Workarounds for the HTS?

Gianky

Hey guys!

As we all know, this first implementation of the HTS is not working as advertised; a fix is on the way, but we don't have an ETA, yet, so I'm wondering: has anyone found a workaround to use the pod as more than an evolved RWR or a single use sensor?

We didn’t get the SEAD page on the DED, or any details in the Viper manual. Beyond that, I’ve been enjoying it as I’m able to do more of the Wild Weasel mission.

• Like 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

SteelFalcon, CypherBlu, thanks for pointing out what I was referring to, I've seen many threads around this subforum and the Bugs one about it, maybe it's just because I had experienced that issue and was looking for solutions.

5 hours ago, AlexCaboose said:

Recycle pylon power.

I'm guessing you mean turning the left hardpoint off and on again? I'll try that as soon as I can.

I noticed this one the first HARM shot I took with the HTS.  So I've been SAM hunting with GBU-38s; my hopeful workaround is to select the threat with the major and minor ellipse are small enough, and then immediately TMS down and rely on a TGP search.

Another buggy thing I discovered while doing this is 95% of the time, the TGP remains slewed to where it went when I TMS up and TMS down on a radar.....but once in a while it slews back to the selected steerpoint. 

I may have found a temporary solution for this HTS problem, but I haven't done enough testing to confirm or not. If others want to test this is what I noticed:
At the beginning I used the HTS, never had a bug, then suddenly on a mission I always had it... the HTS lost the lock and then impossible to relock. And it was only specific to one mission... so I asked myself what was different from the other missions where I had no problems, and I noticed this:
The first tests I did, I had not edited my missions to put the HTS pod in my payloads directly in the mission editors. I was mounting the HTS at the beginning of the mission via the radio groundcrew menu.
On these first missions my targets for the HTS were very close to my starting point, barely 10 min of flight to get in range.
The mission where the HTS was bugging was a mission where I put the HTS directly in my paylaod in the mission editor, and I turned it on directly after takeoff, but the targets were already further away (almost 20 min flight time before being on target). So I tried it again by setting the HTS at the beginning of the mission (via radio groundcrew menu), and I turned on the HTS about 5 min before arriving on target. And there no probs.... I retested already 4 or 5 times with this method, and to see more probs, but it was perhaps a stroke of luck... so if some want to test to confirm or not if it could be a solution in the meantime... so to summarize;
Mount the HTS pod at the beginning of the mission via the grondcrew radio menu then only turn it on right before you have to use it.

Good day to all

41 minutes ago, The RDN said:

I may have found a temporary solution for this HTS problem, but I haven't done enough testing to confirm or not. If others want to test this is what I noticed:
At the beginning I used the HTS, never had a bug, then suddenly on a mission I always had it... the HTS lost the lock and then impossible to relock. And it was only specific to one mission... so I asked myself what was different from the other missions where I had no problems, and I noticed this:
The first tests I did, I had not edited my missions to put the HTS pod in my payloads directly in the mission editors. I was mounting the HTS at the beginning of the mission via the radio groundcrew menu.
On these first missions my targets for the HTS were very close to my starting point, barely 10 min of flight to get in range.
The mission where the HTS was bugging was a mission where I put the HTS directly in my paylaod in the mission editor, and I turned it on directly after takeoff, but the targets were already further away (almost 20 min flight time before being on target). So I tried it again by setting the HTS at the beginning of the mission (via radio groundcrew menu), and I turned on the HTS about 5 min before arriving on target. And there no probs.... I retested already 4 or 5 times with this method, and to see more probs, but it was perhaps a stroke of luck... so if some want to test to confirm or not if it could be a solution in the meantime... so to summarize;
Mount the HTS pod at the beginning of the mission via the grondcrew radio menu then only turn it on right before you have to use it.

Good day to all

Hi.

Thanks for the tip. Will test it later.

Saludos.

Saca111

Ok, I just tried what The RDN suggested and it worked, at least this one time. I loaded the airplane on the tarmac via F8 menu, didn't turn the HTS on (I did a cold start), took off and let 20 minutes pass from take off (I used a training mission I made in Caucasus, SAM sites are all at less than 20 minutes of flying). At that point I headed for the SAMs and turned the HTS on when I was about 40 miles away. Everything worked fine, I could lock emitters and unlock them, shoot more than one HARM and go back and forth from the HTS to the TGP, that wasn't stuck, but could be steered around. Only thing I noticed is that when the HTS lose lock on the emitter because it passes the 3-9 line, the TGP revert to the steerpoint, even if I have a commanded a point track.

Well, I'll try it again in other mission, maybe in some campaign, let's hope it works until we have a patch.