Can someone help me understand how to get heavy AA guns to actually fire at me?

Tree_Beard

My flight goes right past them and the cannons will wake up and follow the planes but never fire a shell. I have set the min-max altitude band so that my flight goes right through it. I have also tried setting alarm state red, weapons free, engage air weapons, maximum intercept distance, and combinations of all those options too. Nothing works. The guns don't fire. The guns are QF 3.7" if that helps and I want them to fire at passing Ju88 bombers. 

Does anyone know what the problem is? 

On 12/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, Tree_Beard said:

My flight goes right past them and the cannons will wake up and follow the planes but never fire a shell. I have set the min-max altitude band so that my flight goes right through it. I have also tried setting alarm state red, weapons free, engage air weapons, maximum intercept distance, and combinations of all those options too. Nothing works. The guns don't fire. The guns are QF 3.7" if that helps and I want them to fire at passing Ju88 bombers. 

Does anyone know what the problem is? 

I think after a recent update you now need to place the KdO40 near your flak batteries in order for them to fire......the KdO 40 is a fire director/radar range finder and is also found within the WW2 Assets pack with the Flak guns.

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

The OP raises a bit of an interesting point.  The KD40 might well be required for the Luftwaffe heavy flak.

QF3.7 is a British heavy flak gun.  What do we use for that?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

The OP raises a bit of an interesting point.  The KD40 might well be required for the Luftwaffe heavy flak.

QF3.7 is a British heavy flak gun.  What do we use for that?

My apologies,of course they are,yes the KdO 40 works a treat with the German Flak guns......I don't think we have a British height/range finder or a predictor created to date......I know this is not very realistic but you could just make the KdO 40 an allied range finder by switching the country it belongs too ? 

EDIT: No this does not work,the British guns require their own predictor.

In essence what we need created is a Vickers No. 1 Mark III Predictor that was used with the QF 3.7,one of these.

EswgsUD.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Gents, might be worth pushing this to the Bugs section to ensure that it's registered and acknowledged as such by ED.

Agreed......in the mean time I had some time free this afternoon to just confirm if the guns are working correctly,the guns do work,I had 4 x Ju88's flying in at an altitude of 2000 meters/6561.68 feet and in trail formation.

However,whilst the  British guns do fire at oncoming Axis aircraft without any height/range finder or predictor being linked to them,the consistency of their firing is not great,certainly not as good as the German Flak with the KdO 40 linked to them.The British guns set up is also not very realistic on their own,they most certainly would have a predictor linked to them and would also require a height range finder to ascertain the target altitude.So in short we need a predictor created please ED......and a height finder would be nice too please.(I have now included this as a bug,although it's an absent piece of equipment vital to the British QF3.7 AA guns rather than a bug).

Here my group of six QF 3.7 AA guns fire simultaneously  at 4 oncoming Ju88's about to fly over the guns at about 2000 metres altitude.

yjlODGu.png

@mmarques No a radar will not work it only indicates where the threat is,a height/range finder works out the target aircraft height whilst a predictor is linked into the guns and will get the guns to fire and explode at the correct altitude whilst correcting the appropriate trajectory.

Think of using a shot gun with clay pigeons,if you just shoot at the clay pigeon target by the time the shot has reached the target the target will have moved on,so you have to shoot ahead of the target,basically the height/range predictor works this calculation out and gets the guns to fire so the shells hit the target.

These two videos explain everything far better than I can.

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 2