How do the different variants of the Mig-29 differ and which one is most used by DCS flyers?

sobe

How do the different variants of the Mig-29 differ and which one is most used by DCS flyers?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

MiG-29A = basic variant
MiG-29G = MiG-29A but with german livery and imperial units instead of metric
MiG-29S = Able to carry R-77 fox 3 missiles, inbuilt ECM suit, improved flight controll systems allowing you to pull 2° aoa more and slightly more fuel (120kg round about)

MiG-29A is more used for dogfights because its lighter and more manoeuvrable. For everthing else the S is used more.

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

My skins

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My preference is the G since my brain works best in kts/ft, particularly when I'm flying with buddies who are in Western aircraft as well. I haven't found the R-77 to be particularly useful so I never fly the S; My R-27ER/ET seems to always outrange the R-77 in my experience.

Edited by Nealius

• 8 months later...
Am 5.12.2021 um 00:46 schrieb Mike_Romeo:

MiG-29A = basic variant
MiG-29G = MiG-29A but with german livery and imperial units instead of metric
MiG-29S = Able to carry R-77 fox 3 missiles, inbuilt ECM suit, improved flight controll systems allowing you to pull 2° aoa more and slightly more fuel (120kg round about)

MiG-29A is more used for dogfights because its lighter and more manoeuvrable. For everthing else the S is used more.

Means ECM is only availible in the S Version ?

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 7:16 AM, JG11Preusse said:

Means ECM is only availible in the S Version ?

The Iraqi’s played around with putting French EXM on their Fulcrums but I’m not sure how well it worked out for them.