DCS Gazelle Tutorial in preparation for Kiowa

CYPHER11

Hey guys,

In my personal preparation i started a tutorial series about the Gazelle - both versions, English and German are there. I would really appreciate your constructive feedback on this series so that the followed one (I guess you all know for what aircraft) arises to your satisfaction 🙂 thank you 🙂

DCS SA342 Gazelle Quick Start Tutorial - English Cockpit installation and Cockpit Tour - Part 1 [EN]

Hier die deutsche Version:

DCS SA342 Gazelle Quick Start Tutorial - Englisches Cockpit installieren/Cockpit Tour - Teil 1 [DE]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hey all together,

today the second part of our tutorial series is online. I hope it helps you guys and I am looking forward to your feedback. Have fun 🙂

Hallo zusammen,

heute ist der zweite Teil unserer YouTube Tutorial Reihe online gegangen. Ich hoffe euch hilft das Video und ich freu mich auf euer Feedback.

viel Spaß 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There it is - Part 3 is online - i wish all of you a merry Christmas! Stay healthy 🙂 Thank you all for the positive and constructive feedback 🙂 

Da ist er - Teil 3 - ich wünsche euch allen frohe weihnachten 🙂 Bleibt gesund! Danke für euer positives und konstruktives Feedback

Edited by CYPHER11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

How will this prepare for the Kiowa? Will it be technically the same, especially the unrealistic cyclic input and flight model?

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Thanks for the tutorials, I’m not currently flying the Gazelle but will for sure use them when I get back to flying her, will give my feedback at that point 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 12/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, RealDCSpilot said:

How will this prepare for the Kiowa? Will it be technically the same, especially the unrealistic cyclic input and flight model?

I have access to the Kiowa and will do some stuff before it gets released - maybe the wording is a bit misleading - it is my personal preparation in doing a tutorial series - I do it now with the gazelle to get feedback and then start with Kiowa as soon as a release is published. 

sorry if it confuses 😕

On 12/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks for the tutorials, I’m not currently flying the Gazelle but will for sure use them when I get back to flying her, will give my feedback at that point 👍

Thank you - that’s exactly what I need for the future 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, it’s Friday again - so, there it is - the next Part of the QST for the Gazelle - I am really Happy about your Feedback and all the praise you gave to me in the comments 🙂

Hope to see you guys next week - I wish you and your loved ones a happy new Year 🙂

Hey Leute, es ist wieder Freitag - also, Zeit für den nächste Teil des QST für die Gazelle - Ich freue mich sehr über euer Feedback und all das Lob, dass ihr mir in den Kommentaren gegeben habt.

Ich hoffe, wir sehen uns nächste Woche - ich wünsche Euch und Euren Lieben ein frohes neues Jahr 🙂

Deutsche Version des Videos: 

Edited by CYPHER11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey Guys,

today its the first time we use the Weapons of the L-Variant. I know it´s a bit short at the end - there was a recording Problem. I am sorry for that. But all the relevant Stuff is in the Video.

Thanks for your Feedback and the Likes, comments and everything else. Next Week we talk about trimming, the Autopilots and the Autohover 😃

Hallo Leute,

heute verwenden wir zum ersten Mal die Waffen der L-Variante. Ich weiß, es ist am Ende etwas kurz - Ich hatte leider Probleme mit der Aufnahme, aber alle relevanten Sachen gibt es im Video.

Danke für euer Feedback und die Likes, Kommentare und alles andere. Nächste Woche sprechen wir über das Trimmen, die Autopiloten und den Autohover 😃

Bis dann

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello CYPHER11

I saw the weapon video.
Everything is ok for me, your english is goog and easy to understand for non English people.

The content is ok too, good advices, and 10 min long is a good time format.

I suggest you 2 things :

1) run DCS with english locale.

It's not a problem to see DCS in german locale when we already know the module.

But with a new module, maybe it will be easier for viewers to see DCS English version ( menu, button, settings, rearmement panel.. etc )

2) maybe add some incrustation about armement procedure ( with a video pause ),
before to execute the procedure itself.

- 1 : Switch Arm On

- 2 : Select Gun/Rocket

- 3 : Flip Down
- 4 : Align and Trigger

Edited by fab.13
  • Like 1

Hey Guys, it´s Friday again. First of all i really want to say Thank you for all the Comments and the Feedback that you guys give to me. It really helps to improve myself and it makes more and more fun so see the own Progress and keep getting better.

In today´s Video we take a look at the following functions of the Gazelle: Trim, Autopilot and Autohover. I hope this Video helps again understanding the Systems of the Gazelle.

Thank you in advance for the Likes, comments and subscriptions to my youtube channel

German Version:

Hey Leute, es ist wieder Freitag. Zuallererst möchte ich wirklich Danke für all die Kommentare und das Feedback sagen. Es hilft mir wirklich, mich zu verbessern und es macht immer mehr Spaß den eigenen Fortschritt zu sehen und immer besser zu werden.

Im heutigen Video schauen wir uns folgende Funktionen der Gazelle an: Trimmung, Autopilot und Autohover. Ich hoffe, dass auch dieses Video hilft die Systeme der Gazelle besser zu verstehen.

Dickes Danke an euch für die Likes, Kommentare und Abos auf meinem Youtube-Kanal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, kotor633 said:

Hi,

Frage:

Warum lässt du die SAPHEI PGU bei Minute 2:30 außen vor?

Das ist eine gute Frage - jetzt wo du es sagst, weiß ich es tatsächlich nicht. Danke für den Hinweis, ich versuch in Zukunft auf sowas zu achten. Sorry 😩😩

On 1/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, fab.13 said:

Hello CYPHER11

I saw the weapon video.
Everything is ok for me, your english is goog and easy to understand for non English people.

The content is ok too, good advices, and 10 min long is a good time format.

I suggest you 2 things :

1) run DCS with english locale.

It's not a problem to see DCS in german locale when we already know the module.

But with a new module, maybe it will be easier for viewers to see DCS English version ( menu, button, settings, rearmement panel.. etc )

2) maybe add some incrustation about armement procedure ( with a video pause ),
before to execute the procedure itself.

- 1 : Switch Arm On

- 2 : Select Gun/Rocket

- 3 : Flip Down
- 4 : Align and Trigger

Hey cool, thank you for the explanation 🙂 I will take it into account for the future Videos - i already switched my Language to English for future Videos ( everything beyong Part 7 😉 ).

Thank you for the Feedback 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

sorry, i totally forgot to post it here - of course last Friday Part 7 came out - we discuss everything about the Viviane 😃

Thanks for your support 🙂

Hallo zusammen,

es tut mir leid, dass ich vergessen habe es hier zu posten. Natürlich kam letzten Freitag ein weiterer Teil über die Gazelle raus. Diesesmal gings um unser Sichtsystem, dem Viviane.

Danke für eure Unterstützung

• Like 2

Ich habe nun mal Folge 6 kurz angezappt – und dann voller Ärger gleich wieder aus. Wenn man schon die Trim-Funktion im Verhältnis zu federgelagerten Sticks diskutiert, warum macht man dabei nicht die Kontroller-Anzeige von DCS an??? Praktisch jedes Tutorial unterlässt das und zeigt nicht, welche Inputs gerade gesteuert werden. Geht es noch einsteigerunfreundlicher?

Zusätzlich frage ich mich ernstlich, ob du eine andere Gazelle fliegst als ich? Wozu braucht man in DCS die "große" Trimmung über den Trim-Button, wenn doch dank der Fehler im Flugmodell die Gazelle praktisch immer mit zentriertem Stick geflogen wird? Jeder größere Ausschlag führt zur Dauerdrehung und ist somit nicht auf Dauer zu gebrauchen. Eine Trimmung mag allenfalls beim manuellen Schweben nötig sein – nur sind selbst da die Ausschläge so klein, dass man besser mit dem Trim-Hat arbeitet als groß den Stick aus der Mitte heraus zu bewegen.

Du steckst in die Videos sicherlich viel Arbeit hinein, aber trotzdem bleibe ich ratlos zurück. 🤔

Edited by jumphigh
  • Thanks 1

Joystick input and flight model work wrong in general, i have no idea why they didn't follow ED's trimming and controls concept (it's the best for helicopter sims on home computers i've ever seen). The problem with tutorial 6 is also that a real Gazelle is trimmed a bit offset backwards to be able to go up straight before transitioning into forward flight. I have no idea what this has to do with preparation for the Kiowa, because it also needs a characteristic starting trim position like practically all helicopters (have a look at the other modules).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

8 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Joystick input and flight model work wrong in general, i have no idea why they didn't follow ED's trimming and controls concept (it's the best for helicopter sims on home computers i've ever seen). The problem with tutorial 6 is also that a real Gazelle is trimmed a bit offset backwards to be able to go up straight before transitioning into forward flight. I have no idea what this has to do with preparation for the Kiowa, because it also needs a characteristic starting trim position like practically all helicopters (have a look at the other modules).

I will do a QST about the Kiowa before release, i do this tutorial series to see which things I can do better for the next tutorial series 😉 that’s why it is preparation for the Kiowa ☝️

On 1/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, jumphigh said:

Ich habe nun mal Folge 6 kurz angezappt – und dann voller Ärger gleich wieder aus. Wenn man schon die Trim-Funktion im Verhältnis zu federgelagerten Sticks diskutiert, warum macht man dabei nicht die Kontroller-Anzeige von DCS an??? Praktisch jedes Tutorial unterlässt das und zeigt nicht, welche Inputs gerade gesteuert werden. Geht es noch einsteigerunfreundlicher?

Zusätzlich frage ich mich ernstlich, ob du eine andere Gazelle fliegst als ich? Wozu braucht man in DCS die "große" Trimmung über den Trim-Button, wenn doch dank der Fehler im Flugmodell die Gazelle praktisch immer mit zentriertem Stick geflogen wird? Jeder größere Ausschlag führt zur Dauerdrehung und ist somit nicht auf Dauer zu gebrauchen. Eine Trimmung mag allenfalls beim manuellen Schweben nötig sein – nur sind selbst da die Ausschläge so klein, dass man besser mit dem Trim-Hat arbeitet als groß den Stick aus der Mitte heraus zu bewegen.

Du steckst in die Videos sicherlich viel Arbeit hinein, aber trotzdem bleibe ich ratlos zurück. 🤔

Schade, dass du dir nur ein paar Sekunden/Minuten/Momente des Videos und nicht die Reihe an sich angeschaut hast - aber auch dein Feedback nehme ich mir zu Herzen, vielen dank dafür.

Da sowieso jeder ein anderes setup fliegt, habe ich lediglich zur Einführung das Thema mit den federgelagerten Joysticks angesprochen. Ich muss mit dem aktuellen model so wie es ist Arbeiten und zeige es eben anhand der aktuellen Version, was wie in echt gemacht wird, bringt einem Einsteiger in der aktuellen Version halt nichts. Ich bringe dazu gerne ein Update, sobald das neue FM implementiert ist 🙂 danke für deinen Kommentar 🙂 

• Like 1

@CYPHER11

Irgendwie hast du mich nicht richtig verstanden. Gerade das aktuelle FM erzwingt doch, dass man den Stick praktisch nie außerhalb der Zentrierung halten muss. Somit ist die Trimmung im Großen und Ganzen momentan bei der Gazelle kaum nötig.

Weiterhin ist das Einblenden der Controller-Anzeige völlig unabhängig vom Setup immer eine Hilfe. Denn gerade in dieser Anzeige sieht man die Funktion der Trimmung bei der Huey, Gazelle oder Mi-8 am besten – das würde dein Erklärung enorm aufwerten, sie ggf. erst verständlich machen. Nach Ansicht von Video 3 gehe ich eher davon aus, dass du diese absolut sinnvolle Funktion von DCS überhaupt nicht kennst. Warum sonst versuchst du in epischer Breite die Steuereingaben zu erklären, wo auch ein einziger Blick deiner Zuschauer ausreichen würde? Ein Grundsatz von Bewegtbildern ist: Show, don't tell!

Edited by jumphigh
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

today i uploaded Part 8 of the QST about the M-Variant. I am not sure if i can upload a Video next week because i have a lot of Work to do at the Moment. But i will continue the Series!

Have fun watching

Moin Leute,

heute habe ich euch den lang ersehnten Teil 8 der QST über M-Variante hochgeladen. Ich bin leider arbeitstechnisch wieder voll eingespannt und weiß nicht, ob ich nächste Woche ein neues Video bringen kann, aber es wird auf jedenfall weiter gehen.

Viel Spaß beim anschauen

• Like 2

@CYPHER11

Thanks, you got it! 🙂

And I see the same problems like I have: When slowing down and trying to get into a hoover the Gazelle climbs too fast. For me height control is much more difficult than e.g. with the Huey. On the Gazelle I even don't find a stable collective setting for IGE hoover. First it climbs than it suddenly loses height – all with the same collective.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...