Frustration venting - Cold start on multiplayer servers

Trettifire

If you have another opinion, fine, let me know, and please come up with constructive arguments why. Or just say that you disagree. Don't be a dork and waste everybody's time with gatekeeping.

I'm a grownup. I have a limited time to play computer games. I enjoy playing on multiplayer servers because I like the interaction with other players and some of the server missions are pretty cool. I have a few friends that I play with, and we normally fly seriously and within the "simulation" aspect of DCS. 

What I don't understand is why most (in my experience) multiplayer servers have all the aircraft in COLD START. Some of these take quite some time to start up, and the mission tasks RARELY require more than a minute or so to set up systems on board and getting ordnance. So there I am wasting perfectly good game time waiting for the aircraft to spool up and align on auto start.

And yes, my fellow gamers, I realize that some of the immersion and realism is in having to run checklists and crank that baby up manually from the get-go. But after a bajillion startups, and frequently having my a*s handed to me in involuntary air to air combat (I'm an air to ground kinda guy), vegetating through those 4-5 minutes for each startup seems kinda wasted.

Is this cold start pandemic a conscious effort from the server administrators to add a level of realism? Is it to avoid too rapid regeneration of aircraft after deaths? Is it because that's what people really want? Or is it a conspiracy to run my frustration through the roof? 

And in good style when complaining about stuff - a few recommendations that I think could ease my frustration at least:

1. In server description on the multiplayer section - add "COLD START AC" or "HOT START AC" as a comment. 

2. Name aircraft "AV8B - KOBULETI - COLD" in the "select role" list. 

3. Stop using cold start aircraft in yer server, matey.

Thank you for your attention.

I don't know what servers you fly on, but in my case, it's the following:

Is this cold start pandemic a conscious effort from the server administrators to add a level of realism?
Yes, it's on purpose for that reason.

Is it to avoid too rapid regeneration of aircraft after deaths?
Yes. Very much yes.

Is it because that's what people really want?
No, I don't think so. You'd find many players who'd rather have it like you, I guess.

Or is it a conspiracy to run my frustration through the roof?
😉

I personally love everthing about flying any module in DCS. From the start up procedure all the way back to base (if I make it back) to the shut down procedure. The latter is not necessary, but RTB is to save the aircraft, otherwise, it counts as a loss and the team (not the player) loses an aircraft. That's a normality on my server. Nevertheless, very valid and understandable points from you for sure.

You can always have the aircraft run the auto-start procedure to at least save you the clicking and flipping of buttons and switches.
The Cold War server I run features older jets and the F-14A. The latter has the alignment saved by default to save you some time, but not enough time, I guess? Other jets or helicopters on the server don't require that much time to start up compared to the AV-8 you spoke of and the like.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Trettifire said:

If you have another opinion, fine, let me know, and please come up with constructive arguments why. Or just say that you disagree. Don't be a dork and waste everybody's time with gatekeeping.

I'm a grownup. I have a limited time to play computer games. I enjoy playing on multiplayer servers because I like the interaction with other players and some of the server missions are pretty cool. I have a few friends that I play with, and we normally fly seriously and within the "simulation" aspect of DCS. 

What I don't understand is why most (in my experience) multiplayer servers have all the aircraft in COLD START. Some of these take quite some time to start up, and the mission tasks RARELY require more than a minute or so to set up systems on board and getting ordnance. So there I am wasting perfectly good game time waiting for the aircraft to spool up and align on auto start.

And yes, my fellow gamers, I realize that some of the immersion and realism is in having to run checklists and crank that baby up manually from the get-go. But after a bajillion startups, and frequently having my a*s handed to me in involuntary air to air combat (I'm an air to ground kinda guy), vegetating through those 4-5 minutes for each startup seems kinda wasted.

Is this cold start pandemic a conscious effort from the server administrators to add a level of realism? Is it to avoid too rapid regeneration of aircraft after deaths? Is it because that's what people really want? Or is it a conspiracy to run my frustration through the roof? 

And in good style when complaining about stuff - a few recommendations that I think could ease my frustration at least:

1. In server description on the multiplayer section - add "COLD START AC" or "HOT START AC" as a comment. 

I think it’s also used as a balancing tool. If you can eject from an aircraft and respawn back into the enemies territory too quickly, then it could allow people to overwhelm the enemy despite not having an advantage otherwise. 
load up that av8b, launch a/g weapons, eject and repeat and suddenly a task which should take hours and teamwork to win a mission is done by 1 guy in an hour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trettifire said:

I do a mixture of COLD and HOT start on my server, as sometimes I just want to get up into the air a pew pew stuff

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

4 hours ago, HC_Official said:

I do a mixture of COLD and HOT start on my server, as sometimes I just want to get up into the air a pew pew stuff

That would be exactly what I'd be looking for. And marked so it is easy to see which is which. 

5 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

I think it’s also used as a balancing tool. If you can eject from an aircraft and respawn back into the enemies territory too quickly, then it could allow people to overwhelm the enemy despite not having an advantage otherwise. 
load up that av8b, launch a/g weapons, eject and repeat and suddenly a task which should take hours and teamwork to win a mission is done by 1 guy in an hour. 

A lot of these servers allow you to generate your own A-A or A-G mission anyway, so I'm sure having HOT start AC wouldn't ruin the fun on those...but I see your point. 

10 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

This, along with attracting the rinse-and-repeat Air Quakers..  I HATE hot starts and dont fly those servers.  Not the least is the need for my HOTAS needing a few seconds to sync and hot starts propel my jet forward uncontrollably.  Lest anyone be offended, well, too bad.

• Like 2

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, Steel Jaw said:

This, along with attracting the rinse-and-repeat Air Quakers..  I HATE hot starts and dont fly those servers.  Not the least is the need for my HOTAS needing a few seconds to sync and hot starts propel my jet forward uncontrollably.  Lest anyone be offended, well, too bad.

I disagree, I prefer hot starts since I do cold starts for a living - but hey, it’s a game and we all enjoy how we want!

As for your HOTAS, I used to have that problem. While you are in the select role page, give your throttle a bump forward then back to idle, this input should sync your HOTAS to its actual position. If it doesn’t work, try changing the setting in options “sync HOTAS at mission start” and try it again. If neither of these work feel free to PM me, I’ll dig into my actual settings and see if I can figure out how I rectified it.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2