A better way to deal with the drifting yaw trim

jubuttib

As you fly around, even if you don't have rudder trim turned on, often the rudders still get offset from center quite significantly, with the only way to fix it being to reset trim overall.

The ideal solution would be for this to not happen, obviously, but a secondary better way would be to have a separate "reset rudder trim" binding.

The same thing happens with the Mi-8 too, so I guess the two share some parts of the code. Haven't noticed this happening on other helis yet, though not saying it doesn't.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:13 PM, SmukY said:

Just disable the yaw autopilot channel, I guess. But then you'll have to keep the left pedal pressed.

It's really useful tho when flying long distances. And at least on the Mi-8 this happens even if I turn off the yaw channel when making turns. And turning the yaw channel off doesn't actually fix the trim offset, you need to hit reset trim to get it back to center.

Yeah but the problem is I don't know if the actual hind has a rudder trim reset. It's a thing that also bothers me since I don't have fully understanding of. And when I disable that damper it actually doesn't turn off and it still stays where it was so I really don't have a idea how to center it except using trim reset which is not quite realistic.

Also tried disabling SPUU, yaw autopilot channel etc, switching damper off ... nothing helps, when the pedals are there, they are there and you can't recenter them.

Edited by SmukY

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I mapped switching the Yaw channel on and off onto my HOTAS for this.

To the question regarding realism... we don't know. After half a year, the Hind sadly is still basically at release state and the meager documentation given along doesn't explain most of stuff.

19 hours ago, SmukY said:

Yeah but the problem is I don't know if the actual hind has a rudder trim reset. It's a thing that also bothers me since I don't have fully understanding of. And when I disable that damper it actually doesn't turn off and it still stays where it was so I really don't have a idea how to center it except using trim reset which is not quite realistic.

Also tried disabling SPUU, yaw autopilot channel etc, switching damper off ... nothing helps, when the pedals are there, they are there and you can't recenter them.

I mean trim reset of any kind is basically a compatibility thing because we tend to use joysticks and rudders that have springs on them, they're not something the real thing would feature in any way.

5 hours ago, Rongor said:

I mapped switching the Yaw channel on and off onto my HOTAS for this.

To the question regarding realism... we don't know. After half a year, the Hind sadly is still basically at release state and the meager documentation given along doesn't explain most of stuff.

I do turn the yaw channel on and off depending on what I'm doing, but it doesn't affect the trim of the pedals being off center...

And I don't think it's quite fair to say it's "still basically at release state", they have improved it substantially since release, especially early on. It's nowhere near as janky as it was initially.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jubuttib said:

And I don't think it's quite fair to say it's "still basically at release state", they have improved it substantially since release, especially early on. It's nowhere near as janky as it was initially.

I don't think you got what I was saying. Hind was given into early access in June. Now after several updates, we have it almost in release state, yet the manual didn't receive updates, so sadly despite all the additional implementations we still can read up how most of the stuff is working.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, Rongor said:

I don't think you got what I was saying. Hind was given into early access in June. Now after several updates, we have it almost in release state, yet the manual didn't receive updates, so sadly despite all the additional implementations we still can read up how most of the stuff is working.

Ah yes, I read that completely the wrong way! Cheers. 😃