Mig-21 pilot not animated and floats above the ground

okopanja

Just bought the Mig-21 and played instant action free flight.

Early impression: looks like a funny plane to fly.

Off course I ran out of fuel and ejected. 😄

I notice that the model of the pilot is not animated when walking, and it levitates above the ground.
I gather that this can be fixed by updating the code or using existing models with the same textures.

image.png

• Like 1

1 час назад, okopanja сказал:

Just bought the Mig-21 and played instant action free flight.

Early impression: looks like a funny plane to fly.

Off course I ran out of fuel and ejected. 😄

I notice that the model of the pilot is not animated when walking, and it levitates above the ground.
I gather that this can be fixed by updating the code or using existing models with the same textures.

Probably a Chinese spy: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/floating-chinese-government-officials

• Like 1

I recall it was reported years ago already but there's nothing wrong in bumping the issue up a bit.

Just keep in mind it's a 7-year old module on rock bottom of fixing priority list and with M3 devs being very busy with new projects, such cosmetic bugs are unlikely to be solved soon, if ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:18 AM, Art-J said:

I recall it was reported years ago already but there's nothing wrong in bumping the issue up a bit.

Just keep in mind it's a 7-year old module on rock bottom of fixing priority list and with M3 devs being very busy with new projects, such cosmetic bugs are unlikely to be solved soon, if ever.

True. But 21 is getting rather consistent fixes and updates as a part of v.2 overhaul, so I wouldn't rule that one out. I guess it will take time, though. 

• Like 1

The support cycle it has received is nice when you consider how small the team is. 

Truth be told, there's no bug here; MiG-21 pilots are all ascended forms of humanity. They float instead of walking like Baron Harkonnen but less corpulent and less everything else about Baron Harkonnen.

• Like 5

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

15 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

The support cycle it has received is nice when you consider how small the team is. 

Truth be told, there's no bug here; MiG-21 pilots are all ascended forms of humanity. They float instead of walking like Baron Harkonnen but less corpulent and less everything else about Baron Harkonnen.

That is why I am not overly concerned with bugs in this module - almost every changelog for open beta contains some fix or part of the upgrade. Yet, since they are working on the next thing, it will take some time.

So... basically like a Sting in first Dune? Now we need mod that will replace 21's pilot model with jacked, oily Sting in armoured underwear and using suspensors. World will be a better place with this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairey Gannet said:

So... basically like a Sting in first Dune? Now we need mod that will replace 21's pilot model with jacked, oily Sting in armoured underwear and using suspensors. World will be a better place with this. 

Exactly. 

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

9 minutes ago, Fairey Gannet said:

Maybe devs could make official tickbox in special options tab: "Realistic Sting pilot fix".

it deffo needs to be optional IMHO, espeically if it come with his post police jazzy soundtracks... maybe an option for "experimental Sting fixes".

I could see such crashing my rig, well, I mean I could myself smashing my rig if it wasnt..

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

54 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

it deffo needs to be optional IMHO, espeically if it come with his post police jazzy soundtracks... maybe an option for "experimental Sting fixes".

I could see such crashing my rig, well, I mean I could myself smashing my rig if it wasnt..

I dig your solution. "Experimental Harkonnen Sting pilot fix" is a way to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It appears the bug report has been deleted in mantis, or they have reverted their database to the backup. They recently claimed the failure of the disk...

Hi@Rudel_chw,

Sorry for calling out like this, but I hope you can perhaps provide more info:

I did create the issue on December 2nd 2021 and posted a link here. Can you confirm why it disappeared? https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=1161

See my first comment what was this about:

- pilot not animated

- pilot "standing" above the ground

26 minutes ago, okopanja said:

you probably meant @-Rudel- 🙂

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 12/7/2021 at 12:08 PM, okopanja said:

I did not post to make jokes about it, but bugs like this means the module is not in perfect sync with the rest of the DCS.

First. I apologise for OT posting in the thread. 

The pilot appears to as animated as any other jet jockey once he's without said ride. The limited animation is pretty much on par with ED's own in the F18 and A10C I just looked at. Although there is a small increase in the refinement of movement as he gets up on the latest ED modules it is very minor. I cant recall any ejected pilot doing anything different in DCS (but I never really have bothered to watch).  

The only difference I see is that the MiG pilot isnt grounded when he stands up. Yes it is a bug but not one most of us would die in a ditch over. Is it realy as immersion breaking as the pilot standing bolt upright and motionless like a statue in the first place?  Place the pilot square on the ground and what do you have? A static lump doing nothing but staring into space for a few minutes before going "poof".  But 6 scale inches lower than now.  M3 were working on a new pilot for the MiG, I dunno if that is still a thing as its very very very low down on my own list of priorites. Perhaps that may bring some changes.

You will have you own views (clearly) but I really dont think its a good use of a small developers time to have to explain in detail their reasoning in removing a bug report about a minor issue. If that is indeed what they have done.   

You may, of course disagree, which is right and proper. 

I post as a counterpoint. 

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

4 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

You will have you own views (clearly) but I really dont think its a good use of a small developers time to have to explain in detail their reasoning in removing a bug report about a minor issue. If that is indeed what they have done.   

You may, of course disagree, which is right and proper. 

I post as a counterpoint. 

Hi, I do not mind your posting or reasoning. IMHO: we should report each and every bug, and it is up to the developers to prioritize and fix the most important ones.

If we do not report it this will never be fixed.

Also note that number of open bugs is also a measure of quality of the module.

It's not our bug to begin with.  The 21 still uses ED's pilot.

While we have a new pilot that's ours, it is not ready to use.

As for your ticket on the Mantis board,  it's a duplicate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD