Petrovich is fun but..

Sir Gus

I was hopping for more interaction between the pilots..

like,when you press the ready weapons button,to actually hear Petrovich  saying "Copy,readying weapons..." for example.

Some voice acting could make the heli ride more fun and more immersing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sir Gus said:

like,when you press the ready weapons button,to actually hear Petrovich  saying "Copy,readying weapons..." for example.

Yes, this functions are sorely lacking, such as voice reporting of spotted enemies, confirmation of orders and giving reports.

This is planned during EA stage and hopefully coming out soon. It will give better interactions and a cool cockpit atmosphere. 😍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

A character and accent like Chekov from Star Trek would be very fun to fly with. It would really add something special to the Hind and differentiate very much from Jester´s character.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

09.12.2021 в 10:19, Rosebud47 сказал:

A character and accent like Chekov from Star Trek would be very fun to fly with. It would really add something special to the Hind and differentiate very much from Jester´s character.

Characters, you say? Add something special, you say? This is Mi-24P, one of the most ominous looking aircraft in history, an airborne APC with a 30mm blyat thrower so massive its recoil can and will throw you off course, and you want to crew it with kids barely out of diapers? Here are the real guys. The first guy is wearing the body armour they were supposed to wear in Afghanistan, but since it was too hot they were mostly equipped like the second guy.

Mi24_armour.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The second one looks like the lost member of The Village People. 😄

Seriously, I would prefer a fresh voice actor for Petrovich rather than another cynical, routinized Jester clone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

6 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

Characters, you say? Add something special, you say? This is Mi-24P, one of the most ominous looking aircraft in history, an airborne APC with a 30mm blyat thrower so massive its recoil can and will throw you off course, and you want to crew it with kids barely out of diapers? Here are the real guys. The first guy is wearing the body armour they were supposed to wear in Afghanistan, but since it was too hot they were mostly equipped like the second guy.

Mi24_armour.jpg

First dude looks like a 40k Space Marine......heyyy waiit a minute....!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whirley said:

I am looking forward to the voice acting. But please don't give him an accent.

I got your point, but as long as Petrovich is speaking english, there will be an accent anyways. Surely, and this I guess is your point, it shouldn´t be overpronounced in a way, that Petrovich´s character would be reduced to his accent.

Jester is recognized as an US citizen, by this, he doesn´t have an accent, when speaking american english.

Petrovich for sure will be presented by speaking english, but he should be recognized of russian origin. In my opinion, best way would be to have a well english speaking russian voice actor or  a very good voice actor, who could act like being of russian origin. If it just would be ignored and spoken by the same guy, who gave Jester his voice, the whole character thing would be lost and the voice reduced to AI algorythms.

Same as Jester, Petrovich´s voice is quite important for the experience of flying the Hind as it will always accompany the pilot in solo flights.

I like very much what Heatblur did with Jester, he often feels like a real person, when hearing his voice.   

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

everyone has an accent mate

Sure 🙂, I have a pretty strong accent in my native tongue myself. Sorry, I meant an accent that risks reducing him to only that. Similar to what @Rosebud47 explained.

Actually if that accent is perceived as negative or positive depends on many things. Some might think it reduces him others might think it gives him more character.

Some thoughts

1. I am no native English speaker. But I can understand English and listening to it feels natural and "neutral" to me.
  2. If he is speaking Russian and I could understand Russian this would feel natural to me and be neutral.
  3. If he is speaking English but with a strong accent it would add something. If this something is perceived as negative or positive depends on many things. But it is not something that is required. It would not be "neutral" anymore.
  4. As someone who can not understand Russian the English translation would make me feel like I could actually speak Russian and understand Petrovich. Giving him that accent would take away from that experience because then I would recognize that it is just English that we speak and he has a strong accent.
  5. As someone who can understand English I might at other times imagine flying with a crew from a non-Russian speaking country. If he had that strong accent, it would take away from that experience again. Because it would not be neutral and my co-pilot from country X would suddenly have a Russian-English-X accent. Which would make no sense unless the co-pilot was not originally from country X. Which is nothing negative. But it changes the experience.

I think it would be better to have a neutral English translation so people that can't understand the Russian voices but can understand English have all these options available to them.

Offtopic: It might be nice to have the option to select the voice over language separately from other language settings. Sometimes it is annoying that I can't understand the Russian speaking ground crew just because I am in a Russian faction slot on a multiplayer server. It is already nice to have the option to change the cockpit texts.

• Like 2

You´re right @Whirley: It does not make sense apart from an entertaining factor, if Petrovich speaks english with a russian accent.

In movies, I like the russian accent, when it is spoken, as it is a pretty cool accent, but the point is, that it is spoken, when the character is of russian origin, but in an english speaking country/ environment. That is not the case, when flying the Hind as a russian crew.

Yeah, Petrovich should be without accent - that would be the better and more authentic presentation. But he should have an individual character anyway, like young or old, routinized or first time in action and so on to perceive him as person/ Co-pilot.

In the options I have set the ATCs speaking in english, as I don´t understand any word in russian language.    

• Like 1

Prefer a Russian accent as well. 
I have worked with many people IRL who spoke with an accent so having a gunner with an accent would be normal. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I would prefer a Russian accent.

Admittedly, IRL every one Russian I talk to on a technical basis are doctors or engineers, so they have the ability to learn the English language in its entirety and properly. always Enunciation is clear and concise.

But even the lower educated Polish, Hungarian, Romanian and Russian accents pick up the English language perfectly and without trouble of understanding to a native English speaker.... to a non English speaker I guess this may be problematic.

I love the song or rhythm in the way they speak English, a pure Russian child especially. It is almost like a brumy accent. full of song as the accent ebbs and flows.

A Russian Accent in a Russian chopper is a must!     

But since playing with Vaicom pro and voice atttack, there is a whole new world that has only been tapped into by Heatblur and the F-14 and especially Vaicom. This must change quickly or ED will lose control of voice controlled commands and standardization, they will become the body being wagged by the tail.  

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, Zeagle said:

Russian please

It will be in both language, like ATC - Russian plus English.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 12/8/2021 at 9:10 PM, Sir Gus said:

Ultimately, the OP states what we want from our chopper co-pilots.

It will be the same with "Burt" ..... our apache co-pilot.

We want more interaction with our co-pilots.... same goes for the Gazelle, MI-8 and Huey.  

A kind of set coms standard for all of our pilot and co-pilot airframes.... a standard that will slowly grow in time with more complex responses to voice interaction. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Thanks 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.