Love Letter to the NS430

Mordant

Without this being an elaborate copypasta, I do want to express my joy and gratitude for this module.

I have surprisingly had a lot of good times doing logistics stuff and other various doodads in the Mi-8/L-39. I have had overall a way better experience than 95% of the community say it was for them. This box is such a seamless(maybe not for the L-39, but for everything else it's been wonderful) transition. I can't remember if it has a 3D model for the Christen Eagle but if it doesn't, it probably should have one. The Christen Eagle is literally the best use case and the best fit for the NS430 in target aircraft and general need(apart from helos). 

Lets talk about the weird and wacky situations this damn box has saved me from. Through the thick and thin, my trusty NS430 has given me one of gods gifts I call the "Pink Line of Not Dying", for those special moments where I need to get the hell outta dodge and get home safely. I remember being socked in with fog above me, the mountains below me, and a Mistral Gazelle behind me with a thirst for some Hip(Mi-8, not the human hip). With the fog above me obscuring the tops of the clouds, I trusted in the Terrain Avoidance page and threw myself into the white abyss. Sure enough, I got just above the clouds while the Mistral shook his fist as I slipped away. I used my trusty pink line to travel back to base as quick as possible to get my soiled undergarments cleaned at the local Sochi dry cleaners. 

I especially want to say that it has been one of the best modules I have ever bought! Especially for those aircraft that don't have an INS/GPS solution, this is an invaluable resource. Even with the Gazelle's NADIR navigation system, I still find myself using the NS430 to get a visual cue and graphical indication of where I am and where I'm going. I still dream of the NS430 being able to control the radio freqs on some aircraft like FC3 where you have to adjust the freq through SRS.

In conclusion, the NS430 is a god amongst us mere mortals. It is way better IMO than it gets credit, and it is one of my cockpit mainstays in most FC3 and helicopter aircraft in DCS. Thank you for listening to this, and if you were on the fence about the NS430 I hope this persuades you into the world of wonders the NS430 provides.

I now self proclaim myself a member of the Pink Line of Not Dying Club :D

Smooth Skies,

Mordant

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

Sorely tempted to add this to the Hip but the units seems to blend rather badly into the cockpits and looks "stuck on".  Minor point given all the fuctionality. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

10 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Sorely tempted to add this to the Hip but the units seems to blend rather badly into the cockpits and looks "stuck on".  Minor point given all the fuctionality. 

I personally think it looks fine, but I do understand your hesitation. All I will say is that I definitely prefer it over a rectangle blocking an eighth of my screen all the time 😄

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

23 minutes ago, Mordant said:

I personally think it looks fine, but I do understand your hesitation. All I will say is that I definitely prefer it over a rectangle blocking an eighth of my screen all the time 😄

For tenner or thereabouts you may have pursuaded me!

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

hmm - looks ok in Devrim's Black cockpit. Time to close in that weather in and trust in pink!

@Mordant thanks for the push buddy!

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

hmm - looks ok in Devrim's Black cockpit. Time to close in that weather in and trust in pink!

@Mordant thanks for the push buddy!

Sure thing! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, Boosterdog said:

Seen enough of them looking damn out of place in real life too on various kinds of machinery, doesn't bother me anymore thankfully. 😃

I like it and have used it for a long time.  Would be good if ED could finally sort out the overly sensitive rotary knobs.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

11 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

There is a mod (I know ED has to solve this) wich help 😉

Tried that, didn't work for me.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Ah ha.  Yeah, that could be it.  I'll try it again.  Thanks.