A better way to deal with the drifting yaw trim

jubuttib

As you fly around, even if you don't have rudder trim turned on, often the rudders still get offset from center quite significantly, with the only way to fix it being to reset trim overall.

The ideal solution would be for this to not happen, obviously, but a secondary better way would be to have a separate "reset rudder trim" binding.

The same thing happens with the Mi-24P too, so I guess the two share some parts of the code. Haven't noticed this happening on other helis yet, though not saying it doesn't.

• Like 1

AFAIK this only happens  if you have the heading channel engaged and it needs to move the pedals to keep the heading you've set and since it cannot move your physical pedals it does this by adding an offset to the input - not sure if that is avoidable.

FWIIW you can also "trim it out" by keeping the AP channel on and either us a throttle/stick setting that forces it to return the pedals to neutral or dial in a heading change but use the stick to fight it.

"Reset rudder trim" would work as kludge - especially if it worked like setting a new trim position, i.e. it would disable you pedal input until you've matched the ingame pedal position and then kill the offset. That way you can smoothly take over the pedals - perhaps with a timeout so you don't disable the rudder for too long if you forget to match the position.

To properly solve this we'd need force feedback pedals... and (new) force feedback joysticks for that matter.

For me ( as average ballpark numbers only) what works at average weights is to set the rotor blade pitch angle to around 7 and then once you reach a indicated speed of around 200kph,the Mi-8 needs close to zero or zero anti-torque pedal input to fly straight and relatively well balanced.

That way you can live the yaw trimmer off and  do longer flight segments relatively hassle free.

Kind regards,

Snappy