Has the jug become more nose-heavy?

LeCuvier

Background: When the jug's mission starts airborn, the nose goes down immediately and you have to trim the elevator heavily for horizontal flight.
That makes instant action missions difficult as the bandit tends to be shooting at you berfore you are done trimming.

So I created a new key command that sets the elevator trim to -0.4 (40% tail-heavy) when I push the button. And that worked satisfactorily for a while.

But now, with version 2.7.8, I had to change my custom command to -0.85 (85% tail-heavy!) in order to fly horizontally without heavy pitch input. This indicates to me that the aircraft has become significantly more nose-heavy, to a degree that seems unrealistic to me. Shouldn't the aircraft be balanced so that it can fly with elevator trim near neutral?

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It seems to be close to neutral for me, though. That's how it looks when I launch the first 1 on 1 instant mission on Caucasus and trim for level flight with max continuous power settings.

The red indicator of the elevator trim is a bit on the tail heavy side, but not much - it needs to be over left vertical line of the letter "N". I don't recall it being much different in previous version, if at all. I haven't modded default.luas for the Jug, however.

P.S. - you might want to edit the thread title, because it contradicts the thread content, making it somewhat confusing (more tail heavy or more nose heavy?) ;).

Screen_211126_222454_cut.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

What i noticed as well that P-47 become nose heavy with speed increase which is accurate, according to the manual always trim before dive.

So elevator trim depends very on your speed and power applied. It is obvious that ED just finishing up FM, those thing were missing at release.

This actually fits P-47 diving problems where proper trim was required before entering dive and as well keeping the power up to avoid nose heavy tendency.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• LeCuvier changed the title to Has the jug become more nose-heavy?

@Art-J: thanks for the hint, I corrected the title.

I have backed out all mods (with OvGME) and ran a Repair (slow). The problem is still there. I have to trim almost fully tailheavy (see screenshot) in order to achieve horizontal flight without pitch input. I attach a screen copy. This is in a free-flight instant action mission, and no mods in the system. (Anyway, I have no mods that affect flight behaviour. The mod I mentioned simply allows me to set a trim axis to a pre-determined value by pushing a button.) Flaps and undercarriage are retracted and the aircraft has no payload.
And I use the latest 2.7.8 version.

So what could make her so excessively nose-heavy? One might think of a mis-calibrated joystick; but then I would have similar problems with Mosquito, Mustang, Spit, Bf-109 and FW-190 and that's not the case.

P-47D Trim.JPG

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

@LeCuvier - In instant free-flight mission I'm getting the same result as previously , i.e. marker over the left side of the letter N. Since repair doesn't affect Saved Games folder, I'd say the culprit is somewhere on your controller setup side. Do you use FFB stick by any chance? These are known to mess up the trim neutral point in some modules and not in the others.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@Barrett_g   No, I have no double binding on my axes. And the button bindings are not messed up. I just checked all my bindings.

@Art-J No, I have no FFB stick. I will rename my saved games config subfolders for the 2 jug versions to see if the culprit is there.

LeCuvier

So I re-named the config subfolders under Saved Games, restarted DCS OB, re-created the bindings for basic flight axes and trim POV bindings, and re-launched my test mission. In my test mission I fly a P-47D-40. But DCS only created a subfolder for the P-47D-30.
And what's worse: It's now impossible to trim her pitch-neutral.
For the time being i'm done with this thing. She makes a nice target for my Hun fighters.

LeCuvier

23 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

So I re-named the config subfolders under Saved Games, restarted DCS OB, re-created the bindings for basic flight axes and trim POV bindings, and re-launched my test mission. In my test mission I fly a P-47D-40. But DCS only created a subfolder for the P-47D-30.
And what's worse: It's now impossible to trim her pitch-neutral.
For the time being i'm done with this thing. She makes a nice target for my Hun fighters.

There should be indeed only one sub-folder, named "P-47D-30" over there, used by all three variants, so that's actually OK.

Your neutral pitch problem is puzzling, though. Apart from game flight model, which you don't use I suppose, I don't know what could cause it. I use Thrustmaster Warthog (without Target software) and the plane seems to be reacting to bindings in 2.7.8 as it did in previous builds.

@Art-J: thanks for your feedback! I have now deleted the sub-folder for P-47D-40 and that does not make any difference. I use a VIRPIL base with a TM WH grip, and the Jug is the only aircraft behaving differently in 2.7.8. Unless some other people experience the phenomenon, I can only hope that some future version will fix it just by good luck.

LeCuvier