VR zoom...

markturner1960

Hi, how does the VR zoom work within DCS? I was expecting that like zooming in on anything, you end up looking at the same pixels, from closer, so if anything, the detail should be less clear, but larger? However, in VR zooming in, I find that its really much clearer and a way better picture than zoomed out.....so why is that? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Thanks, but you misunderstood my question, I know how to bind it and have it working and set up properly....I wanted to know why the VR image was so much much clearer and better when zoomed in. For example, if you zoom in on a digital picture, the more you zoom, the more pixellated it gets....why does the view in VR not behave like this, after all its the same principle, a set number of pixels being generated to fill the view....?   

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Please note the binding is in the UI section of Control.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

To me, the zoom is more like using binoculars or a small telescope.

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

9 minutes ago, Dunx said:

To me, the zoom is more like using binoculars or a small telescope.

Probably why the second level of VR Zoom is referred to as "Spyglass Zoom".

:smilewink:

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

38 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks, but you misunderstood my question, I know how to bind it and have it working and set up properly....I wanted to know why the VR image was so much much clearer and better when zoomed in. For example, if you zoom in on a digital picture, the more you zoom, the more pixellated it gets....why does the view in VR not behave like this, after all its the same principle, a set number of pixels being generated to fill the view....?   

Not really same principle. When you zoom in DCS, it's not 'enlarging' from the rendered unzoomed view like zooming in on a digital picture. It's setting new camera parameters for the renderer, which is refreshing every frame. Better analogy might be zooming in on a vector image (ex: google maps) - it doesn't matter how far you zoom, because the source data only becomes 'pixelized' when it's time to draw it to the display.

Edited by Munkwolf

the zoom only deals with a faction of the visual field and therefore less demanding it is to render it. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

2 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

Not really same principle. When you zoom in DCS, it's not 'enlarging' from the rendered unzoomed view like zooming in on a digital picture. It's setting new camera parameters for the renderer, which is refreshing every frame. Better analogy might be zooming in on a vector image (ex: google maps) - it doesn't matter how far you zoom, because the source data only becomes 'pixelized' when it's time to draw it to the display.

Actually, VR zoom in DCS is like zooming in on a digital picture.  The perspective doesn't change.  Pause, look at a distant tree in relation to your cockpit frame.  Then do VR zoom, the aspect between the tree and your cockpit frame doesn't change with VR zoom.  But if you move your head forward and back, you'll see that the aspect between the two will change.

Using "Zoom" on a camera or binocular is like moving your head forward.  Then why is DCS like this?  I don't think it's to save render resource as @DerekSpeare said.  It doesn't use any more resource enlarging vs changing camera focal length.  I think they did it this way because it's simpler to implement.

To OP, why doesn't it get blurry?  VR Zoom is "supposed to" simulate looking through binocular.  You'll notice that it not only enlarges picture but increases view distance.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Actually, VR zoom in DCS is like zooming in on a digital picture.  The perspective doesn't change.  Pause, look at a distant tree in relation to your cockpit frame.  Then do VR zoom, the aspect between the tree and your cockpit frame doesn't change with VR zoom.  But if you move your head forward and back, you'll see that the aspect between the two will change.

Using "Zoom" on a camera or binocular is like moving your head forward.  Then why is DCS like this?  I don't think it's to save render resource as @DerekSpeare said.  It doesn't use any more resource enlarging vs changing camera focal length.  I think they did it this way because it's simpler to implement.

To OP, why doesn't it get blurry?  VR Zoom is "supposed to" simulate looking through binocular.  You'll notice that it not only enlarges picture but increases view distance.

My main point was the vector vs raster part. As in, it's not just scaling up the unzoomed frame where it would become pixelated like zooming a digital picture. It's re-rendering it with different camera settings, where there is no pixelation, a la zooming in google maps.

I do wish they'd upgrade how they do the zoom so it doesn't flatten the image like you are discussing.

Edited by Munkwolf

DCS simulates an optical zoom and so would not pixelate the image.

There is a nasty problem with distortion when moving your head though.

EDIT: nasty = nausea inducing

Edited by Dunx

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52