Mission 8 JTAC doesn't respond

Mission 8 (I think) "Snake Trap."

I am instructed by Overlord to contact the JTAC through the menus. I am doing this the same way as I have in other missions, and selecting Checkin 30 min, etc., but the JTAC is not responding. This is multiple attempts at 50 mi out, 20 mi out, within visual of the target, and after overflying the target.

10 hours ago, JethroTundra said:

Mission 8 (I think) "Snake Trap."

I am instructed by Overlord to contact the JTAC through the menus. I am doing this the same way as I have in other missions, and selecting Checkin 30 min, etc., but the JTAC is not responding. This is multiple attempts at 50 mi out, 20 mi out, within visual of the target, and after overflying the target.

Hi, just flew the normal Super carrier version of mission 8. Had no problems contacting Axeman.

You will get a reminder to contact the JTAC at 20 miles.

If you have not changed the radio  you should already be on the right frequency. 

JTAC Axeman should be available in the radio menu 

Very important, are you sure you are using the COMM1 ( call radio menu) normally RAlt + \ or what ever button you have set it to on your HOTAS if you have one.

Hope this helps

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I never use radio through HOTAS, I just press \ to bring up the radio menu and go through the menus. This is what I was doing. I selected the JTAC Axeman on the menu and heard the voice go through the whole speech of what weapons I had and "what do you have for us." Then just silence. I'll try it again tonight. 

5 hours ago, JethroTundra said:

I never use radio through HOTAS, I just press \ to bring up the radio menu and go through the menus. This is what I was doing. I selected the JTAC Axeman on the menu and heard the voice go through the whole speech of what weapons I had and "what do you have for us." Then just silence. I'll try it again tonight. 

Hi, you always have to go through the radio menu system even when you use your Hotas.

As I have said you must use the COMM1 selection to pull up the radio menu as it is COMM 1 which is at the correct JTAC frequency. I believe \ is only for on the ground.

You will get the message you received as it is you speaking. You are not getting a response as you are not using COMM1.

One other thing. ‘Easy communications’ should be off in your game settings.

Hope this helps

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 months later...

Hi Badger,

Easy Comms OFF here, but Axeman only responds if I call him on COMM 2. Tried inside and outside of 20 NM, responds both cases only if called on COMM2.

Also, if you try to extend to the North before turning in, to be on an easterly egress HDG at the end, Mission Fail counts me out.

Could you please check maybe?

17 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Hi Badger,

Easy Comms OFF here, but Axeman only responds if I call him on COMM 2. Tried inside and outside of 20 NM, responds both cases only if called on COMM2.

Also, if you try to extend to the North before turning in, to be on an easterly egress HDG at the end, Mission Fail counts me out.

Could you please check maybe?

Hi

Just checked this out. No problems with communication with JTAC. COMM 1 speak button is RAlt+\  COMM 2 speak button is RCtrl+\  are you sure the bindings are correct?

The fail zone is 19 N Miles radius from the target currently so you need to stay within this area.

Hope this helps.

Badger633

Yeah, I experienced this the day before yesterday. So yesterday I triple checked it on purpose. COMM1 and comm 2 is both assigned to my TM HW Throttle 4-way thumb switch, but I tried both, looking at the pop up comms menu title (COMMs1 vs COMMs2).

When trying on COMMS1 (Radio 1 Channel 1), no reply. If I tune COMMS2/Radio to "M" 133.000, Axeman immediately responds. Same for all subsequent JTAC communication.

But I understand you couldn't reproduce it, so it is not a showstopper.

But on the same note, sometimes JTAC doesn't seem to lase after I tell him LASER ON, and he responds "Laser on... Lasing". When Uncaged, the Maverick X wanders down to the spot it supposed to lock on, but more times than not, the X doesn't change to a square. I even tried "Terminate" and again "Laser on", but no square. 1688 set for both MAV, so I dunno...

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Yeah, I experienced this the day before yesterday. So yesterday I triple checked it on purpose. COMM1 and comm 2 is both assigned to my TM HW Throttle 4-way thumb switch, but I tried both, looking at the pop up comms menu title (COMMs1 vs COMMs2).

When trying on COMMS1 (Radio 1 Channel 1), no reply. If I tune COMMS2/Radio to "M" 133.000, Axeman immediately responds. Same for all subsequent JTAC communication.

But I understand you couldn't reproduce it, so it is not a showstopper.

But on the same note, sometimes JTAC doesn't seem to lase after I tell him LASER ON, and he responds "Laser on... Lasing". When Uncaged, the Maverick X wanders down to the spot it supposed to lock on, but more times than not, the X doesn't change to a square. I even tried "Terminate" and again "Laser on", but no square. 1688 set for both MAV, so I dunno...

Thanks

Not sure regarding the laser issue. Are you sure you have good line of sight in those instances. When I get time I will check out this end. Either way if intermittent

it is a DCS issue as not controlled via the  Mission scripting.  

3 hours ago, Razor18 said:

It even does it when I WPDSG WP1 and uncage to that. Both MAV triangle and TGT diamond are both well within HUD FOV. That's why I went down too low and got shot by MANPADS...😜

HI

Just flew the mission as issued. I had no problem with JTAC Comms and also with the JTAC lasing for both targets. I called at 20 miles as instructed. (There is no mission issue with this its just a reasonable distance for good Comms.) Regarding the lasing, set up the Mav as normal and when the JTAC was lasing on uncaging the MAV locked on to position quickly and when cleared hot released missile first target down. The JTAC gave "Shift" and I turned and uncaged with immediate lock and released taking out second target.  On first approach I am travelling in the direction of the flight plan. I climb to about Angels 16 and release so I am looking down in the valley say at a 30 to 45 degree vertical angle so very good laser visibility.  

Hope this helps.

Having the same problem. Not even the first time flying the mission, flied it a few months ago and had no problems. Tried both radios, preset and manual frequency. No reply after 20+ times trying to contact him. Supercarrier version.

Do you have a script that activates the JTAC based on proximity? In the previous mission where you had to shoot a yacht, the trigger for getting close to Batumi didn't work as long as I was flying up at 40k feet for like 10 minutes. Had to go down to 20k feet before the mission proceeded. Only idea I have is that it might be a similar issue here.

EDIT: Just flied the mission again. Did everything exactly the same, but stayed below 20k feet en route. The JTAC worked.

Edited by gachatar

5 hours ago, gachatar said:

Having the same problem. Not even the first time flying the mission, flied it a few months ago and had no problems. Tried both radios, preset and manual frequency. No reply after 20+ times trying to contact him. Supercarrier version.

Do you have a script that activates the JTAC based on proximity? In the previous mission where you had to shoot a yacht, the trigger for getting close to Batumi didn't work as long as I was flying up at 40k feet for like 10 minutes. Had to go down to 20k feet before the mission proceeded. Only idea I have is that it might be a similar issue here.

EDIT: Just flied the mission again. Did everything exactly the same, but stayed below 20k feet en route. The JTAC worked.

Hi

No, there is no mission specific scripting regarding the JTAC position and height other than those within the DCS sim generally.  I assume DCS have placed their own proximity rules within the sim to reflect JTAC comms limitations. Also the JTAC is active all the time in the mission we are discussing no triggers involved.

Strange regarding the yacht example as in that other mission the trigger zone set has no height limitation. However never flown it at 40k.

Badger633

• 1 month later...

I'm providing this hoping it might help fix something if it's really the mission but I suspect it's just the poor JTAC system in DCS. My experience: Flew the mission last night for the first time and arrived at the ~20 mile zone where you get the audio cue to call. I was probably higher than intended at 26k but from some above comments that shouldn't really matter.  Contacted the JTAC on the proper frequencies, nothing. Over and over. I eventually tried changing distance (Iglas were shooting at me) altitudes, angles of approach, all combinations of radio channels, frequencies, that I could think of. Nothing. I decided to try to finish the mission with the IR Mavericks and as soon as the first one hit the building suddenly the JTAC shot a bunch of seemingly delayed messages at me with no issue and I was able to run through the normal JTAC radio menu including at my initial altitude and position.  The laser worked fine and  I was able to launch the laser Mavericks at the already destroyed building locations. I suspect this has something to do with DCS's poor JTAC system than the mission but maybe I broke something showing up at too high of an altitude initially.  I was able to complete the mission by gunning the BTRs that showed up thereafter.

Today I ran the mission again and came in at 15k and everything worked exactly as I would suspect. The only weird thing this time is the JTAC said the target was a ZSU-23 initially but when I asked what my target was again he said "bunkers" I don't remember it doing this the first time but it might have been lost in the warp speed radio messages. Again, pretty sure this is DCS rather than the specific mission build. 

Probably unrelated to the above: Both times I couldn't get the  tanker's TACAN to work at all. I checked repeatedly that I was on the right settings  and flipped it over to the Stennis with no issues. It just continued to hunt for 10X with no resolution. Both times I ended up finding it with radar so it was definitely spawned in. I can provide a screenshot sitting in the drogue with the TACAN hunting. I glanced in the mission editor and Texaco's TACAN appears to be set to 10X so again, probably DCS being a pain in the ass. Keep up the good work Badger!

In DCS the old gods are dead and we pray to the new gods RNG and Fate. It's time to toss the dice.

4 hours ago, ColonelColt said:

Probably unrelated to the above: Both times I couldn't get the  tanker's TACAN to work at all. I checked repeatedly that I was on the right settings  and flipped it over to the Stennis with no issues. It just continued to hunt for 10X with no resolution. Both times I ended up finding it with radar so it was definitely spawned in. I can provide a screenshot sitting in the drogue with the TACAN hunting. I glanced in the mission editor and Texaco's TACAN appears to be set to 10X so again, probably DCS being a pain in the ass. Keep up the good work Badger!

A-A TACAN is currently not working (bug), you need to set it to T-R instead.

7 hours ago, ColonelColt said:

I'm providing this hoping it might help fix something if it's really the mission but I suspect it's just the poor JTAC system in DCS. My experience: Flew the mission last night for the first time and arrived at the ~20 mile zone where you get the audio cue to call. I was probably higher than intended at 26k but from some above comments that shouldn't really matter.  Contacted the JTAC on the proper frequencies, nothing. Over and over. I eventually tried changing distance (Iglas were shooting at me) altitudes, angles of approach, all combinations of radio channels, frequencies, that I could think of. Nothing. I decided to try to finish the mission with the IR Mavericks and as soon as the first one hit the building suddenly the JTAC shot a bunch of seemingly delayed messages at me with no issue and I was able to run through the normal JTAC radio menu including at my initial altitude and position.  The laser worked fine and  I was able to launch the laser Mavericks at the already destroyed building locations. I suspect this has something to do with DCS's poor JTAC system than the mission but maybe I broke something showing up at too high of an altitude initially.  I was able to complete the mission by gunning the BTRs that showed up thereafter.

Today I ran the mission again and came in at 15k and everything worked exactly as I would suspect. The only weird thing this time is the JTAC said the target was a ZSU-23 initially but when I asked what my target was again he said "bunkers" I don't remember it doing this the first time but it might have been lost in the warp speed radio messages. Again, pretty sure this is DCS rather than the specific mission build. 

Hi 

rob10 is right, currently the Tacan in DCS has to be operated with TR only and not with AA. The trouble is many and myself included still couldn’t contact the Tanker even without AA selected. I have fixed it now by resetting the script for the tacan for every Tanker mission in all my campaigns. This is with ED and will be in the next update.

You are correct the JTAC is a DCS issue and not the mission. The JTAC has got some issues at the moment and I have noticed it even in the campaign missions I am working on now, especially when reading back the weapons to be used. Best thing to do is report it to ED so they can look into it.

Hope you enjoy the campaign 🙂👍

• Like 1

I was enjoying it right up until I ate a missile from a MiG in the last mission of the campaign (I think)  literally as I got the audio message about "Success!" Death over Kutaisi, what a way to go. I'll give it another shot in a moment though.  I wish they would stop releasing new modules for a while and just fix things like the JTAC and other core mechanics. It's tedious enough when it works properly. Also, give me Kuwait, damnit! I need to fight some Iraqis up there.

In DCS the old gods are dead and we pray to the new gods RNG and Fate. It's time to toss the dice.

8 hours ago, ColonelColt said:

I was enjoying it right up until I ate a missile from a MiG in the last mission of the campaign (I think)  literally as I got the audio message about "Success!" Death over Kutaisi, what a way to go. I'll give it another shot in a moment though.  I wish they would stop releasing new modules for a while and just fix things like the JTAC and other core mechanics. It's tedious enough when it works properly. Also, give me Kuwait, damnit! I need to fight some Iraqis up there.

You must have been hit by a missile in the air from the last mig which was killed by the ground based SAMs before the missile hit.

As suggested by the Kutaisi ATC message, best strategy is to get past the base and then turn and go offensive against the migs to avoid being killed from your six.

Edited by Badger633

• 4 months later...

Just to add here - similar issue with JTAC in the mission right now. No response on COMM1 133.0. I tried several times and no dice. Easy comms are off, I tried both radios 1 and 2, as well as setting the frequency manually. No response from JTAC. I did bomb all the houses in the area and managed to damage them both 1%... 

If only I didn't have to like fly 15 minutes again to hit this bug again 😞

Edited by markom

8 hours ago, markom said:

Just to add here - similar issue with JTAC in the mission right now. No response on COMM1 133.0. I tried several times and no dice. Easy comms are off, I tried both radios 1 and 2, as well as setting the frequency manually. No response from JTAC. I did bomb all the houses in the area and managed to damage them both 1%... 

If only I didn't have to like fly 15 minutes again to hit this bug again 😞

Will check it out. How high were you and what distance from the target were you when trying to contact JTAC?  You will need to carry out a strike hitting the correct buildings and so need the JTAC. 

UPDATE: Just checked it out contacted JTAC without any problem. Make sure you are contacting them within the 20 miles and i was at a height of Angels15. You could be getting radio shadow if your lower and too far away. Other than that check you are using the correct Comm 1 button to call up the radio menu.

Which version are you playing. Super Carrier , not Super Carrier / easy A2A or normal?

Hope this helps

Badger633 

Edited by Badger633

Alright. More details, and I think you have a genuine buggy behavior.

I played the mission a few more times last night (unrelated: I'm beginning to hate your twisted mind, and can't wait to see the lion). In all cases I was able to contact JTAC and do their bidding.

Difference was:

Make sure you are contacting them within the 20 miles and i was at a height of Angels15.

When it didn't work, I was way out, 70 or so miles when I made the initial call. After that, no matter what I tried didn't help. I was just stuck flying on my own.  Now, I think it's OK that JTAC doesn't respond that far out, but once we get within their range, they should be able to respond. 

On another note: you say you were at 15000 ft -- mission instructions and ATC call for 10 :-).

2 hours ago, markom said:

Alright. More details, and I think you have a genuine buggy behavior.

I played the mission a few more times last night (unrelated: I'm beginning to hate your twisted mind, and can't wait to see the lion). In all cases I was able to contact JTAC and do their bidding.

Difference was:

When it didn't work, I was way out, 70 or so miles when I made the initial call. After that, no matter what I tried didn't help. I was just stuck flying on my own.  Now, I think it's OK that JTAC doesn't respond that far out, but once we get within their range, they should be able to respond. 

On another note: you say you were at 15000 ft -- mission instructions and ATC call for 10 :-).

Hi 

Give it a try, contact them when 20 miles out as in the written brief you are also reminded on route. Fly at Angels 15.

Yeah, just checked, Angels 10 is not in the brief but given to you as a clearance on launch and also via a clearance over Batumi.  This however would not apply when in the combat arena you select the best height for the job. ATC would not know if you have a missile chasing you, so you do what's needed when in the combat arena. 🙂👍

As I have said, I flew the mission and got the JTAC fine so cannot repeat this end.  If there was a bug,  which I do not think is the case,  it is not a mission scripting issue but a main DCS bug as mission scripting does not govern the ability to communicate with the JTACs.

Best of Luck

Yeah, like I said -- contacting them only and only 20 miles out worked. However, what causes the problem is if someone contacts them earlier. That's a bug. It's OK if they don't respond 80 miles out, but they SHOULD respond 20 miles out. If one contacts them before, they never ever respond after <- bug 🙂

35 minutes ago, markom said:

Yeah, like I said -- contacting them only and only 20 miles out worked. However, what causes the problem is if someone contacts them earlier. That's a bug. It's OK if they don't respond 80 miles out, but they SHOULD respond 20 miles out. If one contacts them before, they never ever respond after <- bug 🙂

I think the initial fail is probably due to distance and radio shadow as they are  obscured by hills. Why it does not work after that,  not got a clue. You might want to report it to ED as a potential bug.

Hope you enjoy the campaign. 🙂

Fair enough :-).

Regarding enjoying the campaign. To be honest, not as much, but it's not that I hate it. I'm just not too good at it :-). I needed to cheat a few times (I obtained TGP and AMRAAMs through my outside-the-navy contacts, but don't tell the boss).