Getting the bf109k4 out of a dive

Emacs

Hi there,

I‘m new to the 109 and I‘m currently preparing myself for the Jagdflieger campaign.

During some test flights I found I have a hard time to get out of a dive during strafing runs.

I know about compression and I have read about the stick forces required in the 109 at high speeds.

I‘m not questioning the implemented flight model, but I would know about practical tips for diving and getting out of dives in the 109.

Flaps don‘t seem to be an option (way too fast).

Trim?

Shallower dives?

Don‘t strafe at all and leave that to the Antons?

What‘s your technique?

Cheers,

Emacs

Edited by Emacs

You could use trim to help yourself. 

You could also start the dive lower to reduce the speed. 

You could also put prop gov to manual and go to max RPM to minimise acceleration (just be cautious to not overrev). 

Doing a shallower dive may also help. 

So you see, you have quite a few tools at your disposal. 

Edited by razo+r

Perhaps that "way too fast" is the key, watch you aren't too fast before diving, and cutting out engine, maybe not necessarily idle but half throttle for instance, would help also instead of starting to dive at 500IAS and 1.4Ata&full throttle.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I find the flaps do work great when I dive bomb from 3 to 4k or do strafing runs.  Before you dive to strafe or dive bomb, put your flaps to bar 2(look on your wings to see them, Black bars 1 to 4, Red being for landing) then turn into target, lower your throttle, or throttle right down, depending on height and angle of attack.  Once you make your attack you will see how much easier it is to pull up and fly out with success.  make sure to start putting flaps back up while pulling up after the attack to keep your speed, and always dodge, you don't want to make it easy for the enemy to shoot you back.  Hope that helps mate.  Cheers.

• Like 1

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, grafspee said:

Just trim for dive

How would you do that in practice, @grafspee?  Just trim nose up prior to starting your dive or?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

2 hours ago, greco.bernardi said:

Sometimes i open the radiator like a air brake to reduce the dive speed and use a trim to help to noseup.

Putting prop into manual and then to high rpm is much more effective than trying to brake with open radiators.