Graphics configuration wizard

upyr1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

This is not even remotely true in most games that feature it, and repeating it ad-infinitum will not make it true. Not least of the problems with a general statement like this is that it's stated as factual while in reality this feature doesn't even exist in the game yet, and has no basis in reality. The only downside to the OPs suggested feature is the time and manhours it would take to implement in DCS World. 

If the replay system were fixed, anyone could make their own test track. Due to all the variety in maps and modules in DCS this would likely be more useful than trying to have a single standard one. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just now, SharpeXB said:

If the replay system were fixed, anyone could make their own test track. Due to all the variety in maps and modules in DCS this would likely be more useful than trying to have a single standard one. 

No it wouldn't, that's the opposite of any kind of standardization test, and is actually the very opposite of what would be useful in any kind of benchmark scenario. (I.E. You want to have the most standardized test across all platforms) 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

8 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The benchmark track requires you to set the graphics. It doesn’t determine them. It just tells you an FPS result. Do you own any games with this feature? It’s actually not very common. 

As I stated before I am asking for a bench mark utility with a mode that will test different graphics settings and determine what is the optimal configuration for your machine. So instead of going on about how you have never seen something like that, either try to contribute something productive or shut up.  Your entire argument against the idea comes down to the fact you had not seen it implemented before which really doesn't address the technical viability. 

Hello all, thought I might pop in and share with you what I may have to offer. I have a created a benchmark GUI solution that is capable of optimizing your graphics settings in 3 different ways. Quality, FPS, and Balanced. Each one of those optimizations will provide the best possible settings without sacrificing too much of the other. Ie Optimizing for FPS will provide you the best FPS without ruining quality, and balanced is a fine medium between FPS and Quality. Here you can see an example of a Balanced Optimization for a user who tested it.

4B7F5212-2150-4580-B8EB-EB9472C9072E.png

However a bit more testing is needed for me to be happy with it. It also does not consider you are using VR and is purely meant to be for 2D optimizing. This project has been on the back burner for some time due to me not having ample time to test it further, but if this has sparked any interest amongst anyone, please reach out via PM here or on discord DM @Wizard#5064 and I will provide you with the solution in exchange for valued feedback!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

No it wouldn't, that's the opposite of any kind of standardization test, and is actually the very opposite of what would be useful in any kind of benchmark scenario. (I.E. You want to have the most standardized test across all platforms) 

I see the logic in having a standard one. But given the sandbox nature of DCS it’s hard to describe what that would involve. 
Also since the replay function doesn’t work, this feature is probably not possible for the foreseeable future. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just now, SharpeXB said:

I see the logic in having a standard one. But given the sandbox nature of DCS it’s hard to describe what that would involve. 
Also since the replay function doesn’t work, this feature is probably not possible for the foreseeable future. 

You are assuming that it would use the replay function at all. A proper scenario would probably be a bit more involved than that, and a standardized one (I.E. using the same scenario, mission file, free module etc.) would be pre-programmed for a single specific run each time on a client's machine. As such it shouldn't even be susceptible to the regular problems of a track replay, otherwise it would be completely useless. 

In any case, it would not be a simple task to implement something like this in DCS World, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be very useful either as a benchmarking or a bug-finding tool. (in specific cases). 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

15 minutes ago, Wizxrd said:

Hello all, thought I might pop in and share with you what I may have to offer. I have a created a benchmark GUI solution that is capable of optimizing your graphics settings in 3 different ways. Quality, FPS, and Balanced. Each one of those optimizations will provide the best possible settings without sacrificing too much of the other. Ie Optimizing for FPS will provide you the best FPS without ruining quality, and balanced is a fine medium between FPS and Quality. Here you can see an example of a Balanced Optimization for a user who tested it.

However a bit more testing is needed for me to be happy with it. It also does not consider you are using VR and is purely meant to be for 2D optimizing. This project has been on the back burner for some time due to me not having ample time to test it further, but if this has sparked any interest amongst anyone, please reach out via PM here or on discord DM @Wizard#5064 and I will provide you with the solution in exchange for valued feedback!

Thanks as soon as you add VR mode, this will be exactly what I am asking for. I am interested. 

7 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Thanks as soon as you add VR mode, this will be exactly what I am asking for. I am interested. 

Unless I'm completely off-base this does not look even close to what you are asking for, as this is looks like a preset value optimizer, which is basically almost the same thing as what we already have under Graphical Options in-game. Or does this run some kind of benchmark on your PC and then based on the results of that benchmark optimizes those settings for any given PC configuration?

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Unless I'm completely off-base this does not look even close to what you are asking for, as this is looks like a preset value optimizer, which is basically almost the same thing as what we already have under Graphical Options in-game. Or does this run some kind of benchmark on your PC and then based on the results of that benchmark optimizes those settings for any given PC configuration?

The developer literally states 

31 minutes ago, Wizxrd said:

Hello all, thought I might pop in and share with you what I may have to offer. I have a created a benchmark GUI solution that is capable of optimizing your graphics settings in 3 different ways. Quality, FPS, and Balanced.

I highlighted a key word there. So it is not what we have now, which simply gives you presets but from what I can tell does not take your system into account. Instead it look like trying to examine your hardware and configure DCS based on that. 

22 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

The developer literally states 

I highlighted a key word there. So it is not what we have now, which simply gives you presets but from what I can tell does not take your system into account. Instead it look like trying to examine your hardware and configure DCS based on that. 

Well I guess that is a step above the built in presets, but how exactly does it measure your system performance in the first place? The best way would be to run a benchmark of some kind within the DCS World engine, and then make a determination based on the results of that benchmark. Wasn't this the point of your OP? 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well I guess that is a step above the built in presets, but how exactly does it measure your system performance in the first place? The best way would be to run a benchmark of some kind within the DCS World engine, and then make a determination based on the results of that benchmark. Wasn't this the point of your OP? 

I'd assume standard benchmark tests. It might not be 100% ideal but it is what I am describing. @Wizxrd is the person to ask about the details. 

1 hour ago, Wizxrd said:

Thank you for sharing Wizard. I would be interesed to try it to see how it compared to my own trial and error settings if it helps you also. Seems a more sensible thing to do than sniping about something one hasnt even tried. Ill PM you. 

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Many if not most games today have automatic graphics optimization or settings. I’m sure they just detect your hardware and apply what’s been determined as optimal. They don’t run a benchmark to do this on your machine, the tests or settings are determined by the developer

How is this determined? my guess is:

- Beta testers, I’ve done this exact sort of testing for another sim. 
- In the case of GeForce Experience, a “cloud data center that simulates thousands of PC hardware configurations”

- Sampling telemetry from the players is another possibility 

But ED is a small team and this seems infeasible for them to deal with. In the end it’s not so difficult for players to simply do this on their own. Unless you’re being obsessive compulsive about this, just select a preset, check your performance with the in-game tool, make a few adjustments to your taste and be done with it. 

In short, the measurement comes from loads of my own testing. It gathers data on your hardware and then from the optimization you choose it will change each setting on an individual level within some defined limits. It’s a step above the standard low, medium, high you see in game because this actually factors in your own hardware and changes accordingly. But as SharpeXB has said, it has been what I’ve found to be the “optimal” change for each setting.

Edited by Wizxrd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Many if not most games today have automatic graphics optimization or settings. I’m sure they just detect your hardware and apply what’s been determined as optimal. They don’t run a benchmark to do this on your machine, the tests or settings are determined by the developer

- Beta testers, I’ve done this exact sort of testing for another sim. 
- In the case of GeForce Experience, a “cloud data center that simulates thousands of PC hardware configurations”

- Sampling telemetry from the players is another possibility 

But ED is a small team and this seems infeasible for them to deal with. In the end it’s not so difficult for players to simply do this on their own. Unless you’re being obsessive compulsive about this, just select a preset, check your performance with the in-game tool, make a few adjustments to your taste and be done with it. 

Most games use a list to determine the best settings for your machine. That list would be as you said based on information provided by beta testers.  The problem with the list is it has to be maintained and updated, which is why I suggested a benchmark utility like the one @Wizxrd has built. The entire point to suggesting the benchmark took as to automate the process. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Most games use a list to determine the best settings for your machine. That list would be as you said based on information provided by beta testers.  The problem with the list is it has to be maintained and updated, which is why I suggested a benchmark utility like the one @Wizxrd has built. The entire point to suggesting the benchmark took as to automate the process. 

Or you could just pick a preset and get on with your life. It’s not so difficult. If you’re using VR there’s no hardware which will currently get acceptable performance from DCS. So if that’s what you’re looking for you’re out of luck. 

13 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Or you could just pick a preset and get on with your life. It’s not so difficult. If you’re using VR there’s no hardware which will currently get acceptable performance from DCS. So if that’s what you’re looking for you’re out of luck. 

I'm currently using the VR preset. I don't get why you have such strong opposition to something that will take a look at your hardware, especially after someone in the community has started work on a utility to do system based settings.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I'm currently using the VR preset. I don't get why you have such strong opposition to something that will take a look at your hardware, especially after someone in the community has started work on a utility to do system based settings.   

Having the game auto configure your graphics would be great. But I don’t think it’s something ED has time to implement. And DCS is just one big ongoing beta test. It’s never “complete” like some other games. So developing those presets would just be an ongoing burden. 
Asking ED to put time and effort towards stuff that amounts to just handholding takes away effort from more important things. If I was running VR I would much rather they spent effort on the engine upgrade.

Edited by SharpeXB

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Many if not most games today have automatic graphics optimization or settings

In other words, what you said earlier that this is not something that exist in modern games was complete bunk, and you said it know that what you said was complete bunk.

You are effectively admitting that you're trolling now. You realise that, right?

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Your guesses have a long-standing tradition of being so wildly off the mark that I'm frankly amazed that even you, yourself, trust them at this point. 😄

34 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Having the game auto configure your graphics would be great. But I don’t think it’s something ED has time to implement.

Good thing that ED disagrees with you. “Taking time away” to make the game inherently and unquestionably better and more approachable is among the most important things a developer can ever do, and given that you have never in all your trolling been able to articulate what this ”more important thing” is that you always use as an excuse to keep the game unappealing, bad, and constantly falling behind the rest of the industry, you need to really come up with something more intelligent and insightful than that tripe.

What else should they spend time on? Can you come up with a single thing that would improve the game for literally everyone that would be a better use of their time?

• Like 3

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

6 minutes ago, Tippis said:

What else should they spend time on? Can you come up with a single thing that would improve the game for literally everyone that would be a better use of their time?

Judging by how he acts both here and in certain other threads, it likely includes making a requirement that everyone have a full sim pit for the aircraft they want to fly.

Edited by Tank50us
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Having the game auto configure your graphics would be great. But I don’t think it’s something ED has time to implement. And DCS is just one big ongoing beta test. It’s never “complete” like some other games. So developing those presets would just be an ongoing burden. 
Asking ED to put time and effort towards stuff that amounts to just handholding takes away effort from more important things. If I was running VR I would much rather they spent effort on the engine upgrade.

If you think it would be great to have, but would rather see them work on improving the graphics engine first; then why not say that. I don't know how much time it would take Eagle to implement the idea though I do think it would be worth doing as it will improve the usability of DCS.  I don't expect them to drop everything they are doing to implement an idea from the Wishlist section. 

Edited by upyr1

2 hours ago, Tippis said:

In other words, what you said earlier that this is not something that exist in modern games was complete bunk, and you said it know that what you said was complete bunk.

You are effectively admitting that you're trolling now. You realise that, right?

I think that was in regards to my suggestion of hooking up the graphics wizard to a benchmark utility. Which obviously I was suggesting since it would result something that would work for any system. Not seeing something really isn't a good argument against having it. 

Edited by upyr1

So I went ahead and tried @Wizxrd's App.  It doesnt come with a benchmark trk yet so I created my own one for each of the Caucaus, Syria and Channel Maps. Harrier at 200ft over mixed terrain and built up areas measured with Fraps. 

Does it work? Yes.  The balanced setting got me to within a whisker of my own settings that Ive come to over the past 5 years of DCS and 20 years of simming. Moreover, it put me there with what I would consider to be the right amount of headroom (at least in 2.5.6OB - 2.7.8 is not performing great but hopefully there may be a fix for the loss coming). This said I play at 1080P on a 60 Hz monitor and the app doesnt currently take into account resolution or refresh rate. So with my set up, It appears Im lucky that it matches what it apeears to be set up for. 

Did it exacly match my own settings?  No. But these are personal preferences based on my playing  perferences for ground pounding and Helos. If I were a 2500M plus jet jockey they ould have been. Certainl no big "huhs??" were apparent. Whatever way I wanted to use the game, If I were new to DCS Id be in pretty much a prefect position to enjoy it from the get go without it turning into a stuttering blocky mess. (on a 1080P 60hz monitor). 

Is it perfect? - Yes and No - the app does as well as DCS allows it to and hits a combination of settings that are more refined than the DCS default presets do.  HOWEVER - DCS maps are inconsistent. I dont mean one runs faster than another - the Wizard took care of that and gave me settings I could run even in the Channel and Syria. What I mean is the build of the maps vary way too much.  For instance, the LOD sliders work well in the Channel with a good amount of scope to fine tune but less so on the Causcauses. In Syria its on or off, very very little scope. Trees Visibility in the Channel Map is much more subtle than in the Caucauses  where reducing forest visibilty is really too noticable and so on. LODS in general are all over the place.  This is something Wizxard may perhaps take into consideration should he develop it further but its primarliy an ED thing. 

Is it Worthy - Absolutley - I havent a clue how it works but I can only say that the more feedback Wizxard gets, the better the app may get.  At this time if took my rig and hooked it up to a 4K or 1440P screen I may be disappointed but Id also be an idiot to do so with my rig anyhow. Thats pretty easy to factor out with some simple goal keepers and perhaps some more development (Recommend resolutions for instance GTX1080 for 1080P, 2080ti for 1440P or whatever).  

Anyhow - hit him up and give it a whirl (if you are serious about providing the feedback he is asking for).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

23 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

So I went ahead and tried @Wizxrd's App.  It doesnt come with a benchmark trk yet so I created my own one for each of the Caucaus, Syria and Channel Maps. Harrier at 200ft over mixed terrain and built up areas measured with Fraps. 

Does it work? Yes.  The balanced setting got me to within a whisker of my own settings that Ive come to over the past 5 years of DCS and 20 years of simming. Moreover, it put me there with what I would consider to be the right amount of headroom (at least in 2.5.6OB - 2.7.8 is not performing great but hopefully there may be a fix for the loss coming). This said I play at 1080P on a 60 Hz monitor and the app doesnt currently take into account resolution or refresh rate. So with my set up, It appears Im lucky that it matches what it apeears to be set up for. 

Did it exacly match my own settings?  No. But these are personal preferences based on my playing  perferences for ground pounding and Helos. If I were a 2500M plus jet jockey they ould have been. Certainl no big "huhs??" were apparent. Whatever way I wanted to use the game, If I were new to DCS Id be in pretty much a prefect position to enjoy it from the get go without it turning into a stuttering blocky mess. (on a 1080P 60hz monitor). 

Is it perfect? - Yes and No - the app does as well as DCS allows it to and hits a combination of settings that are more refined than the DCS default presets do.  HOWEVER - DCS maps are inconsistent. I dont mean one runs faster than another - the Wizard took care of that and gave me settings I could run even in the Channel and Syria. What I mean is the build of the maps vary way too much.  For instance, the LOD sliders work well in the Channel with a good amount of scope to fine tune but less so on the Causcauses. In Syria its on or off, very very little scope. Trees Visibility in the Channel Map is much more subtle than in the Caucauses  where reducing forest visibilty is really too noticable and so on. LODS in general are all over the place.  This is something Wizxard may perhaps take into consideration should he develop it further but its primarliy an ED thing. 

Is it Worthy - Absolutley - I havent a clue how it works but I can only say that the more feedback Wizxard gets, the better the app may get.  At this time if took my rig and hooked it up to a 4K or 1440P screen I may be disappointed but Id also be an idiot to do so with my rig anyhow. Thats pretty easy to factor out with some simple goal keepers and perhaps some more development (Recommend resolutions for instance GTX1080 for 1080P, 2080ti for 1440P or whatever).  

Anyhow - hit him up and give it a whirl (if you are serious about providing the feedback he is asking for).

I've contacted him about VR testing.  

• Like 1