Project Lancaster

This is going to rival the UH-60 and A-4.  Really looking forward to flying this with my buddies.  With the amount of work you are putting into it, you should go full 3rd party.  This would be a massive seller!  And it would open up tools you currently are restricted from not being a 3rd party dev.  Wish you guys the best and really looking forward to this mod.

• Like 3

Folks, I'm blown away! Need coffee? Beer (non-alcoholic until version 1.0)? PLEASE go on with that project, that's beyond anything I could have imagined for DCS. :clap:

Edited by Retnek
typo - as usual
  • Like 1

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

Looking forward to the Lancaster…

I read with interest that each crew station is being looked at and modelled - but that begs the question of whether it can be flown in single player with AI crew to “fight” the aircraft…??

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, Tvrdi said:

Great news, but....Why not B17 to fit into current planeset in Normandy map? Or any other bomber from that timescale and battle.

interesting… 

would like a flyable Fortress, but more than enough room for an RAF “heavy”

An extended family member was RAF Bomber Command aircrew, a large part of the inspiration for my life long aviation interest and subject for a lot of my recent reading / research.

In trying to find out more about his squadrons and operations (the family seemed to know nothing 😕), I have recently read Murray Peden’s excellent “A Thousand Shall Fall”.  

Peden flew in the same squadron, at the same time and on many of the same Ops.

One of the really interesting insights is that the 214 Sqn crews were some of the very few that were able to make valid comparisons between the RAF heavies and the B-17…

they seemed to regard the Fortress as a much lighter aircraft, with four far less powerful engines and much lower take off weight / payload 

But, on the plus side, the much higher ceiling allowed the Fortress to fly above the main bomber stream, depending on operational requirements, and the 0.5” 50 cals were much more effective than the normal RAF .303s

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, rkk01 said:

Looking forward to the Lancaster…

I read with interest that each crew station is being looked at and modelled - but that begs the question of whether it can be flown in single player with AI crew to “fight” the aircraft…??

The plan is for it to be able to work in both single player and multiplayer, How plausible that is depends if we attempt 3rd part and what we can figure out in terms of AI and multicrew

• Thanks 1

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

On 12/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, Tvrdi said:

Great news, but....Why not B17 to fit into current planeset in Normandy map? Or any other bomber from that timescale and battle.

I just found out about this project and just by reading the first post on this thread I could already tell it was a passion project. That there sir is the main reason why anyone would be motivated to the extent to go through all the work needed to bring their passion to fruition. As matter a fact the Christen Eagle, F/A-18, Typhoon and OH-58 are also passion projects.

Screen_220301_150231.png

Work in progress on the navigator's station, Modelled by Moonchild. At the moment it is all in a white material as we are finalising the modelling before proceeding with textures but progress is looking good!

Screen_220301_150347.png

Screen_220301_150258.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

• 2 weeks later...