LeapMotion - thank you ED. You listened.

TED

We are often too quick to complain and too slow to praise, so praise where praise is due to ED for updating the implication of leapmotion in dcs. A few of us had been discussing it and asking for a few simple modifications from the dcs side. Folks like @BIGNEWYanswered in the discussions and promised to look into it.

Not sure when it got updated or how I missed it had been updated but today I noticed some new features including the all important ability to not let it interfere with the controls. I have just been able to successfully use it in the a10c2 and for me it is a bit of a game changer. Thank you ED for listening and following up. For me this is what really sets dcs apart from all other sims. I genuinely feel they interact and react to our requests and discussions and share many of the same interests as all other users in making dcs work as well as it possibly can. 

• Like 5

• ED Team

Hi and thanks, we continue to improve leap motion and VR in general, everyone's feedback helps us a lot and we appreciate it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Agreed, it's taken a massive step forward in the last couple of months. Thanks to the devs for the work on turning an almost useable gimmick into something that can actually work nicely.

Pity that my G2 had decided that it hates EVERY SINGLE USB port on my machine since I upgraded my 1070 to a 3070 😬

On the leap motion side, the bug (?) that makes the right hand disappear if vr mouse is enabled is a little annoying. If you turn off vr mouse then it's much better but then you have a constant mouse crosshair in the middle of the view.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

At the moment it's not immediately as quick as mouse clicking but the immersion is pretty cool.

It's still not 100%, I have difficulty with rotaries where you would normally mouse wheel but that could just need practise. Perhaps if a thumb/index pinch action could be used to lock the hand onto a rotary and then rotate the wrist to actuate might work?

Without the physical feedback of pressing the button it can be hard to tell if you've pressed or even if you've missed the button altogether. Perhaps something like a quick visual highlight to show that you've "targeted" that specific button with your fingertip night help.

I've found that if you make fairly gross sweeping movements over toggle switches it works better than trying to gently push them if that makes sense. Like you would flick a toggle than push it.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate summary currently. It's really fiddly (but doable for me*) for the radios and lighting panels in the A10, but anything forward of your hips is pretty good, sometimes have to lean in to eliminate parallax errors though. For the UFC and MFDs it's really nice 🙂

*that could be due to the setup of my chair/desk, your mileage may vary.

Yup, there's an option to use virtual hands on controllers and you can toggle each individually. If you enable them with a physical stick then all sorts of shenanigans ensue 😄

I've got my warthog arranged so that the stick and throttle are in the right place so my virtual hands land on the virtual controls and disappear as soon as there's control input.

I have had an instance where the virtual hotas controllers enabled themselves but it's only a case of checking and unchecking the tick boxes. The leap motion also resets itself each time you start up dcs and needs to be re-enabled including turning off the laser pointers.

Is there a way to quickly turn on/off leap motion ? In my case I would probably only use it to interact with the UFC/ICP, so I would need to be able to turn if off while using other peripherals such as Winwing panels and MFDs. 

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro