Yoyo's Syrian Faction Map - July 2016

Aarnoman

Faction Map  based on July 2016 battle positions in Syria - intended for use by Mission Editors, either to aid in crafting semi-realistic missions or for inspiration. Note that many of the borders are around defensible terrain, or of areas with strategic value. These borders have been carefully correlated through use of overlays, in game geographic and man made features, and coordinates to ensure a high degree of accuracy. Most borders were manually adjusted to best fit with the representation in DCS (e.g. matching border walls, streams, or highways used as logical borders when appropriate).

The borders are by default only visible in the mission editor, but can also be shown to coalition by moving the relevant areas to the respective coalition side under the 'draw' section of the mission editor.
Sources used in the creation of this conflict map:
OpenStreetMap
Wikipedia Conflict Map

Cover.jpg

Download: Download Link (Click here)

Wanting to integrate this into an existing mission? Follow the instructions here

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

• 2 weeks later...

Yoyo,

This is a really great piece of work you've made here. Coincidentally, I'm developing a campaign for the A-10C and A-10C II in Syria around the same time frame (Fall of 2016). Is there a way I can import your Faction Map into my already developed Syria AO map?

I'd like to be able to use your map underneath my existing map as a great reference. I would, of course, give you full credit for all the work you've done here.

John

On 12/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, King39 said:

Yoyo,

This is a really great piece of work you've made here. Coincidentally, I'm developing a campaign for the A-10C and A-10C II in Syria around the same time frame (Fall of 2016). Is there a way I can import your Faction Map into my already developed Syria AO map?

I'd like to be able to use your map underneath my existing map as a great reference. I would, of course, give you full credit for all the work you've done here.

John

I think this might be possible with some file trickery, as .miz files are just zip files. I will have to look into it, wont be able to until the end of the week unfortunately. Will update and provide a guide if it is possible then though. Thanks 👍

On 12/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, King39 said:

Yoyo,

John

Actually, figured it out. Please see the attached file on this post. Steps to integrate it with an existing mission are as follows:

1) Locate the .miz that you want the template drawings added (Note, the mission should be set in the Syria map for this to work correctly). Create a backup of this .miz file first.

2) Open the .miz through 7zip (available here: https://www.7-zip.org/download.html).

This is achieved by right clicking on the .miz -> 7zip -> open archive.

You should see this:

image.png

3) Right click on "mission" and select open. I recommend opening it in notepad++ (available here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/ )

4) Press Ctrl+F and search for "drawing". This should find a line that starts with ["drawing"] = {

image.png

We will be replacing this entire block of code with the factions template attached.

5)
Replace everything in this code block (the drawing code block) with the information from the attached text file. (From ["drawings"] to -- end of ["drawings"] )

If using notepad++, this can be easily achieved by right clicking on the line starting with ["drawing"], clicking "Begin/End select", then Ctrl+F for "Drawing" to find the end of the code block (the line with "-- end of ["drawings"]") and right clicking -> Begin/End select. You can then delete this segment, and paste in the new ["drawing"] block from the attached text file.

6) Once edited, press Ctrl+A to select all text in the file, and Ctrl+C to copy it.

7) In 7Zip, reselect the mission file, and right click -> edit (alternatively, press F4 when the mission file is selected).

image.png

8). The file should now open in notepad. Press Ctrl+A to select it all, and press backspace to clear the file. Now, press Ctrl+V to paste the content of the edited mission file we created in notepad++ earlier.

9) Press Ctrl+S (Save).

10) Close both notepad++ and notepad.

11) When refocusing on the 7zip window, there should now be a prompt that "File 'mission' was modified". Press OK on this prompt.

image.png

12) Congratulations, the drawings have now been added to the mission. You can now open the mission as normal in the DCS mission editor, and the drawings should be available.

To view it in the mission, you must check the "Author" layer in the mission editor drawing section.

image.png

If you have any issues with this, please let me know, I will try and assist further.

Good luck with your campaign! 🙂

YoyoSyriaFactionsTemplateIntegration.txt

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Thanks 2

Yoyo,

Well I'll be dipped in shit it worked!

Sonofagun. Wow, THAT is really cool!

Had to do it a different way to get it to work but it worked.

Gonna have to play around with this.

What name do you want in the Credits section? I don't want to just put "Yoyo".

Edited by King39

4 hours ago, King39 said:

Yoyo,

Well I'll be dipped in shit it worked!

Sonofagun. Wow, THAT is really cool!

Had to do it a different way to get it to work but it worked.

Gonna have to play around with this.

What name do you want in the Credits section? I don't want to just put "Yoyo".

Yoyo is fine by me, though feel free to use my DCS handle "Yoyo (Aarnoman)" if you really want to credit. I'm happy for people to use it without credit as well, but having a link to the download in case someone else may want to use it would be welcome 🙂

Thanks again and good luck with the mission, please do send me a link when it is published, would love to fly it.

• Like 1