AV-8B SJU-4/A Ejection Seat

Xpendable

I have been working on designing a full scale facsimile AV-8B ejection seat, which is the first component of my Harrier cockpit that I plan to build.  I've got a long way to go before this design is finished and I can finally start building.  What do you think so far?  It will be made out of 3/4" and 1/2" wood primarily (most likely MDF, possibly plywood).  The seat back will get covered with a thin piece of aluminum (I think) and of course will get a padded seat back in front of that.  I was going to make the seat raise and lower like the real thing, but I couldn't find any cost effective solutions for that at this time, but is something that could be added later.  When I'm done, I'll be putting the FreeCAD file up on Github to share.

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest progress on my CAD model.  I figured out how to use the ModelViewer2 to generate planar ortho images to use as references in FreeCAD.  I had to rework almost the entire model, but it's starting to get there!  I also obtained real seat back and head rest pads from a real AV-8B...  

JasonHarrierScreenie3.png

seatpads.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! I wish I had the knowledge for cad or 3d design. 

Isn't the seat a common ground with f16 seats? There are plenty of files from that seat online. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 4 months later...

Did you get any progress? I find that super interesting as I wanted to dip my toe into building something similar but lack the skills at CAD / modeling to pull it off 🙂

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

On 1/4/2022 at 5:00 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Nice! I wish I had the knowledge for cad or 3d design. 

Isn't the seat a common ground with f16 seats? There are plenty of files from that seat online. 

Not at all. The F16 uses the Raytheon ACESII, the SJU-4 is a Talley Industries seat. It does seem to have some Martin Baker inspiration and it is a through-canopy naval seat, so really very different.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Xpendable your doing the MVP proud with that build!  Will be epic when you have it finished.  Much like my F86 Sim Pit build, it takes years to collect all of the necessary parts.  Take your time, enjoy the journey and be in no rush to ever finish it!

• Like 1

MVP | Community Founder
Email: 
muggavirtualpilot@gmail.com

mvp-signature-image.png

Discord:  https://discord.gg/brSBc9BWaZ  |  Twitch:  www.twitch.tv/muggavirtualpilot  |  Facebook:  www.facebook.com/muggavirtualpilot

• 1 month later...

Latest update. 3d printed manual seat release, 3d printed inertial reel lock release, rebuilt the back so tubes and extruded aluminum bars have correct gap between them. Recarved stryrofoam seat back (still needs fiberglass) and made my own seat cushion. Lots more still to do!20221002_202735.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...