DCS Performance with VR - What is truely needed?

lardo5150

Have not played in 10 years.

I was looking to get back into it, but with VR.

I read how great it is, but also hear that you need a massive machine to get it to work right.

What is truely needed to run DCS in VR?

How does it look with just an average system?

The other thing that is holding me back, is the cost of everything today.

I would say a lot will depend on the headset you are using a Reverb G2 will need more processing power than say a rift-s  to operate it at its native resolution... even then VR will stress the most heavily specified system today. that said i got hooked on VR with a 1070ti & 6600k with 32gb of ram , ssd and an oddessy+ ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Also a lot depends on what you plan to use DCS for. Some of the lighter weight single player missions run pretty well, especially on the Caucasus map. More complex single player missions and some of the newer maps can struggle with VR, multiplayer with lots of assets likewise.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

20 hours ago, lardo5150 said:

Is it possible to play with no issues, on all high settings?

Or even with the beefy system, you still have to play on low settings?

I would be using the Oculus quest 2

Even with a 3090 you’re going to need compromise on some of the visual settings.

Hopefully, the incoming of Vulkan, multi core support and potentially foveated rendering will help.

Edited by Mr_sukebe
  • Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

There is no computer hardware available to let DCS run in VR with everything set to anything near maximum; it just doesn't exist. 

I have a 11700k at ~5 with a 1080ti and Reverb and the best I get with decent visuals is with nearly everything turned down and certainly no campaign or too many objects.  Keep your expectations low...but it's worth it for the experience alone.  ED has a massive amount of work to do so that DCS can reach its full potential for VR use, though I'm not hopeful they will work at that. 

NB:  if the blessed day ever comes to let me get a 3080ti, i may be able to turn a few things up a click order...maybe. 

Edited by DerekSpeare
  • Like 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

There is no computer hardware available to let DCS run in VR with everything set to anything near maximum; it just doesn't exist. 
I have a 11700k at ~5 with a 1080ti and Reverb and the best I get with decent visuals is with nearly everything turned down and certainly no campaign or too many objects.  Keep your expectations low...but it's worth it for the experience alone.  ED has a massive amount of work to do so that DCS can reach its full potential for VR use, though I'm not hopeful they will work at that. 
NB:  if the blessed day ever comes to let me get a 3080ti, i may be able to turn a few things up a click order...maybe. 

My system is quite close to that although I do have a 3090 and nvme drives. I can run *some* maps and missions with the “high” graphics preset with shadows to flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My system hasn't changed much for about 5 years.  Still on GTX 1080 (non Ti).  But my VR image quality and performance has improved greatly in last year through mods, SteamVR improvements, post process filters, and NIS.

I actually don't feel the urgency to upgrade my GPU currently.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat system wise.
I use 3 settings, high for offline 2D play (trial and test runs, learning stuff), a below high setting for online 2D play (but on some servers this setting is to high, even when i'm alone on it as a single player) and a medium to low setting for everything VR. It's just the steps back i need to take to get a smooth (as possible) experience.
Expect also a lot more shimmering, certainly around clouds.
But... even on this lower setting and the extra shimmer, VR is just amazing.
Just don't set your expectations to high and you're in for a threat.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 things are needed  Patience is first and a really good system..

• Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I have the Reverb G2 and a 3080. Running on mostly high settings, full resolution, MSAA 2X and PD of 100% I get roughly 50-70fps on offline caucasus, which to me offers the best compromise of quality and smoothness. I'm very happy now that I didn't settle for a lower GPU (I wasn't planning on getting into VR when I bought it).

• Like 1

Hornet | Viper | Warthog | Apache | Huey | FC3 | Mustang
5800X | RTX3080 | X-56 | Reverb G2

Half year back with version 2.6.4 I ran DCS at 100% res with almost highest setting with Reverb G2 and it was fluid as honey. Now it is kinda screwed performance wise and I had to tone down MSAA to zero and ground shadows to flat and still it is not as good as before. We have new clouds and far better water, but anyway..

5600x, 3070, 32GB ram

15 hours ago, Rav said:

I have the Reverb G2 and a 3080. Running on mostly high settings, full resolution, MSAA 2X and PD of 100% I get roughly 50-70fps on offline caucasus, which to me offers the best compromise of quality and smoothness. I'm very happy now that I didn't settle for a lower GPU (I wasn't planning on getting into VR when I bought it).

Wow, check my PC specs, I am currently using a VP2 and getting about 40 FPS in the same scenario......thats 80% app specific SS and 100% global. Gives me approx 20 MS GPU frametime

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

DCS and VR does bring memories back like the good old question: "But can it run Crysis?". The situation is very similar. You can throw top high end hardware at it and get a variety of results. But good hardware means not just one high end component, it means a combination of all components. A bad example is trying to run a high-end, high resolution VR HMD with a high-end GPU and low-end CPU. Or a high resolution VR HMD with a mid-end GPU and a mid-end CPU. This might be enough for a singleplayer session. But for a full blown MP experience, let's say 40+ players and a huge battlefield other components are also important, like more than 32GB RAM and a HEDT motherboard + CPU with a quad channel RAM controller plus a RTX 3090 with 24GB VRAM. In these scenarios DCS will use everything it can get, because it has to move huge chunks of data through your system (SSD to RAM to VRAM, everything managed by the CPU). Maybe this changes with the next version of DCS's engine (Vulkan/DX12 and better multi core support).
Quad channel architecture is often ignored by gamers, but i see the difference with my 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 package that easily manages 96150 MB/s since a couple of years while even the latest DDR5 memory and gaming mainboard still struggle to get there or do not even reach 60% of what a DDR4 quad channel system can deliver.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I demand high settings and clarity. My i7-9700K and a 2080 Super was not cutting it for my G2. What was needed for me was a new rig i9-10900KF - DCS on a M.2 NVMe and a RTX3090 w/64gb of Ram and Speed of Heats guide. 

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I demand high settings and clarity. My i7-9700K and a 2080 Super was not cutting it for my G2. What was needed for me was a new rig i9-10900KF - DCS on a M.2 NVMe and a RTX3090 w/64gb of Ram and Speed of Heats guide. 

:thumbup:

Sweet!

I am holding off one more year on a new build.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also you Don helped me when I first got my  G2 first VR ever and I was soo so lost excited but lost.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Wow, check my PC specs, I am currently using a VP2 and getting about 40 FPS in the same scenario......thats 80% app specific SS and 100% global. Gives me approx 20 MS GPU frametime

I did some more test and have a correction to make: I get around 45fps down in the weeds and 55-60 up high.

Hornet | Viper | Warthog | Apache | Huey | FC3 | Mustang
5800X | RTX3080 | X-56 | Reverb G2

On 12/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, DerekSpeare said:

Yes ... the 1080Ti is the weak link there...

Worth mentioning: Matt has recently said that there is a massive focus on VR and in particular optimising for mid systems ... it means going through all the shaders - amongst other things - and that takes time. But be under no illusion VR is a huge focus for ED - and so it should be.

• Like 2

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

On 12/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, Baldrick33 said:

Also a lot depends on what you plan to use DCS for. Some of the lighter weight single player missions run pretty well, especially on the Caucasus map. More complex single player missions and some of the newer maps can struggle with VR, multiplayer with lots of assets likewise.

This can´t be stated enough. It´s not about the machine, but the mission. I fly with 80fps single player Bombing range mission on Marianas, and then struggle with same settings, at 27fps when starting up my Viper for a 4 user Op Liberation mission at the Gulf.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

4 hours ago, C3PO said:

Yes ... the 1080Ti is the weak link there...

Worth mentioning: Matt has recently said that there is a massive focus on VR and in particular optimising for mid systems ... it means going through all the shaders - amongst other things - and that takes time. But be under no illusion VR is a huge focus for ED - and so it should be.

lol...yes...if only I didn't have to sell a kidney to get a 3080ti...maybe when 2024 rolls around I can get one 😞  It would be good for ED to look at optimizing DCS for VR.  Perhaps there are things going on in VR that the flat screeners never encounter and that can be optimized to make VR perform the way it should. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

1 hour ago, DerekSpeare said:

lol...yes...if only I didn't have to sell a kidney to get a 3080ti...maybe when 2024 rolls around I can get one 😞  It would be good for ED to look at optimizing DCS for VR.  Perhaps there are things going on in VR that the flat screeners never encounter and that can be optimized to make VR perform the way it should. 

The more of the user base that buys into VR the more attention these game devs will give to it. Undoubtedly they know exactly what percentage of their user base uses VR.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|