P-51 engine quits.... a LOT

Boomer_G-Loc

It happens during the P51 vs P51 dogfight instant action in the Caucasus region.

1st time it was about 30 seconds into the flight right after the merge. I didn't see  him fire at me, but assumed I had been  hit. 

After that, it kept happening, but only seconds into the game (like 2 or 3 seconds after start).

Each time I would do an emergency landing into a field. And I don't know if the game allows it, but on the way down, I'd try for an emergency restart,  but get absolutely nothing. 

When starting the gameflight, the engine is already at the default game starting throttle setting, and again, this is now happening within the first 2 - 3 seconds of gameplay. 

All my engine gauges appear normal when it happens,  only thing I see happen is the  ammeter drops from normal to zero when the engine quits, but all else seems normal, unless I'm missing something deeper here....

I started saving and reviewing the tapes, and the opponent is not shooting at me, so I am not hit at the  merge. 

Can someone tell me what's going on here?

I have the 2.7 DCS version that is  *not* the open beta one. 

Thanks, 

2 hours ago, Boomer_G-Loc said:

I checked all those in the cockpit views,  all switches were in operating position. 

Will the cockpit view not represent the actual condition?

Well, there's still a months-old bug in P-51 with carb levers moving but not actually working if operated by mouse, but that in itself shouldn't kill the engine, it "only" reduces your power somewhat.

What Paganus means is - there are always multiple duplicated assignments in default controls table and unless you spend some time browsing through it and deleting them, you might be cutting off your engine with some button press without knowing about it.

In either case, posting a replay track would help a lot, otherwise we'll be running in circles here.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Are you pulling negative g’s?  The engine is carbureted.

It has injection type carburetor, it has no float chamber, negative G does not effect it in any way, so no abrupt cut outs under negative G, engine will cut out eventually due to fuel starvation, fuel tank's sumps not designed for negative G operation, but no abrupt cut outs.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

8 hours ago, Boomer_G-Loc said:

It happens during the P51 vs P51 dogfight instant action in the Caucasus region.

1st time it was about 30 seconds into the flight right after the merge. I didn't see  him fire at me, but assumed I had been  hit. 

After that, it kept happening, but only seconds into the game (like 2 or 3 seconds after start).

Each time I would do an emergency landing into a field. And I don't know if the game allows it, but on the way down, I'd try for an emergency restart,  but get absolutely nothing. 

When starting the gameflight, the engine is already at the default game starting throttle setting, and again, this is now happening within the first 2 - 3 seconds of gameplay. 

All my engine gauges appear normal when it happens,  only thing I see happen is the  ammeter drops from normal to zero when the engine quits, but all else seems normal, unless I'm missing something deeper here....

I started saving and reviewing the tapes, and the opponent is not shooting at me, so I am not hit at the  merge. 

Thanks, 

Maybe check where your RPM Lever is when you air spawn, it is located next to the Throttel. Possible inverted Axis there?  Usually this destroys your Engine pretty fast when the  Lever is in Idel RPM and the Engine is running full Boost with the Throttle. RPM Lever should be also fully Foward like the Throttle.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

OP, you sure that you didn’t overheat the engine?  It’s VERY easy to do, bizarrely so when the Spitfire seems to be near impossible to overheat, despite using the same engine

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

its unusual that your engine would die if you spawn in mid air if you do not make any adjustments and just fly straight level.

the system starts with a default setting and takes  a few seconds to read your inputs (eg throttle axis etc) and adjust to these unless you make adjustments on your own.

make a quick editor mission for simple flight, check, and save a track so we can see.

anything else is pure guessing.

2 hours ago, Doughguy said:

its unusual that your engine would die if you spawn in mid air if you do not make any adjustments and just fly straight level.

the system starts with a default setting and takes  a few seconds to read your inputs (eg throttle axis etc) and adjust to these unless you make adjustments on your own.

make a quick editor mission for simple flight, check, and save a track so we can see.

anything else is pure guessing.

If he has sync controllers option checked it will sync all inputs as mission starts, this can lead to unaware inputs applied.

But wild guessing is just pointless, track is very much needed.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 12/9/2021 at 5:13 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

OP, you sure that you didn’t overheat the engine?  It’s VERY easy to do, bizarrely so when the Spitfire seems to be near impossible to overheat, despite using the same engine

Yeah, that was my thought when I read the post. Are you watching your red lines? Keep your eyes on your rpm's and manifold numbers. Go over the red line and your prop will stop dead!

On 12/9/2021 at 1:10 AM, Boomer_G-Loc said:

1st time it was about 30 seconds into the flight....After that, it kept happening, but only seconds into the game (like 2 or 3 seconds after start).

Nothing could overheat in that short time - sounds like a controls conflict or mis-mapping (fuel cut-off?). All speculation without track file.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2021 at 8:10 PM, Boomer_G-Loc said:

Thanks, 

I was constantly having that problem, and panicking, when I finally realized that my Mixture was randomly going to Idle Cut-off. I still have the problem - no idea what is causing it - but I now have a switch on my throttle with 'up' being RiUN and 'down' being Idle Cut-off, and a button for Full Military Power. And as soon as I hear that Merlin cough, I just click on 'RUN' to fix it.

I also thought that I may have a duplicate binding I didn't know about, so I went to that binding and deleted everything connected to Mixture, including the keyboard commands. It still happens randomly, but not as bad. Tell the truth, I'm beginning to suspect my X-56 throttle control, because I have also had both gear activations and flap activations with no physical inputs. ..both controls are on the throttle control.

Edited by Florida
Thought I misssed something...
  • Like 1

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

I recall many years ago when using my old X-52 that there was an issue with ghost commands as they were called. That maybe what you have going on. 

Are you using the X-56 software to program any of the controls?  IIRC I had to use the saitek software for a couple of commands to simulate an extra axis or something  

So it could be the X-56, just a thought…

Edited by Sarge55

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Florida said:

I was constantly having that problem, and panicking, when I finally realized that my Mixture was randomly going to Idle Cut-off. I still have the problem - no idea what is causing it - but I now have a switch on my throttle with 'up' being RiUN and 'down' being Idle Cut-off, and a button for Full Military Power. And as soon as I hear that Merlin cough, I just click on 'RUN' to fix it.

I also thought that I may have a duplicate binding I didn't know about, so I went to that binding and deleted everything connected to Mixture, including the keyboard commands. It still happens randomly, but not as bad. Tell the truth, I'm beginning to suspect my X-56 throttle control, because I have also had both gear activations and flap activations with no physical inputs. ..both controls are on the throttle control.

I have the same 3 random problems using my X56: mixture going to cut-off, gear retraction on take-off roll, and random flap activation.

I Also have the 2 fingertip buttons (labeled H and I on the throttle) mapped to chase and cockpit view. I get random jumps to the chase view in DCS and also MSFS.

• 7 months later...

same

P51D30 engine just quits, instant missions,  seems to be some issue with the oil and water coolers not working in auto mode again,  when using the key binding customization assigned.

de-Brief state engine failure, but all steam gauges show nominal.

Screen front UI is green in the hanger, 

Screen_221031_091650.jpg

track I guess to big but at the end I'm rammed by a 109 K, didn't even engage me; just rammed right through my wing no damage to the 109 K4.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y0jtv6573o8n97g/28p51d30.zip/file

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Yesterday I did fly P-51D for hours, without issue. Only once when the oil was not warm enough for take-off. In debriefing was "engine jammed". But that was pilot's mistake. I also was able to run it on full WEP for 10 minutes. Until the engine is not too hot or too cold, it will run smoothly for a very long time.

Edited by AJaromir

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

So what is the issue, the engine or the 109?

P51D30

I found only that when you use custom keybinds they seem to work but the oil and water cooler are not actually returning to automatic.

and I don't see the oil & water inlets working.

the mention of the BF109K is it didn't engage me it just rammed right through me.. BF109K not taking any damage. but removed my wing as it went through me.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||