F8 Bearcat in the works

Devil 505

This was some really surprising news to me.  I was looking at the Lancaster mod discord and notice the Virtual Horsemen are making a F8 Bearcat mod full cockpit, EFM, systems ect.  Below is a picture of the cockpit so far from their Facebook account.  Looking really sharp.  Going to be a nice asset for the Marianas.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great airplane, and it will be fun to fly. But you do realize that it never saw combat over the Marianas...right? As a matter of fact, it never saw combat at all with American forces. It came out too late to see service with the U.S. Navy, during WW2. 

• Like 1

The French used it in Vietnam quite a bit. I've seen videos of the Marianas used as Vietnam. Imagination, and adaptation are keys to getting the most out of a very good but limited sim.  :poster_oops2:An A1-D Skyraider, F9F Panther would be nice to go along with the Corsair, with an Essex class Carrier thrown in. The developers will make what they want, without a collective effort to make an authentic Order of Battle for a theater (ETO, PTO) we will just have do what Gunny Highway said and adapt and overcome, with what we have. LOMAC should still be the name of this game.

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

In my DCS virtual world, it's gonna be hammer time with the Bearcat!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

For those who asked, I have no clue on when it will be released.  I only saw it on the Lancaster Mod discord and then went to their Facebook.  Beyond the screen shot and the Virtual Horsemen stating they are making it, that is all I know.  Minus the 2 retards who posted they dont care about this, I figured those who like the Bearcat would enjoy knowing someone is putting some time into making one, be it a mod or full module.  I am familiar with the fact it did not serve during the war, but none the less, would still look good in the Marianas, given the fact we do not have a Korean map.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Minus the 2 retards who posted they dont care about this

Sorry - complete mis-read there… an no need to be rude 

(understandable given my brevity…)

”me neither” was me “not caring” about the prior comment regarding the Bearcat never seeing action over Marianas or with US forces / WW2 in general

”I don’t care” as I fully agree with ED’s stated position - DCS is a flight simulator, bringing interesting aircraft to the world of combat flight simming.

If Caucasus or Channel, or NTTR were the only maps, I’d still want the Bearcat…

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Minus the 2 retards who posted they dont care about this

Pretty sure there isnt a single post so far that says that. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

30 minutes ago, FlyBy2507 said:

Really ?
Aren't you shocked by the inconsistent WW2 planeset?

Concerned at most, but this will not degrade my will to buy ww2 modules for DCS

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

WW2 was 6 years (ok, less for some 😉) of constant evolution, development and obsolescence - and in an era with multiple design and construction organisations for each combatant nation…

It is completely inconceivable that a coherent plane set could be achieved, unless limited to one theatre at one very limited period.

Better to embrace the ED philosophy of study level sim for interesting aircraft

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkk01 said:

WW2 was 6 years (ok, less for some 😉) of constant evolution, development and obsolescence - and in an era with multiple design and construction organisations for each combatant nation…

It is completely inconceivable that a coherent plane set could be achieved, unless limited to one theatre at one very limited period.

Better to embrace the ED philosophy of study level sim for interesting aircraft

I understand your point of view and respect it.

(sarcasm)but then they need change the name, for WW2 era, as DFS and disarm the planes.(/sarcasm)

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

Concerned at most, but this will not degrade my will to buy ww2 modules for DCS

Got it.

Fly safe.

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

Graphics part is relatively simple. Plenty of skilled 3D and texture artists in the community. Now, coding part is where the real difficulty begins. That screen was posted in March, but no news since then it seems, so... whether it actually gets released or joins numerous similar projects which got forever stuck in modelling phase and abandoned, remains to be seen.

Nothing wrong in having it in DCS, though. The sim is much better in just flying than combat anyway, at least for those of us who don't care about modern aircraft. Better and cheaper even than MSFS in this regard, so why not?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@Art-J It is like common thing for 3rd parties, they go in to modeling and texturing, then FM coding take so much time that at time when FM is ready 3d model and texturing need complete rebuild. This indicate how much of work is needed to code FM.

• Like 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It’s a shame there were no F8Fs in Korea, although as they were in service with the USN (Atlantic fleet) at the time adding them is hardly a jarring leap of belief.

Korea is over looked generally, historically and sims. There’s interesting super prop and early jet gunzo combat, dramatic terrain, many nations involved. You can easily create believable what if scenarios for the Korean War, even with the US bringing nukes. Then with land use changes you can continue the what if scenarios to the present day. 

Korea would be a great map for DCS. EECH was set in Korea iirc.

• Like 1

The fact that the Bearcat's only combat came at the hands of the French as a ground attack plane has always made me scratch my head. I don't think that it would be too far off the mark to say that, at the time when the US Navy transferred all those F8F Bearcats over to the French Navy, it was one of the best prop driven fighters in the world but I'll never understand why it ended up in South East Asia hauling around 5" rockets and a couple 500 lb bombs when they had the F4U-7 Corsair available to them. Regardless, I will gladly jump into it's virtual cockpit and fly around on any map in the world of DCS and love every minute of it!! :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This thread made me nostalgic for Markindel's Mod:

9mnaAUf.jpg

64NaB4K.jpg

zNDJz70.jpg

Pity that it doesn't work since DCS 2.5.6 🙁

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, AG-51_Razor said:

The fact that the Bearcat's only combat came at the hands of the French as a ground attack plane has always made me scratch my head. I don't think that it would be too far off the mark to say that, at the time when the US Navy transferred all those F8F Bearcats over to the French Navy, it was one of the best prop driven fighters in the world but I'll never understand why it ended up in South East Asia hauling around 5" rockets and a couple 500 lb bombs when they had the F4U-7 Corsair available to them. Regardless, I will gladly jump into it's virtual cockpit and fly around on any map in the world of DCS and love every minute of it!! :worthy:

It seems the French were just desperate for aircraft to drop hardware on the local insurgents. Anything and everything easy to maintain and WW2 surplus lugged bombs and napalm, Spitfires, P63s, F6F, F8F, WW2 medium bomber types, even transports and liaison aircraft ( C47, Ju52…) were jury rigged for ground attack.

I assume F4Us were either 1000s of miles away back home in France or in use by the USN.