F8 Bearcat in the works

Devil 505

For an old naval warbird that didn't see action with US Forces in any conflict other than the French.There are quite a few flying today and in museums.They also probably have enough documentation from Grumman to model a realistic one for DCS.Same with the F7F Tigercat which also have a few examples flying today.

Well, all I was saying was that it wasn't used in the Marianas, or anywhere else during WW2, in case the original poster thought that. Calm down. From the looks of that cockpit shot it's going to be a beautiful model and I'll be following this one. I don't even care about using it in combat. I just want to fly it!

20 hours ago, Angelthunder said:

For an old naval warbird that didn't see action with US Forces in any conflict other than the French.There are quite a few flying today and in museums.They also probably have enough documentation from Grumman to model a realistic one for DCS.Same with the F7F Tigercat which also have a few examples flying today.

WW2 prop planes that were obsolete so available but relatively easy to maintain were popular with small countries air forces even till the 70s. S America, Africa etc. Late model Spifires, Hawker Sea Furies, F8Fs, P51s, P47s, many of the still airworthy examples survived via this route. US types were stored then available for sale as surplus also, unlike the UK where everything tended to be scrapped.

Personally I’d rather see aircraft that saw plenty of WW2 combat.

23 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Personally I’d rather see aircraft that saw plenty of WW2 combat

+1 .. I'd love to have the Me-262, the Me-110 or the Yak-3 (I know that I could fly them on that other Sim, but I much prefer the clickable cockpits of DCS).  If it had to be a US type, then the P-38 would be my choice.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Ercoupe said:

Well, all I was saying was that it wasn't used in the Marianas, or anywhere else during WW2, in case the original poster thought that. Calm down. From the looks of that cockpit shot it's going to be a beautiful model and I'll be following this one. I don't even care about using it in combat. I just want to fly it!

Yeah,if ED does make the whole earth modeled then the Bearcat will be great for What If Missions and scenarios from WWII to the Indochina War.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:29 AM, Mogster said:

Personally I’d rather see aircraft that saw plenty of WW2 combat.

Me too.

The Blue Angles flew it, but as a combat aircraft I really don't have a use for it.

Now a Hellcat or even better a Wildcat on the other hand...

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 12:01 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

Anything with a tailhook gets my full attention!! 👍

Amen brother!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've been waiting on the F8F Bearcat since VEAO folded all those years ago..... This little beast held a Time to Climb record until it was broken by a jet nearly a decade later! I hope they can finish the Mod and maybe work towards a full module some day. I'd definitely be in line to buy the Bearcat if she ever became a reality in DCS!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

2 hours ago, Ercoupe said:

I'd hope that they'd be able to model the "safety wingtips" that popped off if you overstressed the airframe. I'm sure that would be a favorite pass time for anyone flying it. "Let's see if I can make these wingtips go flying off!"

With EFM it's definitely possible ... with SFM not sure.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, Mogster said:

It seems the French were just desperate for aircraft to drop hardware on the local insurgents. Anything and everything easy to maintain and WW2 surplus lugged bombs and napalm, Spitfires, P63s, F6F, F8F, WW2 medium bomber types, even transports and liaison aircraft ( C47, Ju52…) were jury rigged for ground attack.

I assume F4Us were either 1000s of miles away back home in France or in use by the USN.

We had a squad member who flew Hellcats and Panthers in the Navy. I got to chat with a guy who flew F4U's off a carrier in Korea. I also chatted with others, like a guy who was in the Flying Tigers, and also a guy who was in B24's from North Africa to Romainian Oil Fields. Most of those guys are gone now.... a lot of other countries were stil flying our older stuff up until the 1960's. I saw a squad of Later 50's era Air Force Jets flying in South America in the 1980's, wing to wing one time while flying. Looked out the window of our aircraft and saw them in fomation off our wing. We were 30 years ahead of everyone with technology...

• Like 1

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

On 12/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, Ercoupe said:

'd hope that they'd be able to model the "safety wingtips" that popped off if you overstressed the airframe. I'm sure that would be a favorite pass time for anyone flying it. "Let's see if I can make these wingtips go flying off!"

They were de-activated pretty quick, as everybody came to grips it was a stupid idea in the first place. The airplane was g-downrated accordingly.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another excellent video from Greg’s Airplanes - this time about the super prop that was actually made and put into service the F8F Bearcat. 

It would be fantastic to get this module

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

On 1/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, Zad Fnark said:

Bearcats were actually starting to get shipped to front line squadrons when the war ended.  If the war had gone on a couple months longer, they'd have seen action.

They'd have been flying around yes, but not doing much of anything except strafing Japanese green houses.

My wife's grandfather few Hellcats and spent plenty of time over the Japanese home islands...never saw an enemy AC.

He did straf Japanesae greenhouses however. 😉

• Like 2