Computer Update Advice

Pod265

Hi,

Please see below my computer specs.

I fly in DCS, P3D and MFS 2020.

I have just bought an Oculus Quest 2 for VR flying and whilst it's ok, it's not great. I would like to know what kind of upgrade I need to improve the cockpit resolution and fluidity of performance short of a new PC with a 3080 card. For instance, what is the max graphics card I could have without my current CPU becoming the bottleneck.

Many thanks

Renzo

computer specs.jpg

I have a 3090 and I'm still GPU bound ... typically ... 

your motherboard/processor/RAM will likely bottleneck any current GPU... 

A lot depends on budget and timeframe, you can buy the best graphics card that you can afford and then upgrade the motherboard and processor and ram in stages ... later think of it as an incremental approach, you wont get full utilisation but you will likely get an improvement

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

These games are mostly GPU bound especially when rendering resolution is 4K and above, but old CPU can also become a GPU bottleneck.  Your PC’s current weakest link is probably the GPU, but if you are serious about VR I suggest upgrading all (GPU, CPU, and 32GB RAM).  A good VR experience especially in DCS or MSFS requires the most powerful PC build that you can afford, there is no other way.

One of my friends uses an RTX 3070 with his Quest 2 and the experience is decent but his CPU is Intel 10700K and with 32GB RAM.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

10 hours ago, Pod265 said:

Hi,

Please see below my computer specs.

I fly in DCS, P3D and MFS 2020.

I have just bought an Oculus Quest 2 for VR flying and whilst it's ok, it's not great. I would like to know what kind of upgrade I need to improve the cockpit resolution and fluidity of performance short of a new PC with a 3080 card. For instance, what is the max graphics card I could have without my current CPU becoming the bottleneck.

Many thanks

Renzo

computer specs.jpg

6GB VRAM and 16GB RAM are your biggest bottleneck.  Both of which are below recommended spec for VR.

Agree with Taz. Get 32GB 3200/3600MHz and whatever GPU you can afford. Wouldn't hurt to overclock the CPU also.

Check link below. You can see that even with my recent upgrade, GPU is still far and away the limiting factor. The CPU overhead is nice to have - it helps to smooth out frame drops, but a faster GPU is always going to help more.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.