Mission editor

Polar-eX

Hi there, to begin with: DCS is by far the best simulator on PC nowadays. I just bought the F16 and the detail in graphics, physics and systems is mind blowing. On par with PMDG for Prepar 3D. Other than a PMDG Boeing 737, the aircraft and systems in DCS are very though to masterm, which is part of the fun 🙂

Most of the people reading this post are diehard frequently flyers, having all content and create complex mission in a fingersnap. But for starters DCS can be a very harsh environment. And actually i am not talking about the learning curve of the aircrafts but im talking about the mission planner. To actually do anything with the F16 i MUST commit into the mission planner and honestly in my opinion this the the worst part of the game. As good as the arcraft and terrain are, so bad the whole "campaign - mission" planner is. The mission planner feels like a developers tool and honestly i want to fly instead of learning how to use the mission planner to get going. Now you will say: "don't cry, use the mission generator". Well, the mission generator lacks in options to setup the specific needs. Right now i want to learn to fly the F16. So i want to setup a scenario in which im confronted with one (1) oponent in dogfight, only guns, no BVR. And i want it that the oponent apears "somewere" with a 20 miles radius from me so i have to learn to use the radar. But to do that, i need to dive deep into the mission planner. And i have NO clue how to setup such mission. I have watched several you tube videos and they are sooo complex with 20 planes, 10 sams, different sorties, waypoint and stuff. I tried and every click something goes wrong. I dont know how to move my plane...i get a waypoint instead...that kind of basic things which are not logic for starters.  I really hope the mission generator will be changed into more friendly and more customizable program in which you can set all parameters from drop down menu's to create a mission as simple as it can be and as difficult it can be. 

Flaps up

I7-4790K with Corsair H110 / Asus Maximus VII HERO / 2 x 8 GB Corsair Platinum 2400 / Asus GTX980ti / OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB for OS / Corsair ax760i / Corsair Carbide 540 / Samsung EVO 500GB for games

/ CM 690 / Track IR5 / Logitech Extreme 3D / Saitek Proflight yoke, rudder & two USB throttle quadrants / Saitek X55 /

VRinsight TT planel / Thrustmaster T500RS / Samsung SM P2770HD / 1000 cables.....

Try out instant missions. Some have what you want. 

And by the way, the mission editor is one of the most user friendliest I've ever seen/used so far. 

For setting up missions, its very simple. 

Click on the aircraft symbol, then on the map where you want it to be. Select country, type, role, AI or player, location and weapons. 

Then do the same for a different aircraft and you are done (1v1 for example). 

Edited by razo+r

1 hour ago, Polar-eX said:

Right now i want to learn to fly the F16. So i want to setup a scenario in which im confronted with one (1) oponent in dogfight, only guns, no BVR. And i want it that the oponent apears "somewere" with a 20 miles radius from me so i have to learn to use the radar. But to do that, i need to dive deep into the mission planner. And i have NO clue how to setup such mission. I have watched several you tube videos and they are sooo complex with 20 planes, 10 sams, different sorties, waypoint and stuff. I tried and every click something goes wrong. I dont know how to move my plane...i get a waypoint instead...that kind of basic things which are not logic for starters.  I really hope the mission generator will be changed into more friendly and more customizable program in which you can set all parameters from drop down menu's to create a mission as simple as it can be and as difficult it can be. 

Flaps up

I kind of agree with you on the ease of use request, i.e. it'd be nice to get a simpler interface for super simple missions in ME.

However, in my personal opinion, the DCS ME is by far the simplest out of all mission generators I've used. You just need to learn couple of quirks.

Q:  can't move the inserted airplane and instead it adds a waypoint to existing object? 
A:  either click on 'x' in the top right to close the object properties (there's 2 of them, don't click on the main ME 'x')  OR  click on the object icon on the left menu (i.e. plane, helicoper, tank, ship). Essentially close the properties box. The object will change its color from Yellow to Blue or Red (depending on which coalition you chose). After that you can click on object and drag it to move it.

Q: how can I make the airfield service personnel respond to my ground crew commands?
A: you need to change the airfield from Neutral to which ever coalition you want it to be. Click on the AF. The AF properties box will open on the right side. Switch it from Neutral to whichever..

• Like 1

IMHO, the DCS ME is fantastic! I use it for pretty much 100% of my flights. It's as easy to use as you want it to be. I just did a quick test and built "a mission" in 20 seconds flat. I put a plane in the air and a tank to kill on the ground. It's not a complicated scenario, but it shows how fast the basic elements are. Sure, if you want triggers and bells and whistles it goes uphill from there, but the basic layout is solid. Compared to "the other sim's" prehistoric and convoluted ME that forces you to actually leave the game in order to use it, and then to use multiple trigger/timing inputs to do the simplest of things, the DCS ME is lightning fast and convenient, and infinitely more fun to use.

The DCS ME is one of the strongest selling points for me. Every flight is my flight, fast and easy. I think it's great. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

The DCS ME is one of the strongest selling points for me

+1 ... Me too, wonder why I didn't try to learn it sooner ... during my first couple of years as a DCS user I was depending strictly on using other people's missions 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

10 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

+1 ... Me too, wonder why I didn't try to learn it sooner ... during my first couple of years as a DCS user I was depending strictly on using other people's missions 🙂

I think from day-one it was the ME that sealed the DCS deal for me. It perfects the sandbox nature of DCS, which is why I love DCS. I want my plane, on my map, where I want it, in a situation that is fun for me. The ME brings the LEGO goodness to DCS. I appreciate that people build missions and campaigns for others, but there are so few of them I enjoy. That's not a shot at the mission builders, I just like my flights to be my flights.  

I think I'm on year five or six of DCS and I have never flown a campaign mission and I can count how many times I've flown either quick missions or missions built by others. It's all about the ME and the freedom of the flightsim sandbox. And the DCS ME is great in that allows you to make fast and easy flights that have good action and good eye candy.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

@Polar-eX you're confusing Mission Editor with Mission Planner (the one you can totally optionally run before the mission to change some things on your aircraft). I'm sure there are loads of Instant Action missions to use or search for one and download for yourself:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-single/unit-is-f-16c/apply/

You don't have to close any window on the right to move the aircraft or object. Just select Edit mode under the waypoint. If you then want to add a waypoint you just click Add mode.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 9:37 AM, razo+r said:

Try out instant missions. Some have what you want. 

And by the way, the mission editor is one of the most user friendliest I've ever seen/used so far. 

For setting up missions, its very simple. 

Click on the aircraft symbol, then on the map where you want it to be. Select country, type, role, AI or player, location and weapons. 

Then do the same for a different aircraft and you are done (1v1 for example). 

The only real problem I have with the mission editor (other than coming up with my own scenairios) is that nations/nationstate borders and areas aren't clearly marked as I (and I assume other folks) would like them. I can figure out where Isreal is in relation to Syria, Lebanon, etc.......but some of the other maps are a bit more "backwaterish", for lack of a better word. Hard to figure out what real estate belongs to whom........especally with some maps not much more than open flat area. Country labels on the maps would be helpful

Edited by Gunner309