. Belsimtek wanted to make AH-1G, as it would have the most commonality with UH-1, but people (understandably) wanted at least a TOW capable Cobra of later Cold War. Then they have said they will consider AH-1W. Then loooooong silence. Afterwards it was said AH-1S will be developed, to which community answered "yeah but which S?" To that, "ok" said the devs, "it is AH-1F".

...and then ED took over Belsimtek, and Cobra got postponed indefinitely, which is where we are 😛

I do really hope for an 80s to early-ish 90s F or W. Would be very cool, be a different, late cold war experience to go with modern one from the Longbow, and it would go really nice together with Mi-24P.

Anyway, helicopter folks over in ED will have quite a bit to do for sometime, with AH-64D and Mi-24P. So I would think next ED chopper is awhile yet to come, I would think. They are perhaps working on art or research portion of it for now. More helos, happier I am though 🙂

Lol yep this sounds like it!

3 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Thanks for this info.  But anyways, it probably drives the developers nuts when someone brings up something in the pipeline rather than focusing on what is in hand, or about to be released.  So, again apologies if I've riled any feathers with the mystery chopper question.  Back on topic - thank you to ED for making the best combat sim in the world, and the AH-64D will undoubtedly set a new benchmark in simulation add-ons.  My thanks for the incredible work by everyone involved!

1 hour ago, 5ephir0th said:

I'd also guess some AH-1 variant. That was originally planned by BST. Guess the W would be a decent candidate, but I wouldn't mind the Z either. I think even the F was rumored.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

2 minutes ago, Eldur said:

I'd also guess some AH-1 variant. That was originally planned by BST. Guess the W would be a decent candidate, but I wouldn't mind the Z either. I think even the F was rumored.

IIRC they said something about wanting to do a Z but DoD told them to pack sand. I could be wrong on that.