Updated Keybinds for FA-18C

In general, the keybinds project is about adding in additional keybinds for controls. "If it's clickable it should be bindable" could be the motto. For some modules, this means adding binds for things like the power switch for the HMCS in the A-10CII. It's clickable, but not bindable to a button by default.

For other modules, like P-51, it's adding in discrete ON and OFF commands for controls that only have a toggle by default. Also useful for the WW2 modules is having different trim speeds available - by default some users find the speeds too fast, or like using a modififer to have fast and slow speeds available. Adding controls into the axis options that were only button by default is another thing.

For the hornet, ED did a good job with the binds, so the main thing these custom binds provide is different speed options for rotaries and such. Example would be rudder trim dial, where there's slow and fast speeds available:

{cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, pressed = ctrl_commands.RudderTrim_EXT, value_pressed = -0.5, name = _('RUD TRIM Control - CCW/Left (Slow)'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('FCS Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, pressed = ctrl_commands.RudderTrim_EXT, value_pressed = 0.5, name = _('RUD TRIM Control - CW/Right (Slow)'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('FCS Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, pressed = ctrl_commands.RudderTrim_EXT, value_pressed = -2, name = _('RUD TRIM Control - CCW/Left (Fast)'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('FCS Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, pressed = ctrl_commands.RudderTrim_EXT, value_pressed = 2, name = _('RUD TRIM Control - CW/Right (Fast)'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('FCS Panel'), _('Custom')}},

Originally the project was collecting useful binds based on what I ran into mapping controls, or useful/common ones from the forums for a few modules (A-10, F-14, Viggen). For the current round of updates that started with Mosquito EA release, it's going through the clickabledata file for each module and comparing it to the commands available in the default joystick and keyboard LUA's to see what can be added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see...

I just realized, since the last update (?) the AAR probe extend/retract switch on the FA-18 works as it should, if mapped to the TM Warthog Throttle EAC switch. Which means if I switch up Warthog switch, in-game probe switch also switches forward and probe comes out, if switch back down, in-game probe switch flips back and probe retracts. Previously I had to cycle WH switch up-down to extend and same for retract.

Interestingly however, if I map my in-game Launch Bar switch to my RDR ALTM on the Warthog throttle, it works, but inverted. If I switch Warthog switch up, in-game Launch bar switch flips down, and if I switch WH down, in-game switch  goes up. Can it be reverted?

• Like 1

Ha, funny you mention the launch bar. I noticed that as well. I did add an inverted "RETRACT else EXTEND" option in the keybinds for that reason. Seemed to work ok when I tested it.

Around line 84-ish:

{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 0, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 1, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch (Toggle)'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 0, value_up = 1, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT else EXTEND (2-way Switch)'), category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},

There's a few commands in the Hornet, and LaunchBarSw is one of them unfortunately, where it's kind of setup halfway as a toggle. Sending a value of 0 does retract it, but then 1 will toggle it instead of being an absolute 'EXTEND'.

So the "RETRACT else EXTEND" isn't totally how I'd want it (same with the other commands you'll see in there with "(Toggle)"... also ideally there could be an absolute "EXTEND" command available separate from the toggle.. but what's possible kind of boils down to what module commands are available in the LUA and how they are wired up to the DLL.

• Like 1

When I click your like it takes me to the lua, pardon my ignorance but how do I use it?.   I have an account, but I don't see anwhere I can download yours or Quaggles files. 

Help the ignorant on how to use these................ please.

Thanks

Hoss

Sempre Fortis

Yeah, sorry, I should include more detail on these update posts. I'll get there eventually 🙂

First step is to get Quaggles mod installed. On it's main page, you should see a 'Releases' section in the sidebar with 1.0.4 as the current latest. That's where you can grab the download, and then the instructions are on the main github page. I use the OVGME method.

https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector

https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector/releases (zip file available there under Assets)

Once you get Quaggles mod going, it'll look for an 'InputCommands' folder in your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder when DCS runs.

If you want all the keybinds project binds across all modules, including the Hornet ones, go to the main keybinds project page on github and click the green 'Code' button, then download zip.

https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds

image.png

That'll have the latest stuff. The 0.6 release doesn't include the Hornet binds. Inside that zip file you'll see an 'InputCommands' folder - put that in your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder...  and that's it. Then in DCS you should see a 'Custom' category that has all the custom keybinds in it from the project (they are also assigned to existing categories too).

If you just want the Hornet binds, then you could use the InputCommands_Skeleton version (or the InputCommands.zip available in Quaggles mod - they are the same blank folder/file structure for all modules). That'll go in your "<user>\Saved Games\DCS" folder named as "InputCommands".

Then go to the link to the LUA I pasted for the FA-18, and click the 'Raw' button at the top-right of the file contents. That should load just the file contents into the browser where you can then do 'Save file as' or easily copy-paste them to get those Hornet binds saved to "Saved Games\DCS\InputCommands\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua". The folder/file structure of "InputCommands" matches that of the DCS install at "DCS\Mods\aircraft", where the Input configuration files are stored for modules.

For just hornet binds, you'll also want to browse to the keyboard version of the file and do similar thing: https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds/blob/main/InputCommands/FA-18C/Input/FA-18C/keyboard/default.lua

Edited by Munkwolf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Razor18 said:

What happens with these .lua modifications (for any modul) whenever there is a new DCS update? Or OvGME solves all your problem (if you deactivate modified .lua before updating, then reactivate the .lua file)?

That's the advantage of using Quaggles mod - the custom binds are stored in your Saved Games folder, so they stick. If the edits were made in the module LUA files, then they would be reset.

So after updates happen, if you are using OVGME for Quaggles mod, you just need to go into OVGME and toggle Quaggles mode off and then on to re-apply it. No need to do anything with the binds, they will still be in your Saved Games folder.

Yeah, it's different there. If you modified the original LUA file and put that in OVGME, then when ED updates keybinds, and you re-apply your modified file, then the updated keybinds from ED would be missing. You'd have to manually update your modified module LUAs after each update to account for updated binds from ED.

Using Quaggles mod in that scenario, when ED updates keybinds, the new keybinds are there in the core game files, and then Quaggles mod layers the custom binds from Saved Games on top of the ED binds. So then you would have the updated binds from ED along with your existing custom binds, with the only action needed being toggling Quaggles mod off/on after the update to re-apply it. If ED adds a bind that is in the keybinds project, then ED's bind will show in game (Quaggles mod doesn't apply custom binds that match existing binds).

• Like 1

19 часов назад, Munkwolf сказал:

Ha, funny you mention the launch bar. I noticed that as well. I did add an inverted "RETRACT else EXTEND" option in the keybinds for that reason. Seemed to work ok when I tested it.

Around line 84-ish:

{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 0, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 1, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch (Toggle)'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},
{cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, value_down = 0, value_up = 1, name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch - RETRACT else EXTEND (2-way Switch)'), category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel'), _('Custom')}},

There's a few commands in the Hornet, and LaunchBarSw is one of them unfortunately, where it's kind of setup halfway as a toggle. Sending a value of 0 does retract it, but then 1 will toggle it instead of being an absolute 'EXTEND'.

So the "RETRACT else EXTEND" isn't totally how I'd want it (same with the other commands you'll see in there with "(Toggle)"... also ideally there could be an absolute "EXTEND" command available separate from the toggle.. but what's possible kind of boils down to what module commands are available in the LUA and how they are wired up to the DLL.

I use value_down = -1.0 for retract it and value_down = 1 to extend, seems it work.

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

1 minute ago, Blackfyre said:

I use value_down = -1.0 for retract it and value_down = 1 to extend, seems it work.

Yeah, likely same result as having 0 and 1 like I use... but that value_down of 1 is really a toggle action. it's just how it's paired with a -1 or 0 does absolutely set it to an 'off' state that allows it to work ok.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have made this work.  I use the down button on the ENG CONT side for my launch bar.  Down is down else up. I have this in the NEW Special input for 2-pos 1-signal switches, line 973 of the default joystick lua.

{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw_EXT,                    up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw_EXT,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,            value_down =  1.0,    value_up =-1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch (special) - EXTEND/RETRACT'),                category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},

I use this for the gear handle (EAC) on my warthog throttle.

{   down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Pos UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

I also made my own SpeedBrake option for the switch on the throttle.  I use a bump feature.  I like to quick engage the brake and let it return so the spring feature is great for this. Here is my default lua I use just for the 18.  I tried quaggles injection mod, it worked for a while now it doesnt show at all so back to what I was doing before

default.lua

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR

• 1 year later...
OK guys what is wrong with answering the question in plain English don’t need no programming language.  just a list of the things that need to be bound to my controllers for the FA-18C

Are you sure you’re responding the the thread you think that you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk