Severe performance drop in MP after changing planes/slots

cfrag

I've noticed that in the newer open betas (perhaps since a few weeks?) when I change my airframe in MP a couple of times (say from Huey to FA18 to Huey and then Ka-50), immediately after the slot change the frame rates drop dramatically (this is in VR) - from a manageable 45 to somewhere in the region of 5. It's a bit unpredictable (changes can remain fine when I switch between A-10A/Hornet), but once this hits, the mission becomes unplayable. It's much more prevalent when the Hind is in the mix somewhere. A memory leak? In any event, it's really bad when it hits me and I'm the hosting server (because I have to stop the mission for all). 

Is this a known issue?

Edited by cfrag

This is also my experience (VR), although it has been this way since I started.

I can make one "complex" module change before I need to reboot the computer (e.g. Hornet -> Viper).

The same happens if I use F2 view too many times.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

I've juste tried this sequence with only cold aircraft:

1. M-2000C (56 fps)
  2. JF-17 (58 fps)
  3. AJS-37 (54 fps)
  4. F-16C (57 fps)
  5. M-2000C (57 fps)
  6. JF-17 (58 dps)

I experienced no performance/FPS issue.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Maybe this is related to the fact that I'm MP-ing and VR-ing? It now happens regularly after changing multiple times (Huey-->FA18-->Eagle boom). Game becomes unplayable after some 40 minutes immediately after entering the eagle. All aircraft hot

I'll conduct some testing to see if I can get more data

Edited by cfrag

• 2 weeks later...

I get the performance drop in VR when switching from hornet to viper or vice versa. I’m using reverb G2. I have to exit the mission and then change to a different graphics preset, which clears the problem until I switch aircraft mid-mission again. 

On 11/29/2021 at 8:33 AM, Flappie said:

I've juste tried this sequence with only cold aircraft:

1. M-2000C (56 fps)
  2. JF-17 (58 fps)
  3. AJS-37 (54 fps)
  4. F-16C (57 fps)
  5. M-2000C (57 fps)
  6. JF-17 (58 dps)

I experienced no performance/FPS issue.

I do experience this issue, but I don't fly any of those aircraft (Although I do own the F-16C).

My most commonly used modules are the A-10C II and Mosquito, with some time in the Spitfire IX. The frame rate drop in VR is very marked and although it does sometimes resolve, it's usually quick to reboot/restart.

MP only for me (so far) but it can happen even when I'm the only player on the server.

I also use the Reverb G2.

quick specs: 9700k (not OC), 32Gb RAM (3200), DCS installed on 1Tb Samsung 980 pro, OS on another 980PRo (both SSD are only running on PCIE 3.0) EVGA 3080 (base model, non OC)

Edited by Morat

I've been seeing performance drops all around in MP and longer load times when dropping out of a server and even shutting the game off. Just really long loading times or delays whenever MP is involved for the last month or so. I've checked my RAM usage and still have space available even with 16GB.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I asked VR-using testers for their feedback about this issue. Some of them said they already had experienced this, and said it was happening rarely and at random. They also gave a workaround for when that happens: use Alt+Tab to return to Windows desktop, and stay there for half a minute, then ALt+Tab back to game.

Does this workaround work on your end?

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I might most likely be totally off the mark here. I had an issue with frame drop which was caused by the game hitting 200fps ( sp looking up at the sky) When it did my FPS dropped to 50 and stuck there until I with Alt/entered or swung the camera around. Capping the frames to anything under 200 resolved the problem. 

As you switch planes I wonder if the frame rate is jumping briefly. It only needs to be  1 instance and will likely happen to fast for  an FPS counter to register.

Given this is a VR thread I’m assuming powerful pcs and light game settings which, outside of a VR scene, could produce high FPS. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I suspect it is an old bug resurfaced.  With me common mostly in Syria.  Memory is not being released and times 34mb are held by DCS when exiting from the terrain map.

Simple cure but a pain is to reboot DCS and all should be good until you chagr plane / get shot etc.

This helps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap and  https://forums.mudspike.com/t/win10-standby-memory/7801

Alt tab out of DCS run RAMMAP64 and 'empty' standby lists.  A apin I know, but last time this appeared it stayed for many months and RAMMAP is quicker tan 

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

I just had this right now changing from F-16 to MiG-21.

I checked the MSI Afterburner, but both CPU and GPU were pretty low in load - however, in Task Manager I noticed that Steam's VR Compositor took the bulk of the 60% GPU load. Alt+tab didn't fix it. Also, this only happened since yesterday I went through my PC/DCS settings to improve performance using tips at VR4DCS.

(BTW in MiG-21 training missions the RSBN needle didn't work, but that's another problem...)

• 1 month later...

I am new to DCS multi-player. I am experiencing this constantly in DCS multiplayer any time the server resets or if I crash and need to select my role. As soon as the aircraft loads and I am in the cockpit, the lags is severe. It feels like I get 5 fps as I move my head. It seems to always seems to happen when I see the VR loading screen for DCS after being on the server (happens at server reset for example). I have been exiting the game and then restarting but have not tried the alt-tab method. I will try it out and edit this message accordingly.

I have only been flying the F-18. I have a Reverb G2, EVGA 2080Ti card, high end NVMe drive etc.

EDIT: I ran into the issue of severe lag after a server reset and tried the alt-Tab to desktop. When I clicked back to the game window the issue was resolved. Thanks! Hopefully this gets addressed at some point.

Edited by Str][ker
Additional Detail

• 1 month later...

hi guys, 3080ti with i9 10900k and reverb g2. i have a mass8ve fps drop after i play one training mission: the first training mission is perfectly ok then go back to menu select another one and it is a mess...purple lines on the gpu side everywhere( in the first mission all is green and frame time is 10 to 12 ms). if i alt tab sometimes it resets but mostly i have to reboot and play again the training mission i want.