F18 inspired generic cockpit WIP

sea2sky

Finally budgeted some time to start a progress on my cockpit. I will follow F18 measurements where possible, so not intending to build anything close to a 'replica'. I will be using 2 screens - a main 55 inch 4k TV and a Helios powered 24 inch monitor. Here are some pics below as a progress update:

20210215_115530.jpg

20210226_101738.jpg

20210310_161355.jpg

• Like 3

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

This looks great! I'm really interested to see how things progress as this is the exactly style of cockpit I'd love to build for myself. I too am using a 55" tv and a 24" touchscreen for Helios so this would be a great fit. Right now I'm using a combination of t-slot aluminum for some side panels and my seat but there is room for improvement.

Is that an office chair that you just took the wheels off of? Great idea about using the plywood on the sliders.

Are you sourcing the F18 dimensions from anywhere in particular? 

Keep up the great work and good luck moving forward!

Edited by Stewmanji

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

21 hours ago, Stewmanji said:

Is that an office chair that you just took the wheels off of? Great idea about using the plywood on the sliders.

I took an office chair and removed the legs and their hardware entirely. Then I used the existing threading in it with the right bolts attaching 2 plywood pieces. It looks a bit messy, but pretty solid.

seat.jpg

Are you sourcing the F18 dimensions from anywhere in particular? 

These 2 pictures:

Untitled-1.png

8ol0RhV.jpg

Side console stands are ready (well, almost ready... I still need to get the top and outside panels cut out and attached. For the sides I can't figure if it should be mdf or some more flexible material

consoles1.jpg

consoles.jpg

Edited by sea2sky

Also, changed my old saitek pedals a bit. Feels more suitable now. Unfortunately had to say good bye to the toe brakes... not sure if it was a good idea. Most likely will be replacing them in a future any ways.pedals.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Some messy work done on wiring led's, I hate how it looks on the back 🙂, but it works just fine. I used 3mm wide angle led's , 2-3 of them per a label.

led.jpg

led1.jpg

Edited by sea2sky

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 3:31 PM, Thanatos31 said:

I love the generic idea. Any progress? 

Well, my original concept has changed a big time. At some point the work in progress pit looked like this:

trackir.jpg

But then the devil allured me. One day I wanted to try my old Rift CV1 just to recall those old times and how it felt, and.... I got my soul sold to it again.... As a result I got my self a new Reverb G2 + 3080, and my wife has received my 4K TV 🙂 (which is a good thing, believe me)). So, my setup looks like this now:

pit.jpg

A short term todo list:

- complete the left/right console panels (the left is almost done)

- make a proper seat cover

- cover the mfd holes

- make a dashboard top cover

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...