F-16 MFD brightness dims selecting each menu

ac5

F-16 MFD brightness dims selecting each menu

This problem, already treated months ago:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/259080-mfd-brightness-for-each-menu/#comment-4501976

Still persists. Granted, it happens only at a relatively short timeframe, at dawn or dusk, but happens nevertheless.

This video was taken at Senaki, Caucasus, 1 May 2011, 19.50. Latest stable release. Please advise.

https://youtu.be/71BgjriLoPk

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 21H1

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

AC-Settings-DCS.jpg

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

24 minutes ago, cofcorpse said:

There is no error. Brightness is adjusted individually for each video page and for text pages.

Only thing I'm seeing, that displays are dimmed to early.

Then why does this not happen at night or during the day? Or in the F-18 and A-10?

Edited by ac5

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

At 33E/45N 2000m on 21 June 2016

According to A-10CII and F/A-18 and F-16:

• 20:59:35 is daytime
  • 20:59:36 is nighttime

"This doesn't happen with other airplanes" true. F-16 is a different airplane with different systems that work differently. Details can get tricky in terms of what is saved where and when according to what parameters.

MFDS allows independent selection of symbology S/B/C/G for each video format and a single selection of S for all text-only formats. There is a concept "display mode" that says it has a memory which returns the last selected S/B/C intensity. I don't know what display mode means if that is master mode or format or what. I'm going to assume it means format, e.g. if a display shows FCR then something else then FCR it will return to the last FCR SBCG.

I have found that the SBCG settings don't follow the FCR format correctly from RMFD to LMFD for example. By the description the SBCG values should follow the FCR format around regardless of which display it is on in whatever master mode. Similarly the sym rocker should affect all text-only displays on both displays the same i.e. SMS, DTE, TEST, FLCS, HSD, and blank should respond simultaneously on both displays if both displays are text-only formats. Other than the fact that both displays are not connected in memory (which is wrong by simple manual reading but maybe that's how it is, manuals can be light on details) I don't see any behavior which is other than documented so far. I haven't checked sensor gains though. (FCR GM in NAV gets confused when changing to the other display thought).

21 hours ago, cofcorpse said:

Can you clarify what you are talking about? What's not happening?

Changing / selecting each menu the MFD brightness dims ONLY at dusk or dawn (Twighlight situations).

The MFD brightness DOES NOT dim (does not change) at night or during the day.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• ED Team
45 minutes ago, ac5 said:

Changing / selecting each menu the MFD brightness dims ONLY at dusk or dawn (Twighlight situations).

The MFD brightness DOES NOT dim (does not change) at night or during the day.

I'm still not sure that I understood you, but I will try to explain. Default MFD brightness at mission start are determined by the mission start time - if it is night time, MFD will be dimmed. In your video all MFD formats are dimmed, and when you increase brightness of one page and switch to another, which has its brightness.

18 hours ago, Frederf said:

I have found that the SBCG settings don't follow the FCR format correctly from RMFD to LMFD for example. By the description the SBCG values should follow the FCR format around regardless of which display it is on in whatever master mode. Similarly the sym rocker should affect all text-only displays on both displays the same i.e. SMS, DTE, TEST, FLCS, HSD, and blank should respond simultaneously on both displays if both displays are text-only formats. Other than the fact that both displays are not connected in memory (which is wrong by simple manual reading but maybe that's how it is, manuals can be light on details) I don't see any behavior which is other than documented so far. I haven't checked sensor gains though. (FCR GM in NAV gets confused when changing to the other display thought).

I'm not sure you are correct, but I will check.

"SMS, DTE, TEST, FLCS, HSD, and blank should respond simultaneously on both displays if both displays are text-only formats".

The MFD brightness DOES NOT dim (does not change) at full night or during the bright day, as it should do in at dusk or dawn (Twighlight situations).

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• ED Team
2 hours ago, ac5 said:

"SMS, DTE, TEST, FLCS, HSD, and blank should respond simultaneously on both displays if both displays are text-only formats".

The MFD brightness DOES NOT dim (does not change) at full night or during the bright day, as it should do in at dusk or dawn (Twighlight situations).

Could you confirm your statement?
And MFD does not aim automatically, it is preset before mission start.

There is no error until any evindences is present.

Are you sure this is correct behaviour as is? I'm sure we shouldn't have to change the brightness setting for each MFD page individually. It's very unintuitive and time consuming to set the jet up and when entering A/G or A/A master modes the brightness changes.

Edited by howie87
  • Like 1

The text pages all share a single setting. The video pages each have their own setting set. There is a day bundle and a night bundle saved in the pilot's DTC preferences. He wouldn't have to set them in the airplane normally as they would normally load with the DTE file when starting the airplane.

• Text formats: SMS, DTE, TEST, FLCS, HSD, blank
  • Video formats: FCR, WPN, TGP, FLIR, RCCE

The particular format intensities  do not change between master modes. E.g. if you dim SMS in NAV then SMS is dim in AG. If you dim FCR in MO then it's dim in NAV. You're only seeing brightness changes because different formats are present in the different modes. If you have a track showing different intensities for the same format simply by a mode change then that would be good to see. I could not cause that behavior.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please have a look at the video, and read carefully my first post, and it will answer all the questions.....

This issue has been treated before:

But unfortunately "This topic is now closed to further replies." 

It seems clear to me that it is a bug and that should be addressed, just wanted to remind ED about it. 

Edited by ac5

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• ED Team
14 hours ago, Frederf said:

The particular format intensities  do not change between master modes. E.g. if you dim SMS in NAV then SMS is dim in AG. If you dim FCR in MO then it's dim in NAV. You're only seeing brightness changes because different formats are present in the different modes. If you have a track showing different intensities for the same format simply by a mode change then that would be good to see. I could not cause that behavior.

Could you confirm this?

10 minutes ago, ac5 said:

It seems clear to me that it is a bug and that should be addressed, just wanted to remind ED about it. 

Coudl you confirm that it is a bug?

Well, it does not seem to me that this would be a correct behaviour of the MFD's.. 

But at least it seems that ED is aware of this. In fact, now in spite that

brightness is dim changing / selecting each menu, once the brightness is adjusted, it stays this way.

If I remember correctly, that was not so some months ago.  

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• ED Team
4 hours ago, ac5 said:

Well, it does not seem to me that this would be a correct behaviour of the MFD's.. 

But at least it seems that ED is aware of this. In fact, now in spite that

brightness is dim changing / selecting each menu, once the brightness is adjusted, it stays this way.

If I remember correctly, that was not so some months ago.  

I apologize, but we cannot rely on feelings and assumptions, we need proof that the current behavior is wrong.

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

MT 2.9.1.48335

Single Player

Sinai (But can recreate in Nevada have not tried anything else)

Adjusting the MFD brightness seems to be separate for the save page tabs on the MFD. It is really annoying at night. One page could still be bright even though you changed it already.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Threads merged, it is correct as is, if you have unclassified evidence it should be different please PM me. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2